Best & Worst TV Series Finales (1 Viewer)

something else i thought of about series finales (and again, something The Leftovers was able to void)
almost all shows are renewed on a season by season basis, and sometimes you can start a season and not know if that's your last or not
so every show runner probably has to have some sort of exit strategy as they go along
the end of your story is rarely organic - some external factor puts the limit on your story and you have to figure out how to manufacture an end
so while the beginning and middle of the story has been very organic, the end is often very contrived

I remember the Cosby Show’s finale

Theo was graduating college, there were clips from the first season

I don’t remember if I liked it or not

The very end where cliff and Claire walk off the set into the live audience was a nice touch, that I liked

I know Farscape got the mini-series to wrap up the show but it's season 4 finale was excellent. Even though the show was cancelled they didn't change a thing about the episode except the previously on showed a clip from every episode instead of the recent ones. And then they kept the to be continued on the screen despite being cancelled. It was amazing.

The ending to The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret was awesome! Season 3 is technically not chronologically after season 2, I'd explain but it would ruin the surprise considering the end to season 2. The end of season 2 is phenomenal with season 3's ending weaving beautifully into the show.

Best: Three's Company and The Justice League animated series
Worst: The Sopranos and True Blood

You guys are gonna laugh, but I just finished binge watching Breaking Bad for the first time. And it is my second favorite series of all time. Having said that, I didn't like the direction they brought Walt in the show & wished they had killed Jesse off abouta dozen times. But the last episode was epic & saved the whole meaning of the last two seasons. I thought Walt explaining to his wife why he had to do what he did was the only acceptable explanation for his turn. And of course the way he shot the Nazi in mid sentence was classic. I mean who does that? And the song was perfect for the ending. Definitely my favorite ending to a series.

The worst for me was the Sopranos. Now that sucked & is typical of HBO to destroy the viewers expectations of a great ending to any series. Of course GOT is my favorite series of all time & I haven't watched it due to changing to Dish network a few months back. But I hear the ending is typically HBO terrible. again.

Best: Three's Company and The Justice League animated series
Worst: The Sopranos and True Blood
Man it wasn’t just the finale for True Blood - I think it might be in a tie with The Walking Dead for biggest suckage drop after an awesome start
Last 2-3 seasons were just painful

Oh, man, all the hate for the Sopranos finale.

Don't get me wrong, I HATED it for a few years. Upon reflection, I'm convinced it was absolutely the PERFECT ending for that show given everything that came before. Not the best finale of all time but the perfect ending for the Sopranos.

And, if you study the show closely, or read analysis of the finale, it is absolutely 100% clear what happened to Tony Soprano.

I can only go by what I have seen. I would put MASH at #1, but Mary Tyler Moore and Newhart are up there as well.

Worst--How I Met Your Mother.

I never watched Lost or Dexter, so I can't pass judgment on them. I didn't mind Seinfeld. The "trial" was just a device to bring back all of the characters that had been on the show. I think they wanted to say "thanks" to all of those actors/characters.

I never watched Lost or Dexter, so I can't pass judgment on them. I didn't mind Seinfeld. The "trial" was just a device to bring back all of the characters that had been on the show. I think they wanted to say "thanks" to all of those actors/characters.
That's true and it played like a clip show. Which was a problem because NBC played a "special episode" right before the finale that was a clip show. So watching the finale felt like watching a repeat of the show that aired right before it. And honestly I think a lot of people were expecting more from the finale than that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom