Best way for the Saints to move up in the draft.... (1 Viewer)

wowatkin

The People's Champ
Reaction score
I know many of us don't want to hear it, but the best (and most realistic) way for us to move up is to use Will Smith as trade bait. When Charles Grant signed his mega deal this past year, I immediately cringed at thinking what dollar amout it would take to retain Smith. I'm not a draft-nik nor do I pretend to be one. Will is probably our best defensive talent, but for some reason, I keep seeing him in another jersey at some point in the near future.

I know a lot of posters out there are drawing up scenarios that would get us into top-5 position. Can Will Smith get us there? Not that I would like to see it happen, but just a thought.

I've braced myself, so flame away....

He would be enticing trade bait for a number of teams, but I see it as taking a step back to take a step forward, you stay in the same place. If it came down to having to trade him they should deal him for a later 1st round pick and add the picks.

I've heard Smith called the key playmaker on Defense by people in the Saints FO, so, by going from that, I would say he would not be dealt unless he asks for rediculous money.

If Smith was dealt, who would start opposite Grant..........Wynn?

The only position in my mind we have an abundance of and could get away with losing is players on the OL. I could see us dealing a player on the OL to move up if the FO decides that we need to go up to get someone they covet.

No. That would just give us another hole to fill. Quality DE's are precious in this league and even harder to find. I think with Coach O and with dropping a few pounds(not to mention he is in the infamous contract year), he will excel this year.

who says the Saints want to move up in the draft anyway?.....besides people on this forum?

No. That would just give us another hole to fill. Quality DE's are precious in this league and even harder to find. I think with Coach O and with dropping a few pounds(not to mention he is in the infamous contract year), he will excel this year.

I sure hope he does excel. We need his production.

Just for argument though, what is he worth in draft terms. And can anyone out there put him in a scenario (with a team) that would put us in the top 5 draft wise? I really appreciate the draft talk on the board.

Let me say this though- even with the FO giving Smith the thumbs up, nothing is guaranteed in this league. Despite being our best defender, he still can be trade ammonution....

i think both our DEs are overrated, but i think smith less so than grant... i can't see us trading him though, but it is possible... it would take him and a pick (4th?) to move up to #5 or so, so i guess it would depend on who's there and how bad we want him

It's really not a matter of how good he is. Fact is, Will Smith is very good - but he is not elite. The bigger issue is that the Saints can't tie up $130 million (estimated Smith's new contract + Charles Grants contract) for a pair of DE's. It makes no sense. Smith's future was sealed with Grant's re-signing. Just imagine the cap impact just for 2 players.

The Giants have 2 huge contracts tied up in DEs and with the cap going up all the time it won't be a big deal. Plus if anything we should let Grant work off his deal for a couple of years and then get rid of him.

We are 30 million dollars under the cap right now, the last thing we need to do is worry about how much our best defensive player is making. And move up in the draft to get who exactly?ELLIS???? youve got to be kidding, you would basically be trading a young proven pro bowler for a NFL rookie DT??? it makes no sense, sometimes these draft picks dont pan out how they were supposed to....see Johnathon Suullivan for ex.

I know many of us don't want to hear it, but the best (and most realistic) way for us to move up is to use Will Smith as trade bait. When Charles Grant signed his mega deal this past year, I immediately cringed at thinking what dollar amout it would take to retain Smith. I'm not a draft-nik nor do I pretend to be one. Will is probably our best defensive talent, but for some reason, I keep seeing him in another jersey at some point in the near future.

I know a lot of posters out there are drawing up scenarios that would get us into top-5 position. Can Will Smith get us there? Not that I would like to see it happen, but just a thought.

I've braced myself, so flame away....

That's addition by subtraction, and wouldn't benefit the Saints whatsoever. There are other ways to move up in the draft a couple of slots w/o such a foolish move.

Besides, it is VERY likely the player the Saints are targeting will slide or be sitting there at #10.

Every year I read draft guys who provide a list of top 10 picks, and yet every draft we see the guy who was supposed to be taken in the top five slide down into the teens and twenties.

There is no reason not to expect the same thing to happen this year.

That is as poor an idea as your avatar's dental plan .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom