Better QB Eli or Big Ben? (1 Viewer)

Ben has had the luxury of a really good OLine, not to mention a rushing tandum that gets it done. The pressure, and the ball, wasn't always in Ben's hands. Sure, there's already enough pressure just being a QB, but when you aren't pressured that much and are handing the ball off more than throwing it, you can't help but be good (stat wise). Taking the stats out, Ben is still good, but I will give it to Eli.

Even though he created most of the pressure from day one, Eli has had this consistant attack from the media, the fans and of course opposing defenses. Combine that with the constant comparison of Archie and Peyton (something he hadn't lived up to until recently), he handled all these pressure very admirably.

I like Ben, but I will go with Eli and that's not a homer pick. I'd say his QB smarts are better than Ben's too.

No way Ben would have been limited at home to no plays on Saints side of the field in 06.

i say eli... this is a "what have you done for me lately" league, ben stunk last year and he was good this year, but he never really WON them a game, he looked like crap when he needed to step up in that patriots game also

This is not even a fair comparison. Ben is a much better QB than Eli. Eli didn't even play that well in the Superbowl.

The part where you lost your mind and said Eli didn't play well in the Superbowl. I mean he's no Rex Grossman I admit, but still :shrug:

HAHHAH exactly, what is that guy smoking? i could use some.

Eli played amazing the entire playoffs, and i think he will be a better qb then Big Ben by the end of both of their careers....

Just because you throw the ball 15 times per game doesnt' mean your "managing" it.

Look, for instance, at this game:
Passing CP/AT YDS TD INT
B. Roethlisberger 13/16 209 5 0

Is that the game where the Steelers started 3 TD drives deep in opponent territory?

No. "As of today" is Eli's playoff run and Superbowl victory, a stretch of play superior to what Roethlisberger put together when the Steelers went to the Superbowl (and has failed to repeat since then). "As of today" Eli appears to be the better QB then Roethlisberger. "From a career standpoint" Ben is better, sure, but "As of today" it's Eli.

Spammy, normally I respect your opinions and find you pretty knowledgable about the game. In this one, I think you're way off base. Maybe you haven't seen the Steelers play much, I don't know.

Ben's stats during 2005-6 playoff run/SuperBowl title:
58-93 (62.4%), 803 yards, 7 TD, 3 INTs, 2 Rushing TDs, and a rating of 101.7.

Eli's stats during 2007-8 playoff run/SuperBowl title:
72-119 (60.5%), 854 yards, 6 TD, 1 Int, and a rating of 95.7

As far as "failed to repeat", consider the fact that Ben has made the Pro Bowl this year, thowing for 32 TDs and 11 Ints with a rating of 104.1. They didn't progress far in the playoffs this year due to injury-ridden O-line, defense, and missing their star running back.

Sorry, both yesterday and today Ben is better. There is no evidence, statistical or otherwise, that can lay claim otherwise. Guess we'll have to see about tomorrow.

Last edited:
Spammy, normally I respect your opinions and find you pretty knowledgable about the game. In this one, I think you're way off base. Maybe you haven't seen the Steelers play much, I don't know.

Ben's stats during 2005-6 playoff run/SuperBowl title:
58-93 (62.4%), 803 yards, 7 TD, 3 INTs, 2 Rushing TDs, and a rating of 101.7.

Eli's stats during 2007-8 playoff run/SuperBowl title:
72-119 (60.5%), 854 yards, 6 TD, 1 Int, and a rating of 95.7

As far as "failed to repeat", consider the fact that Ben has made the Pro Bowl this year, thowing for 32 TDs and 11 Ints with a rating of 104.1. They didn't progress far in the playoffs this year due to injury-ridden O-line, defense, and missing their star running back.

Sorry, both yesterday and today Ben is better. There is no evidence, statistical or otherwise, that can lay claim otherwise. Guess we'll have to see about tomorrow.

Oh "stats"

Big ben has a better TD:int Ratio careerwise than brett farve does, so is big ben better than brett farve??

Oh "stats"

Big ben has a better TD:int Ratio careerwise than brett farve does, so is big ben better than brett farve??

I know, it's very inconvenient to look at factual information that doesn't support your point.

As far as Ben and Brett go, in 2005 Ben was definitely better. 2004 was about a wash. 2006, Brett was clearly better. This year, Ben might have edged Brett out a bit statistically, but I'll call it a wash as well. If Ben puts up similar numbers to 2007 for the next 12 or 13 years like Brett, we might be able to compare. But for now, one would say that over the last 3-4 years, they were about even. Ben's got a long way to go before one can make a viable comparison between the two.

Ben and Eli were picked in the same draft. It's a much easier comparison. Let's face it, Eli's had 5 or 6 very good games. Ben's had a much better career and over that time has been a more consistent QB....as long as he stays the heck off the motorcyle. :covri:

Pointless question on a Saints board. He is a Manning, so Saints fans will always love him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom