Big DB's (1 Viewer)

I could be wrong, but isn't Sean Smith (Dolphins) about to be a free agent? I think he's a really underrated guy and is in the Brandon Browner/Richard Sherman mold. Would probably come relatively cheaply, as well.

That said, I think the idea that you "need" bigger CBs is a myth.

There is a reason CBs are typically shorter than 6'0. The taller you are, the less hip flexibility you have. Longer legs, wider hips... those aren't great when you're playing CB, particularly in man-man where you have to react to the receivers breaks.

Being 6'5 and being a WR is great because you know your route... your path is predetermined. As a CB, you have to react to that route. The taller a CB, typically, the slower he will be in reacting.

If you are a 6'2 - 6'4 CB, your game is going to be physical, press coverage. In the NFL, that leads to a lot of penalties. That's why these tall guys often get moved to safety.

That said, you are again seeing a trend toward bigger CBs. If you have a good, physical, exceptionally agile "big CB" then it opens up a lot of of things for your defense.

I know a lot of people may not want to hear this, but we have a big, physical CB on our roster and his name is Malcolm Jenkins. "He's not fast enough." Has an identical 40 time to Richard Sherman. "He's not quick enough, too stiff." Ran the fastest 3-cone in his draft class... as good as any CB. He can play the position.

Got a feeling we are going DB or OT at 15 and not rush OLB

Sent via Tapatalk

Ok, Darrelle Revis is 5',11" and Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick. You don't have to be tall or go in the first round to be a monster DB. The front office just needs to pick the right guy whenever the chance is there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom