Big Decision Comming. Can't Decide (1 Viewer)

Wow, it's a good thing many of you aren't the majority or we'd have no city at all. New Orleans needs people who have the education, brains and drive to make a difference. If you do, come back. If you don't, stay away.

This is a city that will not get better by itself. We don't need people always waiting for someone else to make it better. We need people that will step up and do what they can to make it better or at least their little part of New Orleans better.

Remember the JFK quote. Ask not what New Orleans can do for you, but what you can do for New Orleans.

If I sound a little harsh, it comes from two years of rebuilding and restablishing my life after the flood. I have a two-week old son, a beautiful wife, a mostly rebuilt home, slightly altered business plan since the storm and no expectations that life is supposed to be easy.

In 2.5 years kids should be an issue. I have no idea how we would raise kids in DC. My parents hit 65 and 68. We both are the oldest child so parental care falls to us. We both work min 50 hours with 60-80hr weeks not uncommon. 1.5-2.5 years is also when I would take the next step in my career progression. She could work anywhere but with a large pay cut in NOLA. I have some flexibility but I would most likely have to start from scratch or in a new field. In DC I walk one block to work; she drives 5 mins. We own one car. NOLA would be two cars and traffic.

I stinks but it would be easier to move my parents to DC than for us to move back to NOLA.

Feel your pain......I currently work for a large generic pharma company that has some facilities in the greater New Orleans area. The opportunity may present itself to move to this facility in the next year or so. I've been checking out the housing "market" in the area and not being from there I can only imagine some of the inner workings since the hurricane. Do you guys have any suggestions in evaluating the move, housing, etc.? The company is solid and the worry of it closing isn't a major concern.

Cheers.

PS - Bulldawg, it is now 10 degrees in Morgantown.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom