Best way to focus on a defensive draft (1 Viewer)

Louisibama

whodat?????we dat!!!!!
Reaction score
Sign ryan zeitler and Ronald Leary
Add cordarrelle Patterson
Restructure Kenny vacarro to a 3 or 4 yr contract
Restructure drew Brees to a 3 year deal
Last buT most important restructure jarius Byrd with performance based terms

How do you do this when Drew has already stated he doesn't want to sign a multi year contract again? He wants to take it year to year until he retires.

It's also the way he is going to maximize his pay for his last few years, so I don't see him changing his mind about it.

You mean Kevin Zietler? We wouldn't need to get both Guards you mentioned in FA. Zietler will be enough.
Don't think Patterson is our answer to special teams. I'd be looking at getting a corner back in FA
I would extend Vaccarro
Leave Drew's contract as is and do a year by year contract as previously stated.
Byrd's contract will be restructured or he will need to take a pay cut

We don't need to do anything with Drew's contract.

Do you have a link to that? I remember reading anything saying he does not want a long term contract. I know he said he would play with a yearly contract if he has to, but that was a different thing.

Do you have a link to that? I remember reading anything saying he does not want a long term contract. I know he said he would play with a yearly contract if he has to, but that was a different thing.

He said it in one of his press conferences I believe. I know I heard him say it.

We're not signing two guards

Restructuring Byrd will only make it harder to cut him in future years if needed and pay cutting will save maybe 2 million, but not more than that.

It sounds really good to me. I am really curious why you got 4 Red Thumbs.

Sign either Zeitler or Leary (this keeps us from having to draft a guard although there's a couple I like this year)

Add Patterson for the right price IF he can handle punt duties too. (So far he hasn't done that in his career.)

Restructuring Vaccaro is a good idea. (Need to lock him up for his prime)

Leave Brees' contract alone.

Restructure Byrd if we can. (If we can't, then drafting one of the top Safeties at pick #11 becomes a real possibility)

Re-sign Fairley if we can. (just can't get in a bidding war with anyone on him. He's ready to get paid, but there's still a chance that his price will be something we can afford. If not, Then we probably need to draft or sign multiple edge guys with at least one that can slide in if/when needed)

It sounds really good to me. I am really curious why you got 4 Red Thumbs.

Because some people don't like the ideia of signing two guards.
Others don't like the ideia of signing Patterson.
Others know that Bree's already said he doesn't want a new contract this off season.
And also others know that most of Byrd money this year is already guaranteed and there is no magical way of changing his contract to be performance based.

You are probably very right EJW. However, if we did sign two top guards, do you think that would be a bad move?

Poor allocation of resources. Need two CBs or two Edge Rushers more. Kelemente remains under contract. Lelito is a FAvand Jahri is a FA. You kept Landon Turner around and got him snaps through the year. He should take Lelitos place as a cheaper alternative. That leaves only needing 1G to take Jahri place/upgrade.

Poor allocation of resources. Need two CBs or two Edge Rushers more. Kelemente remains under contract. Lelito is a FAvand Jahri is a FA. You kept Landon Turner around and got him snaps through the year. He should take Lelitos place as a cheaper alternative. That leaves only needing 1G to take Jahri place/upgrade.

Completely agree here. CB/Edge is way more important to come away with 2 players this off season between Free Agency and the draft.

Heck, I'd even rather have 2 LB's (I know, it's not THAT important to our scheme - this year.....) from this off season than 2 OG's.

I'm also not particularly convinced that our return game needs FA $$$ thrown at it. Much rather spend a mid/late round pick on that type of players. Our offense doesn't need that much help from the return game, honestly, it's good enough to score from anywhere. Just make smart decisions on kick offs and punts and don't fumble. We don't need a home run threat back there, that's just a luxury.

Byrd and Vaccaro can be restructured, and the trading up to get Bell + his good play gives the team leverage. We will see how that plays out.

Drew doesn't want any more long term deals. What Drew wants, Drew gets, lol......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom