Big reason why the San Fran game is important... (1 Viewer)

The SF game is a key game because we've lost two in a row at home and need to re-establish our dominance in the Dome, and because we have what appear to be tougher tests coming up against Dallas on the road and the Giants and Panthers, so it would put us in a precarious position if we dropped the game to SF. I think Payton will have the team focused and they'll come out strong like they did against Atlanta. If we can continue to be disciplined and balanced on offense and don't turn the ball over, we will take this game.

EVERY game is the most important game. You don't get to the playoffs by only seeing a few games as THE GAME. Gotta win em all no matter what the record.

I agree. Frank Gore is a real good back. He has been putting up numbers all year, even against teams like the bears. We need to be able to hold him to under 4 yards a carry, if we can't then this will be a prelude to what will happen to us in the playoffs.

I heard Gore was banged up last week. Didn't he have X-Rays on the ankle lst week? Any word if he is even going to play.

I'm concerned that we control Gore, not stop him.

He's averaging over 5 yds per carry, and you've got to figure that the Niners will run him at least 20 times against us with our run defense. That equates to a 100 yd rushing day for him... Not a big deal because SF has already lost twice when Gore ran for more than 100 yds this year.

The key is, once again, for our O to play turnover free like we did against the Falcons. The Niners aren't equipped to stop our O. Our O can help our D with sustained drives.

This game is important to me because I believe we still have a legitimate shot at holding on to the 2nd seed in the NFC and getting the first round bye and home field in January.

The Cowboys game on the 10th could literally decide that second seed.

We can't go into that Cowboys' game losing to the Niners the week before. It's paramount that we go into the Cowboys game with momentum, and that momentum began with our win over Hotlanta last week, and has to continue with a win over SF Sunday...

we have to put together a string of victories to prove that we are a legit playoff contender. We can't go on winning one, losing one or two, and so on. It's getting down to crunch time, and we have to be doing the crunching. Besides that, time is getting short, and we need the momentum if we are going anywhere, should we get in the post-season.

you don't mean gore do you? He is good but, Alexander, L Johnson to name two are better backs than Gore. barber is the best back we face until the playoffs start. Gore is good, but not that good.

gore is up there with all of those guys. he is averaging 5.6 yards per carry and doesnt have a passing game to back him up. he is also a receiving threat. in my mind he is a top 5 back in this league as of now.

Best post about all these "THIS IS THE GAME" threads ive seen all season long.. I wish people cut it out trying to beat others to "THIS IS THE GAME" Threads, it's getting tiring, go scroll back in the search and find all the "THIS IS IT", "THIS IS THE GAME", "THE BIG ONE" Threads and you'll find it for every single week.

This team needs to win EVERY GAME, and they are Fully capable of it, They realize theier faith rest in they're hands now, Payton has coached these guys into a Group that can win games At Will if they don't screw themselves over.

Again lets chill with the "This is the game" Threads

I agree, from the first game to last game, you can think of a reason why THAT game is important to win.

Why this game is important?
Another win
Conference game
Show we can beat teams with poor win- loss record
so, on and on

Why was last weeks game important?
Its the Falcons stupid
Division rivals & conference game
tie for 1st in the division
Another win
Reverse trend (2 games losing streak)

Why was Cleveland important?
Its the first game of the season
We need to start strong against preseason non- playoff contending team.
A win

so, on and on

I believe all the talk about "this is the game" comes from the coaches and the players saying one game at a time. The most important game is the next one. Even Payton eludes to we have won 7 games and our next goal is 8.

I think fans get caught up in a panic for every game because that is the way ESPN and the NFL network sells it. Those guys aren't sports reporters, and they aren't game analysts....they are marketing agents and they are doing a good job of selling a product. One that IMHO doesn't really need so much salesmanship. The opnions of these marketing agents change from week to week, and fans get nervous if these agents aren't high on thier team. Hell the analysts get panicky on a weekly basis, and we get to watch it! How many of these threads are written people people who seem to need the team to do certain things to get good publicity. It's the modern age of sports marrketing folks.....and unfortunately it is working.

Can't tell you how many times I laughed watching analysts tout the NYG / Tenn game as a huge matchup last week. They are just selling a product.

I definately wantt to see the Saints win...I think they will. i want to see the saints stop the run. More importantly, I want the saints to continue what they are doing....if they do give up a big play on the ground.....make sure it leads to NO points. Big plays mean nothing if they have no effect on the scoreboard. The saints d has a rare brand of composure, so to me the run stats matter very little except for how many points do an opponent get out of the running game.

Last edited:
Many platitudes and absolutes expressed by the OP.

1st -to say if you can't stop the run you can't win games is questionable. Being able to get off the field when it really counts to get another opportunity for your offense is great even if the opponent has racked up yards. You can still when and we have seen examples of that this year. Many have stopped our running game but we have 7 wins. So that isn't necessarily true. I see your point though. But for us it's likely that we may end up giving up big gains. Just like when Vick got 50 yards we forced them into a FG. Getting off the field at key moments is the ticket.

2nd- these little 6 and 8 yard dink and dunks may not be things of beauty but they are the bread and butter to moving the chains. Move the chains, eat clock and take your shots when they appear. That wins.

Someone said the biggest reason this game is huge was because it is the "Next Game".

On the nose .... ladies and gentlemen we have a winner.

2nd- these little 6 and 8 yard dink and dunks may not be things of beauty but they are the bread and butter to moving the chains. Move the chains, eat clock and take your shots when they appear. That wins.
QUOTE]

These little 6 - 8 yard passes are like a running game- if you are happy with a six yard run why not a six yard pass? An incomplete would be the same as being stuffed at the line.

QUOTE]

These little 6 - 8 yard passes are like a running game- if you are happy with a six yard run why not a six yard pass? An incomplete would be the same as being stuffed at the line.

Not sure what you are getting at here. I love the little 6 and 8 yard passes. They move the chains. Just mentioned that they move the chains most often. they supply the wins. They are the "bread and butter". Why would I not like them?

this is a big game cuz it it get us 1 game closer to that majic number 9 or 10. Plus going into Dallas on a 2 game roll will be huge....it will let us let it all hang out. Boy I can't wait till we beat Dallas...they think they are entitled even more than the Steelers. But 1st things first...beat SF.

I'll save you the suspense -- the Saints can't stop the run. They haven't been able to stop it pretty much all season. They'll hang thirty on the 49ers for the win, though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom