Better Coach Pete Carroll or Nick Saban (1 Viewer)

Better Coach

• Pete Carroll

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Nick Saban

Votes: 37 90.2%

• Total voters

12Stang

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Just wondering who thinks out of these guys who the better coach is. Nick has obviously had more success at the college level and Pete has had more success at the Pro Level. Pete also was not too shabby in college himself regardless of how he got his players cause all colleges do it they just don't get caught and im sure tricky Nicky is totally going by the book to get #1 recruiting classes every year. Any how i was just wondering what people thought since unfortunately these guys never got to battle each other in the pros or college

Dont get me wrong i think nick will go down as one of the best college coaches ever but he couldnt hack it in the pros and carroll can. He put a team in the playoffs with a rookie QB and won

And not taking anything away from bama but their schedules have been rather soft along the way, even their SEC opponents other than the ones in their own division have been weak for a number of years now

Carroll couldn't hack it his first time in the Pros. He took a Superbowl team and ran it into the ground the very next season.

I mean look at this , I can honestly see only Texas A&M giving them a fight next year. LSU will be down along with playing a brutal sec schedule once again

8/31/13 vs. Virginia Tech Atlanta, Ga.
09/14/13 at Texas A&M * College Station, Texas
09/28/13 vs. Ole Miss * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
10/05/13 vs. Georgia State Tuscaloosa, Ala.
10/12/13 at Kentucky * Lexington, Ky.
10/19/13 vs. Arkansas * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
10/26/13 vs. Tennessee * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
11/09/13 vs. LSU * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
11/16/13 at Mississippi State * Starkville, Miss.
11/23/13 vs. Chattanooga Tuscaloosa, Ala.
11/30/13 at Auburn *

I mean look at this , I can honestly see only Texas A&M giving them a fight next year. LSU will be down along with playing a brutal sec schedule once again

8/31/13 vs. Virginia Tech Atlanta, Ga.
09/14/13 at Texas A&M * College Station, Texas
09/28/13 vs. Ole Miss * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
10/05/13 vs. Georgia State Tuscaloosa, Ala.
10/12/13 at Kentucky * Lexington, Ky.
10/19/13 vs. Arkansas * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
10/26/13 vs. Tennessee * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
11/09/13 vs. LSU * Tuscaloosa, Ala.
11/16/13 at Mississippi State * Starkville, Miss.
11/23/13 vs. Chattanooga Tuscaloosa, Ala.
11/30/13 at Auburn *

I agree that's a weak schedule, but Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn will be vastly improved teams. and they will have to play in the SEC Championship game.

Everyone treats Saban's stint with Miami as a complete failure and while it wasn't good, he was only 15-17. The previous season they were 4-12 so both of his years were improvements over that. Miami was 5-6 by the time the Bama rumors began. I think by that point he was mentally checked out because he had already decided to take the Bama job.

Carroll was only 33-31 as an NFL HC before heading to Seattle. He coached 2 different teams (the Jets for 1 year and the Pats for 3) and both were worse than the year prior to Carroll and the Pats dropped an extra game each season. He's only 25-23 with Seattle.

So I guess you could give Carroll the edge, but it's only due to more (accepted) opportunity. And if you compare their college careers, it's no contest. Saban has 4 titles, 3 in 4 years, all in the toughest conference. Carroll won 1 title on the field and was awarded another unjustly. In a vastly inferior conference.

I agree that's a weak schedule, but Ole Miss, Arkansas and Auburn will be vastly improved teams. and they will have to play in the SEC Championship game.

Yeah, we don't win in Tuscaloosa. For whatever reasons, we always play significantly better in Baton Rouge than in Tuscaloosa

Saban in a walk.

Carroll had an OK career at New England (no losing seasons, had the impossible task of following Parcells, etc), but nothing special. He's a decent game coach. My problem with him is I've never really seen any evidence he can develop talent or even build a program.

USC is the easiest of the major coaching jobs -- despite Lane Kiffin's best efforts to prove me wrong. You're selling Southern California to 17-year-olds. Plus you've got tradition, money, and fantastic academics (SC doesn't get the press because it relaxes its academic standards for athletes, but the school as a whole is on par with Notre Dame academically). The biggest hole in the recruiting pitch at SC is its distance from Florida. On top of that, the rest of the conference is only now starting to get competitive again. Stanford, UCLA and Oregon are all light-years ahead of where they were when Carroll was at SC.

Saban, on the other hand, has built 3 separate programs into winners, and none of them have had the structural advantages that SC does. Sparty is a basketball school, the little brother of the Michigan schools, and will never be better than the 4th biggest draw for local recruits (UM, ND, OSU). LSU had just suffered and stumbled through the Curley Hillman atrocity, followed by the Gerry DiNardo regime. Its claim as a major power was doubtful. Alabama's woes are well-documented.

I know Carroll turned SC's record around, but it wasn't like the team had been dreadful before he got there. Carson Palmer was already in place, as were a large number of the other pieces Carroll needed to turn the team around. There's a reason it only took him one season to return SC to glory while Saban's rebuilding jobs took 3-5 years.

Saban is the best college recruiter and talent evaluator ever. Carroll is obviously a very good pure coach.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom