Best trade the Saints have ever made? (1 Viewer)

Individual players traded for, you can't beat Vilma and Mckenzie.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, in 2006 traded back in the 2nd and got Harper as a starter with the pick and Faine as a throw-in. And then we traded back in the fourth and got Jahri with the pick and Hollis Thomas as a throw-in.

And later that year, we traded Stallpepper for Simoneau and a pick that I think we used on Bushrod.

That was some cool shenanigans.

the 2002 trade that sent Roaf to KC for a 3rd was the Chiefs' best ever, and, I suppose, one of our worst, especially since we used that pick to get Tebucky Jones;

That trade wasn't for a player, it was an honor Seppuku.

06-09 team had a few players from good trades. Vilma, Shockley,Fujita

And not so good
Simoneaux

Simoneau! I remember we kept bringing in players to take his spot and he kept winning the job. Thank God for Vilma.

Roaf was so good he made the best franchise trade list twice, once for us and once for the Chiefs.

I disagree with some of these...

Redskins
IMO should have been: Ken Houston
For: OL Jim Snowden, TE Mack Alston, WR Clifton McNeil, DE Mike Fanucci, and DB Jeff Severson.
Result: 7 Pro Bowls with the skins and a HoFer. One of the Top 10 greatest Safeties of all-time and consider by many a Top 100 player of All-Time.

NY Giants
IMO should have been: Y A Title
For: OG Lou Cordileone, who finished his career with the Saints. By comparison giving up Philip Rivers was a bigger trade off.
Result: 3 consecutive MVPs (NEA, UPI, and AP) with 3 championship game appearances.

I say the trade for all of the Draft Picks for Ricky Williams was the best trade that we ever made. It made the football gawds look down upon us from the heavens with sympathy and they said "Send Breesus to Nawlins, they need a miracle to recover from that".

Triplett is correct. Swilling was an all time great Saint but at that point in his career, he was past his prime. For him, the Saints got Roaf, a Hall of Famer and maybe the best player at his position in the history of the NFL. Hard to top that.

This one was my vote. And man was I mad when it happened.

October, 1980:
Chuck Muncie to SD Chargers for a 1981 #2 draft choice ... Rickey Jackson

Muncie was extremely talented but a real problem w/domestic abuse and cocaine use. He wasn't the only "problem player" from that horrible 1980 season, but he was the most immature and irresponsible.

Jackson played 13 seasons for the Saints, and missed only 1 game ... and is a NFL Hall-of-Famer.

I agree it's Vilma because of the championship. A one off should be Aaron Brooks. A third round to GB netted our first playoff win. That was a major accomplishment for NO.

Best trade Saints have ever made

New Orleans over San Antonio.

Lot of (business) people thought it was a bigger market, smart move - right after Katrina. Benson traded loyalty for dollars.

Still proud of that choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom