Best single play in Saints' history excluding Porter's pick-6 and Gleason's punt block (1 Viewer)

Uhh, how about their first play?

Yep I was going to jump in an represent for us old timers. You would have to understand the times. We finally had an NFL team after years of waiting. We had gone 6-1 in the “”Exhibition Season “ as it was appropriately called back then. The excitement level in Tulane Stadium was off the charts on what I recall was a gorgeous day. Al Hirt blaring his trumpet on the sideline. Then Joe Gilliam did his thing as we went bonkers. This NFL thing was going to be easy. For a few seconds or minutes we were on top of the world.

There was no SR back then. We waited each morning for the Times Picayune to bring us something about our beloved team. Didn’t matter that we ultimately lost that game and a bunch more. There were no critics. No one cared if we lost. Billy Kilmer and Doug Atkins and Danny Abrams (never could complete the spelling) and John Gilliam and the others were the best team in the NFL the record be damned

I remember after the last game that year. I think we won but doesn’t matter. Sitting in the stands for long after the players had left the field with hundreds of others. My dad getting frustrated with me not wanting to leave. Peter Finley (I think) wrote about that the next day saying something like “those crazy Saints fans decided to stay in the stands and wait till next year starts”. Such was the blind love

The winning and SB and all the great things these days are wonderful. But that “young love “ of a team is something you youngens won’t understand

I’m going with what is now old school and picking the Saints great goal line stand to beat the Steelers and give the Saints their very first winning season in ‘87. Wilks and Mills and the rest of a great Saints defense get the job done. I was 14 at the time and running around screaming after that play and woke the whole neighborhood up. We had finally done it. I still smile thinking about that goal line stand and stop at 4th and 2. Those were the days. Old 3 Rivers stadium, Chuck Noll, Jim Mora, that Incredible Saints D.....

I'm gonna go with Ambush. It turned the Super Bowl for us.

I'm gonna go ahead with the worst play in Saints history. When Jim Dombrowski retaliated after Dexter Manley spit on him.
The penalty cost us the game and the playoffs.

I’m going with what is now old school and picking the Saints great goal line stand to beat the Steelers and give the Saints their very first winning season in ‘87. Wilks and Mills and the rest of a great Saints defense get the job done. I was 14 at the time and running around screaming after that play and woke the whole neighborhood up. We had finally done it. I still smile thinking about that goal line stand and stop at 4th and 2. Those were the days. Old 3 Rivers stadium, Chuck Noll, Jim Mora, that Incredible Saints D.....

Excellent choice but this thread is about single plays, not groups of plays.

I'm really liking the variety we're getting here. Maybe we could compile a top 100 Saints plays list after this thread's been active for a few days.

Hartley FG to get into Super Bowl.
Finally, someone said it. When I saw the title of the thread, this is the only play that came to mind. In fact, I actually put it ahead of the 2 in the title. How is it that only one person has mentioned it. I figured it would be the only mentioned in thread. Wow!

Wow, just thinking about all of this put chills running through my body.

I saw in person:

Porter Pick 6
Gleason's Blocked Punt
The Milne Recovery (Hakim Drops The Ball!)
Ambush
The Meachem Strip 6
Deuce on the Eagles
Porter picks Favre
Hartley FG

So, I have to pick one, besides the top two......

Single best "play" to me means a great effort, first off, then an effort that turns the game around. It is a close one for me between Porter Picks Off Favre and The Meachem Strip 6.

I'm going with Meachem Strip 6. It kept that game alive, we looked like we were dead ducks for a while, I was at the game by myself, lower level, in the midst of Redskins Season Ticket Holders, the play happened right in front of me and that game resulted in one of the greatest quests of Saints Report lore....Finding the Unknown Who Dat! He did exist, he was right next to me, not 10 feet away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom