Big Plays Taking Over ON Offense (Len P) (1 Viewer)

mvtrucking

Administrator
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Talking about the long ball being so effective this year. Henderson & Brees speak.

"Looking at what's going on around the league, watching the highlights on 'SportsCenter,' yeah, there seems to be more of a big-play mind-set," said New Orleans wide receiver Devery Henderson, who has three touchdown catches of 45 yards or more this season and has averaged 49.8 yards on his four scores. "I think offenses are attacking more, going vertical when they can, and you're seeing more big plays."

Article: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2678524

*What are you talking about? We can't go deep. Drew Brees is 6ft. tall, with an arm matched by an eleven year old girl. Plus he just had surgery. There is no way he can throw the ball.

*Information gathered via Miami Dolphins front office.

I get the feeling that Brees could probably connect with Devery on a 45+ yarder at least twice each of these remaining 5 games. They seem to be getting more comfortable with each other, Horn has taken Henderson and the other young guys under his wing and is working to mentor them, and Devery seems to be responding, which is good. IF this guy continues to mature on and off the field, he can be a really good NFL receiver.
Which of the following secondaries can Brees and the WRs not pick apart?

SF
DAL
WAS
NYG
CAR

:hihi:

I read this a little while ago and was pleased to see our guys featured prominently.

I think the great thing about our offense that this article made me think about is our offensive philosophy. He mentions in the article that teams such as the Saints are getting away from the West Coast Offenses that were so prevalent a few years ago and drifting toward a more vertical attack. While this may or may not be true for other teams around the league, I don't necessarily think that is our approach. It seems like we have kept most of the positive aspects of the WCO (lots of short passes, quick drops, dump offs) but at the same time we have a coaching staff that knows how to use this conservative approach to set up the shot downfield and knows exactly when to take that shot.

Someone on here posted some statistics concerning Brees and the long ball earlier today and although we haven't thrown an obsene amount of long passes, when we do put the ball up long, I just get the feeling that its going to be complete more often than not. Every time we go up top now I get the feeling it is more of a result of something that either the coaching staff or Brees has seen and is about to take advantage of. As the gang at Woodrow's here in Houston may have noticed, I've developed the habit of standing up the moment the ball leaves Brees's hand on pretty much anything he throws over 25 yards in anticipation of a big completion.

There's a difference between just having a vertical passing attack (Raiders), and knowing when to test the defense (us) and I am enjoying watching us do the latter.

I read this a little while ago and was pleased to see our guys featured prominently.

I think the great thing about our offense that this article made me think about is our offensive philosophy. He mentions in the article that teams such as the Saints are getting away from the West Coast Offenses that were so prevalent a few years ago and drifting toward a more vertical attack. While this may or may not be true for other teams around the league, I don't necessarily think that is our approach. It seems like we have kept most of the positive aspects of the WCO (lots of short passes, quick drops, dump offs) but at the same time we have a coaching staff that knows how to use this conservative approach to set up the shot downfield and knows exactly when to take that shot.

Someone on here posted some statistics concerning Brees and the long ball earlier today and although we haven't thrown an obsene amount of long passes, when we do put the ball up long, I just get the feeling that its going to be complete more often than not. Every time we go up top now I get the feeling it is more of a result of something that either the coaching staff or Brees has seen and is about to take advantage of. As the gang at Woodrow's here in Houston may have noticed, I've developed the habit of standing up the moment the ball leaves Brees's hand on pretty much anything he throws over 25 yards in anticipation of a big completion.

There's a difference between just having a vertical passing attack (Raiders), and knowing when to test the defense (us) and I am enjoying watching us do the latter.

Excellent points and post Jlam. I have the same feeling when Brees throws deep. (I even had a bit of it on the Hail Mary Sunday. I thought, hey they might just pull this off)

Every time I see Brees set to pass a ball 20 yards or deeper my brain automatically tells me it will be complete before he even releases the ball. He's been so accurate this year. I know he actually has 11 interceptions but I just trust him when he drops back to pass.

Brees is so accurate because he actually sets himself to throw and uses his entire body--he rarely ever just throws off his back foot. He senses pressure, steps up in the pocket (or rolls out by design), sets himself, and then throws long. Pasquerelli mentioned some of the factors in the trend of big plays, but one he left out is the new rule that prevents corners from bumping after 5 yards. This has really opened up the vertical passing game for offenses.

Our secret has been a quarterback who is smart enough to recognize when the long play is available and if not, to hit a short route. We have the best of all worlds, a West Coast offense with big play possibilities.

Teams are going more vertical in the passing game. That's why the Broncos are going with big gun Cutler than Jake the Snake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom