• Bi-weekly = Twice a week

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My whole life when I hear bi-weekly I always think that means once every two weeks, and I'll use it in conversation exactly that way (I get paid bi-weekly)

Recently 3 separate people on 3 separate occasions have told me that's wrong.

They all said that if I really mean once every 2 weeks that it's bi-monthly and bi-weekly means twice a week

What do you think?

I think the golden rule applies here. While I tend to agree with those who said you are wrong, my employer says I get paid bi weekly but I notice the direct deposits go in every two weeks. They hold the gold so I just go with whatever they call it.

man if you are right, that is going to make my decision not to tell my boss he is a dumb arse look smart.

The bicentennial in 1976 was 200 years, not 50 years.

Semi-annually is 6 months. Bi-annually is every 2 years.

That's it. Crazy people and increased population are not the problems with the world. It is words that have two meanings that are completely the opposite of each other.

**** this, We riot!

The bicentennial in 1976 was 200 years, not 50 years.

Semi-annually is 6 months. Bi-annually is every 2 years.
This, but somehow with biweekly and biannually there's long been some corruption where everyone thinks semi- doesn't exist as a prefix.

Actually, I think historically semiannual and semiweekly is a late introduction to avoid the original confusion. The real kicker is how hard is it to say we meet every two weeks instead of we meet biweekly or bimonthly? At least for the two weeks one if you want to be cool you can say "we meet once a fortnight". I'm pretty sure if it's not 1776 and you're not talking about sex or chemistry there's not much reason to use a bi- prefix.

My whole life when I hear bi-weekly I always think that means once every two weeks, and I'll use it in conversation exactly that way (I get paid bi-weekly)

Recently 3 separate people on 3 separate occasions have told me that's wrong.

They all said that if I really mean once every 2 weeks that it's bi-monthly and bi-weekly means twice a week

What do you think?

You are right, and feel free to call these people morons, even if one of them is your mother.

I bet they think "out of pocket" means "unavailable," too, don't they?

Regarding this position, all 3 are absolutely wrong.

Especially in the context of payroll, bi-monthly is twice a month not every two weeks. This is different than bi-weekly which is once every two weeks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom