Best state in the south for football at all levels (high school, college, pro)? (1 Viewer)

Which Southern State has the best football?

• Tennessee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Carolina

• South Carolina

• Oklahoma

• Georgia

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Florida

Votes: 39 14.3%
  • Alabama

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Mississippi

Votes: 35 12.8%
  • Louisiana

Votes: 133 48.7%
  • Kentucky

• Arkansas

• Texas

Votes: 52 19.0%

• Total voters

TPS

Reaction score
What do you think? This could include all levels of football.

TPS

Alabama TPS. Sorry steve as far as college goes, its a religion down here, next week in the Iron Bowl week , this state will go bonkers and literally to standstill becuase its an unofficial holiday in alabama, ask Bulldawg or stevedrum they will tell you how much football means to the people of Alabama, as far as La. goes, its second IMHO, I say that wiht caution becuase I like the Saints and we all know that their are a lot of rabid dog fans of this team in La. you can testify to that, Steve. I dont want to offend any fellow Saints fans on here becuase I love New Orleans and the Saints, but if its a poll and a pick you want, Steve, it would be a slight advantage to Alabama man, wth La. a close second. Mississippi third, and so on. but Alabama football is like the official spot everybody talks about. in fact the state legislature actaully picks sides on the way the people want to win. Some people make freidnly wagers, bets, or even arguments about it, thats rare that you see that Steve in any other state in this country, maybe La. becuase of the Saints,but regardless Alabama has a religous following of football in every aspects

its florida

and anyone voting for LA. is a homer

Notably absent: texas
So many big high school teams (they made a movie about Odessa Permian..)
Huge college football: UT, A&M, Tech, SMU, TCU, etc.
Cowboys have achieved a great level of success even though they have TOitis right now. Oilers/Texans not so much a big deal.

FWIW the NFL gave out an award to Mississippi this year as the top football state in the country http://www.usafootball.com/press-box/press/index.php?&id=45
I know there are some good programs in all of the states, but I would love to see the top high schools in any state play against the South Panola Tigers. If Mississippi colleges would do a better job of recruiting the top players in our home state, the SEC standings would look alot different.

Last edited:
bea5t, you know about the Iron Bowl man, you know the impact it has on people in this state I live in. I mean its a religion down in Alabama, one of the most infamous and classic rivalries of all time, you have it Alabama/Auburn. It talked about everywhere, schools, stores, malls, everywhere.

How can someone not look at that and say that Alabama is not the biggest Southern state with the best stats to back it up.

I would say Texas...

But somebody forgot them on the list.

Second, LA.

Brees, thats a unfair award to the people of schools of alabama and Auburn, you look at how many people in the HOF and mulit Pro Bowlers, their are a lot of them frm our schools, especially in the late 60's, 70's, and 80's under Bear Bryant and Pat dye.

The NFL owes a great deal of credit to the state of alabama for its popularity and in developing players to whom had great careers in the NFL later on

>>Notably absent: texas

My bad. You can't edit polls, but hopefully a mod can put them in as another choice. I don't think the ball in Texas, overall, is as good as in Florida. I think they're overrated for the large population base. That's just my opinion and I'm sure many people would disagree.

TPS

You are not a homer if you pick Louisiana. Louisiana is as legit as any state in the poll. Lousiana, Florida, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, in no particular order. Put them all in a bag and shake em up and they all come out the same. I think it may vary from year to year but these states are consistently at the top.

I chose Louisiana. Hard decision between Louisiana and Florida. I think Texas is better than both, but they are only as good as they are because of the tremendous population.

We will have to settle the debate in the Arena Football League!

Anybody? Anybody?

>>Notably absent: texas

My bad. You can't edit polls, but hopefully a mod can put them in as another choice. I don't think the ball in Texas, overall, is as good as in Florida. I think they're overrated for the large population base. That's just my opinion and I'm sure many people would disagree.

TPS

Done - I voted for Florida too. The others have a bit of a head start in the edited poll though, so I don't know how indicative it is. I'm staying with my pick though.

Why have states like Arkansas, Alabama, and Oklahoma on there? They don't have pro-teams. Why have states like Mississippi on there, they don't even have college football teams? :D

If you mean players, and per capita, it's Mississippi. If you mean players, and total, it's Florida easily. If you mean by teams it's Louisiana purely due to the Saints!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom