Big reason why the San Fran game is important... (1 Viewer)

bdorsey23

Handle Dat
Reaction score
This Sunday is a huge game because we need to see if the Saints defense can stop the run. No one can shut down Vick but we did shut down Dunn last week. I think if the Saints defense proves they can shut down basically the second best running back in the leauge (behind LT) then we can get deep into the playoffs. If we do not then we are going to have some problems because if you can't shut down the run, no matter how good your offense is, you can't win football games. With the addition of Hollis Thomas no one can run up the middle on us but we always get beat to the outside. Lets see if the D-fense can learn from their mistakes and shut down the outside the weekend! Also would like to see Reggie get some more carries this weekend because I think he is coming along finally and is ready to have the break out game!

Saint3232

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
This Sunday is a huge game because we need to see if the Saints defense can stop the run. No one can shut down Vick but we did shut down Dunn last week. I think if the Saints defense proves they can shut down basically the second best running back in the leauge (behind LT) then we can get deep into the playoffs.
you don't mean gore do you? He is good but, Alexander, L Johnson to name two are better backs than Gore. barber is the best back we face until the playoffs start. Gore is good, but not that good.

Paul

Professional
Reaction score
A win Sunday is important because:

a) It will bring our overall record to 8-4
b) It will bring our conference record to 7-1
c) It will set up a huge "showdown" between two 8-4 teams the following Sunday night, should both Dallas and New Orleans win.

Good Evening.

dapperdan

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Gore is a very good back for the 49ers system. But I think the focus of your concern is misplaced. The success that the 49ers enjoy in the running game starts with their offensive line. With Jennings and Allen on the left side, they present a very big, physical offensive line. and the offensive lineman who has improved the most is RT Harris. He's always been a good run blocker, but he's getting less antsy in the passing game, not committing as many penalties. This offensive line is the key to the 49ers offense.

And Gore is a very good back for this offensive system; he runs hard and has a nice burst through the hole.

btw, another guy to keep an eye on is Vernon Davis. Last week he got the vast majority of snaps at TE.

st.randy

otis
Reaction score
It's important because it's the NEXT GAME.
I think the same thing everytime I see a thread trumpeting the weeks matchup as THE game. It is THE game....they all are. But oddly enough they aren't. You need ten, preferrably eleven. Winning this one make those numbers easier.

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm concerned that we control Gore, not stop him.

He's averaging over 5 yds per carry, and you've got to figure that the Niners will run him at least 20 times against us with our run defense. That equates to a 100 yd rushing day for him... Not a big deal because SF has already lost twice when Gore ran for more than 100 yds this year.

The key is, once again, for our O to play turnover free like we did against the Falcons. The Niners aren't equipped to stop our O. Our O can help our D with sustained drives.

This game is important to me because I believe we still have a legitimate shot at holding on to the 2nd seed in the NFC and getting the first round bye and home field in January.

The Cowboys game on the 10th could literally decide that second seed.

We can't go into that Cowboys' game losing to the Niners the week before. It's paramount that we go into the Cowboys game with momentum, and that momentum began with our win over Hotlanta last week, and has to continue with a win over SF Sunday...

dninc

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the same thing everytime I see a thread trumpeting the weeks matchup as THE game. It is THE game....they all are. But oddly enough they aren't. You need ten, preferrably eleven. Winning this one make those numbers easier.
Best post about all these "THIS IS THE GAME" threads ive seen all season long.. I wish people cut it out trying to beat others to "THIS IS THE GAME" Threads, it's getting tiring, go scroll back in the search and find all the "THIS IS IT", "THIS IS THE GAME", "THE BIG ONE" Threads and you'll find it for every single week.

This team needs to win EVERY GAME, and they are Fully capable of it, They realize theier faith rest in they're hands now, Payton has coached these guys into a Group that can win games At Will if they don't screw themselves over.

Again lets chill with the "This is the game" Threads

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
this will be a great game if we can capitalize however I think the 2 more important games this season is going to be vs Dallas and the Giants.

specificly Dallas, since they have gotten hot lately.

anyone notice we have a "this is the most important game of the season" every week now?

xtremc5

Reaction score
A win Sunday is important because:

a) It will bring our overall record to 8-4
b) It will bring our conference record to 7-1
c) It will set up a huge "showdown" between two 8-4 teams the following Sunday night, should both Dallas and New Orleans win.

Good Evening.
Hopefully Dallas will lose to the Giants.

CJL

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
im not taking thsi game lighetly like i would have 4weeks ago niners got some talent and would not superise me if it came down to the last sec with a winning fg for us:ezbill:

Saint Greyhound

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe all the talk about "this is the game" comes from the coaches and the players saying one game at a time. The most important game is the next one. Even Payton eludes to we have won 7 games and our next goal is 8.

Domeination

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The SF game is a key game because we've lost two in a row at home and need to re-establish our dominance in the Dome, and because we have what appear to be tougher tests coming up against Dallas on the road and the Giants and Panthers, so it would put us in a precarious position if we dropped the game to SF. I think Payton will have the team focused and they'll come out strong like they did against Atlanta. If we can continue to be disciplined and balanced on offense and don't turn the ball over, we will take this game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette Saints injury report: TE Cook says Michael Thomas will miss Monday’s game SR News Page Articles 0
No fans in Superdome for Week 3 vs. Packers, but Saints 'hopeful' to have fans for Chargers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
CSC Podcast: Saints @ Raiders Game Preview Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kicking game quality is ace in the hole for Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Michael Thomas injury: Here's what Saints did on 13 snaps without star WR in Buccaneers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bill N/S ***Burrow's Bengals vs Mayfield's Browns Game Thread*** Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 307
Billgluckman That little trick play at the end of the game.. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 46
gummbo70114 Rewatch Tampa versus Saints game on NFL network at 7 PM central time Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Gentilly504 Over or Under(ratings)for Saints Monday Night Game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Will we see an increased emphasis on the run game? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saints keeping it (under) 100... Everything you need to know about the defense's 44-game streak Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Dan in Lafayette Game analysis with T-Bob Hebert & Nick Underhill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
kansast Game with New Orleans Radio broadcast Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Watching/Reading the recaps from the first game, I'm not sure the Saints were even there. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
3 Takeaways from the New Orleans Saints vs Tampa Bay Bucs game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 15: More takeaways from Saints week 1 game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints-Bucs draws high ratings for opening week game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus The Eerie Silence of an N.F.L. Stadium Makes the Game Even More for TV SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara SNF ratings for huge Cowboys/Rams game has to ring the alarm bells for the NFL Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 252
Michael Thomas suffers high-ankle injury at the end of Saints vs Bucs game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Nightshade Retired Saints FB Zach Line still dressing out for game days -- from his couch Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 20
superchuck500 Morstead turns in another brilliant game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Andrus Saints defense & special teams keep offense in the game to beat Bucs 34–23 SR News Page Articles 0
CowtownSaint This is Still a Game of Emotion Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Saint Kamara The pre-2017 Drew Brees has a 3 interception game on days like today Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Big opening win still isn’t what a Saints game in the Dome is supposed to be Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Super44 Trey Hendrickson; outstanding game. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 37
Andrus Saints stand for National Anthem during first home game SR News Page Articles 0
Good thing we play our next game on a Monday Night Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Payton: “That was as bad of a game as I’ve had as a playcaller.” Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 102
Saint Kamara And that's what the first preseason game looks like Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Saints 17 Buccaneers 7: 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
N/S 4th and inches, game on the line... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Saints vs Buccaneers game inactives Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Krodwhodat What game are you looking forward to today other than the Saints? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Bill Analysis ***Official Buccaneers @ Saints Game Day Thread*** Gameday Board 2165
Dan in Lafayette Tailgate Official Saints vs. Bucs Pre-Game Thread Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 128
Need help watching game! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 31
woohoosaint Predict the outcome of the Saints vs Bucs game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
woohoosaint Anybody else getting the night before the opening game jitters?! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
Andrus Saints Promote 2 From Practice Squad for Buccaneers Game SR News Page Articles 0
Saints add Bennie Fowler and Margus Hunt to game day roster Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Buccaneers elevate two for Sunday’s game at New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Payton seamed to be caught off guard by no fans for game 3 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Walker: Leonard Fournette gets long-awaited game in Superdome Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints not cleared to host fans for Sept. 27 game vs. Packers SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs. Buccaneers: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bruce Arians: Mike Evans probably will be a game-time decision Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cantrell no fans for entire September including GB game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 141
UFCSaint Results for those who would/would not watch the Texans/Chiefs game Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18