Big Green Egg decision (1 Viewer)

That’s the thought keep the medium and add a second. I think the large would be big enough but I saw pics today where you have to cut your rib racks in half to cook on large.
I have smoked many a rack of St Louis ribs on my L and have never had to cut them. I don’t know why anyone would suggest that unless they have no clue what they’re talking about. In fact I made my own tiered contraption where I can smoke 4 racks laying flat. I just wanted to comment on this inaccuracy.

That’s the thought keep the medium and add a second. I think the large would be big enough but I saw pics today where you have to cut your rib racks in half to cook on large.

For ribs you can’t beat a cabinet ... next choice would be an offset ... even cheapie ones can work although they require more fiddling with the fire ... Komodos are akward for ribs

Last edited:
Thinking about this with my medium and a new XL

I would stongly advise you to avoid anything constructed out of wood unless it's extremely well built and made of cumaru or some other indestructible material. The first Primo was a gift and the girls bought it with the cypress table and it fell apart and collapsed in 2 years. I mean it literally came apart and settled into a pile when I tried to roll it out for cleaning and had I not been lucky, strong and somewhat mechanically inclined it would have been a $1500 pile of broken pottery.

Had it been in use when that happened it could have burned the house down.

Ever since I've built them out of masonry or aluminum. Heavy stainless commercial kitchen prep tables with wheels are great too and you can wrap them with metal or wood or whatever and even have a face frame and doors built if you want, but don't waste your money on the $400 carts they sell at the bGE stores.

I would stongly advise you to avoid anything constructed out of wood unless it's extremely well built and made of cumaru or some other indestructible material. The first Primo was a gift and the girls bought it with the cypress table and it fell apart and collapsed in 2 years. I mean it literally came apart and settled into a pile when I tried to roll it out for cleaning and had I not been lucky, strong and somewhat mechanically inclined it would have been a $1500 pile of broken pottery.

Ever since I've built them out of masonry or aluminum. Heavy stainless commercial kitchen prep tables with wheels are great too and you can wrap them with metal or wood or whatever and even have a face frame and doors built if you want, but don't waste your money on the $400 carts they sell at the bGE stores.

You have any plans or drawings that I can use to to build one?

Great advice. I would have looked at the wood too. I'll probably go with masonry if I do something like that myself.

You have any plans or drawings that I can use to to build one?

No, but if you sent me pictures and dimensions I could pretty easily get it done.

Aren't you in CT now? Is there someone who builds boat towers and T-tops nearby? If so, that's your man. Or, if you're doing it on a slab or paver base, you can buy something like this and cut the height down to whatever you like and then roll it in and out of your cabinets/kitchen stuff.

No, but if you sent me pictures and dimensions I could pretty easily get it done.

Aren't you in CT now? Is there someone who builds boat towers and T-tops nearby? If so, that's your man. Or, if you're doing it on a slab or paver base, you can buy something like this and cut the height down to whatever you like and then roll it in and out of your cabinets/kitchen stuff.

So more like the one on this thread?

Actually this is awesome because you can make it bigger or smaller as needed by adding or taking away pieces.

I have smoked many a rack of St Louis ribs on my L and have never had to cut them. I don’t know why anyone would suggest that unless they have no clue what they’re talking about. In fact I made my own tiered contraption where I can smoke 4 racks laying flat. I just wanted to comment on this inaccuracy.

I've done full baby back ribs on the L, but I'd prefer to cu them in half and big ones are too close to the edge. The rack contracptions are cool though.

Actually this is awesome because you can make it bigger or smaller as needed by adding or taking away pieces.

My friend that sells BGE here in town will not sell those items if you're on the water. The steel will rust in no time
So more like the one on this thread?

Yeah, only I use aluminum because it's lighter and it won't rust and, of course, I know a guy who builds aluminum stuff so it's easy for me.

The one on that thread is sweet. I bet you can get someone on etsy to build one of those for you if there's nobody local.

The wheels with locks are a must. If you live anywhere near salt water, get stainless and aluminum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom