Better off w/o JB playin LT??? (1 Viewer)

Brown is overrated. Is he better than Bushrod? yes, but he is still overrated.

Don't you guys remember the dallas game a couple years ago when Brown was LITERALLY LAUNCHED off his feet into Brees?

That does not happen to all-pro LT's, EVER!. I don't care who it was or if they got under his pads. that just doesn't happen.

I think the difference between bushrod and brown is not nearly as large as people are making it out to be. We have had to have TE"s chip for Brown in the past as well. Plus lets not forget, Bushrod is still very experienced whereas I think its safe to say Brown is at his max.

I'll take a holding call any day of the week and twice on Sunday if it means Drew doesn't take a massive shot. It could just be me but it seems like Drew's been hit harder already than any time last season. Not good.

I would love to see what we could of done with J.B. in there the big reason we run the ball better is because the o line was the same as last year each year we added a piece , evans then goodwin then nicks they have had time to gel they will only get better the longer they are together .We are lucky to have pretty good depth but we need to keep the starters together.

The proliferation of people saying this frustrates me. First of all, people forget how good Bushrod looking in his FIRST ever start. Then he goes down and out of the game, Strief struggles in his place and people say "Bushrod had a bad game" which is incorrect. Did you even pay attention to who was in the game? Or did you just assume that Bushrod was the problem? You can argue about whether Strief is a problem or even question if Bushrod will be as good long term, but don't blame Strief's bad play on Bushrod, who wasn't on the field.

/rant off.

when Bushrod was in the game that is when Brees got sacked and yes Bushrod was struggling when he was in there. Bushrod went out with an ankle injury ,Strief came in and held his own. Bushrod came back into the game and was struggling and they took him out and put Strief back in the for the rest of the game and he held his own in pass blocking and was great at run blocking. Strief has been filling in fine for Brown since 2006. Bushrod has struggled every game, but it is expected because it is his first few starts, I think he will be great in the future but at this point i think Strief is better. He did fine against a 2 time pro bowler in Aaron Schobel. Everybody thinks Strief can't handle speed rushers but the times i remember him getting beat was by a bullrush or on a move being outsmarted by a vet. He is strong and has had more game experience so these things can be corrected. He is also faster and more athletic than anyone gives him credit for. Everyone just repeats over and over "he just looks like a right tackle" He has done fine at both tackle spots.

so the whole thing that Strief isnt "athletic" or can handle the bullrushers but not the speedrushers is incorrect, its like people repeating reggie cant run in between the tackles over and over and people start to believe it.

Last edited:
I really don't think this is a Jamar Nesbit/Carl Nicks scenario. The loss of Brown is a real concern because Strief and Bushrod just aren't as good. Bushrod has more potential (athleticism) than Strief. Strief is better against the "bull" rush, but doesn't have real quick feet and can be beaten by outside "speed" rushers. Bushrod does better against the quicker, lighter defensive ends, but I've seen him get handled (and pushed in the backfield) by the stronger defensive linemen.

Whether it costs the team a game or not, I really can't speculate. I still don't understand what the real story is on Brown, because he was supposed to be back in a few weeks. It's a mute point because he's now gone for the season (and perhaps his career?)

I really don't think this is a Jamar Nesbit/Carl Nicks scenario. The loss of Brown is a real concern because Strief and Bushrod just aren't as good. Bushrod has more potential (athleticism) than Strief. Strief is better against the "bull" rush, but doesn't have real quick feet and can be beaten by outside "speed" rushers. Bushrod does better against the quicker, lighter defensive ends, but I've seen him get handled (and pushed in the backfield) by the stronger defensive linemen.

Whether it costs the team a game or not, I really can't speculate. I still don't understand what the real story is on Brown, because he was supposed to be back in a few weeks. It's a mute point because he's now gone for the season (and perhaps his career?)
see the post above you, and who are all of these lighter defensive ends and stronger defensive ends that Bushrod has gone against in his 2.5 games? He got beat in every single one of those games. Trent Cole is a speed rusher but at 270, Aaron Schobel is a good combination of both and is only 243. Don't know much about the Lions. He can probably be better with time but Strief will do fine for right now. The Saints will probably keep Brown if they can resign him for cheap. Its really not a bad situation to have 3 guys that can play left tackle.

Last edited:
Did you watch last year when we could not run the ball and this year we can. The only difference is he is not in the game.

I didn't read the whole thread so it may have been said already but we have new Offensive Line Coach/Running Game Coordinator in Aaron Kromer. Obviously that means our blocking scheme has most likely changed, hence the new found success. Brees took a beating last week and we all know he is the key to our success. If Jammal comes back next season, if he's healthy and performing, he will start. Until then, we should all support Bushrod, Strief or whoever else they put in at LT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom