Better opposite Jordan, Thomas or Barnett? (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have my opinions about this, but I will like to hear yours.

Based on the type of player, and the scheme that Allen is trying to install, which end will be better to play opposite Jordan? Barnett or Solomon Thomas?

I think Takkarist McKinley is more similar to Junior Galette. Will he fit better the profile of what we are looking for?

Thomas is going to be good NFL player but I think he's best suited for the side Cam is on. Barnett may be the better option over the LT.

I don't know enough about Tak but he looks more like a 3-4 OLB.

Trey Hendrickson may be a guy to watch out for.

Based on the type of player, and the scheme that Allen is trying to install, which end will be better to play opposite Jordan? Barnett or Solomon Thomas?

I think Takkarist McKinley is more similar to Junior Galette. Will he fit better the profile of what we are looking for?

It is a good question. The idea of having 2 Cam Jordans' on the defensive line is very tempting. I think we could have a have talented and overall dominate line. However I think the Saints lack that terror of the edge that makes defenses game plan for them and of the two, that player is Barnett.

So overall I like Thomas more. I think if we drafted him, we would have a very nasty defensive line, particularly. I think we could get pressure on the QB and dominate 1-1 match-ups more times than we loose, but I also think we will often have a player or two that is 1 step away from a sack (more than we already do).

I think Barnett fits our needs better as a pass rusher. I think he can bring an element to our defense that we have been lacking for a very long time. I think the rest of the line is talented enough to thrive with a player like him on the other side of Jordan. I do not think he is the all around freak that Thomas is, but better as a pass rusher.

If we were going to add a legit pass rusher in FA or have another viable option for a pass rusher, I would lean Thomas. If we are looking to draft someone as a pass rusher, I would go with Barnett.

I don't think we can lose drafting any of those players mentioned in the first post. I'm sensing Barnett, much like a stock listing, will become like Rankins was heading into draft weekend last year -- the consensus, safe pick. The only thing that messed it up was what can mess up any pro ball player, and that is injuries. His was likely the most impactful of all the injuries on D last year. The other guys wouldn't be a bad selection, either, but will carry the scheme-related questions with them.

I have watched game footage on a few projected 1st round DE's, and I think Tim Williams is the best pass rusher. Thomas and Barnett both seem slow off the snap although both have high motors. Tim Williams has the better first step and has more pass rushing moves. He reminds me of a better/healthier Kikaha. I also like Charles Harris as a late 1st or early 2nd DE. His play reminds me of Galette (but not a ******).

IF we don't go DE, I like TreDavious White. I usually am not comfortable with CB's in the 1st as most college CB's game tape isn't really that impressive, but White's tape is really good. I think he will be something special.

As of now my choice is Foster, I think this is a kind of player that can give identity to our defense. A nasty one by the way.

I really like Solomon Thomas, he may not be the fastest but he may be the most complete of the ends, and since we have trouble keeping containment, I will gladly sacrifice some speed for someone who will make Cam to stay in the pocket, and not allow Freeman to run off-tackle.

I'm with Rev on this one. Solomon might be an all-world type, but that's not for certain. Unless something jumps out in the next few months that says he is... You take Barnett. The NFL stage isn't going to be too big for him and he's equally good vs run and pass. I think Barnett is the absolute closest thing to Cam in this class. I would give a kidney to have 2 Cams. Speed rusher we have in Kikaha. He's already on the team. Give me a solid 3 down DE to go with what we've already got on the Dline and I'm happy.

I'm with Rev on this one. Solomon might be an all-world type, but that's not for certain. Unless something jumps out in the next few months that says he is... You take Barnett. The NFL stage isn't going to be too big for him and he's equally good vs run and pass. I think Barnett is the absolute closest thing to Cam in this class. I would give a kidney to have 2 Cams. Speed rusher we have in Kikaha. He's already on the team. Give me a solid 3 down DE to go with what we've already got on the Dline and I'm happy.

Kikaha is NOT a speed rusher. At his best he'll be another technique/hands guy. Saints need some speed off the edge.

I like Sol Thomas better, but I would say, neither. I think a guy like Takk, who's a true pressure/speed rusher would be a way better fit. Sol Thomas and Barnett are players who are very similar to Cam's play style. We need a guy who's gonna be our designated pass rusher. Tim Williams, Dawuane Smoot, Haason Reddick, Devonte Fields; guys with true edge speed, first step burst & snap anticipation. We basically need a guy like Galette, who can beat a one on one match up, to even out and play to Cam's strength. It's clear that once Junior was out of the building, opposing O's could just double Cam with zero fear of the other guys opposite him. As good as Sol Thomas and Barnett are, we already have them in the form of Cam Jordan. We also already have Kruger in house, if we resign him, he offers up the same skills as Thomas and Barnett. I actually think Kruger would be the perfect back up for Cam, as opposed to being the starter. Kruger would also be a valuable package guy as well. I think we need a guy with explosive speed to bookend Cam. Takk, Tim Williams, Smoot, Fields, Reddick, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom