Big ticket free agents? (1 Viewer)

DEUCERICKBOY02

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
What is your prediction? What big ticket free agents come to big easy? Most on board will say saints should spread the wealth but this is a big year for both Payton and Brees. Saints will spend. I say bouye, zeitler and collins

I rather for the team to be smart with their money and not try to go all out on one player. He has yet worked out for us. I still have to deal with some of our key guys now, like Vaccaro, Fairly and Cooks. Look at all the injuries we had. I much prefer signing good players that were back ups or depth from their perspective teams. Looking at our injuries this season, you can't undervalue good quality depth. We signed Craig Roberson, Sterling Moore and Nate Stupar last year. Not big name players but turn out to be very good signing. Made great contribution during the season.

It's buyer beware. Teams overpay in free agency. But occasionally the need of the team and the quality of the player justify the big contract. Atlanta has a first-week bye in the playoffs because of its signing Mack in the offseason.

We need badly to sign a guard.

We need badly to sign a guard.

Not completely sure of that. It's likely, but not certain. The replacement for Jahri could conceivably be on the roster already.

We haven't seen Avery Young yet - recall that he was hurt. I recall coach being excited recently that he'll finally get to see him and get him into football shape.

Turner is still in the mix also.

Top priority should be a CB. Trumaine Johnson or AJ Bouye.

Top priority should be a CB. Trumaine Johnson or AJ Bouye.

I think CB's tend to price out fast. We'll see.

We can't be cheap on every FA, but you make one or two decent splashes, and then a few value picks, or backups that have flashed talent or stuck behind studs.

Overall, it looks like the guard market might present a choice or two. I like Zeitler from Cincy.. he's a RG too. They also have to pay Witworth (OT), so not sure they'll keep both. Joeckel (spelling?) is out there too, as a guard or RT, but he never lived up this draft status.. no idea what he's got to give.

I think there might be a ILB or two hit the market. Timmons is old, so we wouldn't pay a lot. Zach Brown probably won't be retained in Buffalo, since they drafted his replacement. Not sure what he'll command. he lead the team in tackles, but that can be a misleading stat. I'd love Dont'a Hightower, but the Pats will probably retain him. Collins was traded to Cleveland, they won't let him hit the market.

I think the pass rusher market won't be that huge, so might be some value picks, like J. Sheard. I doubt the big names hit FA.

So, if we spend, it will be on Corner (even though, I'm not that excited about them.. but that doesn't mean much), Guard, LB. The rest seem like value pick ups.

I haven't kept up with our own in house guys, but obviously we're going to try to keep Fairley. And we probably have a 5th year option to exercise or some RFA's to figure out.

I think CB's tend to price out fast. We'll see.

We can't be cheap on every FA, but you make one or two decent splashes, and then a few value picks, or backups that have flashed talent or stuck behind studs.

Overall, it looks like the guard market might present a choice or two. I like Zeitler from Cincy.. he's a RG too. They also have to pay Witworth (OT), so not sure they'll keep both. Joeckel (spelling?) is out there too, as a guard or RT, but he never lived up this draft status.. no idea what he's got to give.

I think there might be a ILB or two hit the market. Timmons is old, so we wouldn't pay a lot. Zach Brown probably won't be retained in Buffalo, since they drafted his replacement. Not sure what he'll command. he lead the team in tackles, but that can be a misleading stat. I'd love Dont'a Hightower, but the Pats will probably retain him. Collins was traded to Cleveland, they won't let him hit the market.

I think the pass rusher market won't be that huge, so might be some value picks, like J. Sheard. I doubt the big names hit FA.

So, if we spend, it will be on Corner (even though, I'm not that excited about them.. but that doesn't mean much), Guard, LB. The rest seem like value pick ups.

I haven't kept up with our own in house guys, but obviously we're going to try to keep Fairley. And we probably have a 5th year option to exercise or some RFA's to figure out.

"Perfect" for me would be Trumaine Johnson and Kevin Zeitler. Anyone after that is lagniappe.

I rather for the team to be smart with their money and not try to go all out on one player. He has yet worked out for us. I still have to deal with some of our key guys now, like Vaccaro, Fairly and Cooks. Look at all the injuries we had. I much prefer signing good players that were back ups or depth from their perspective teams. Looking at our injuries this season, you can't undervalue good quality depth. We signed Craig Roberson, Sterling Moore and Nate Stupar last year. Not big name players but turn out to be very good signing. Made great contribution during the season.

Vaccaro is already locked in for 2017 with the 5th year option tag. They can negotiate for a longer term deal but don't have to.

Cooks still has a year left on his 4 year rookie deal and the Saints can lock in 2018 with a 5th year option.

Fairly will need to be done before Feb. 1st or he becomes a FA on that day and can start talks and sign with any team at that point.

If it is a high cost FA, I could see us pursuing Trumaine Johnson (if available). I would like Zeitler or maybe Warmack at OG. Warmack may come cheaper given the injury.

If we make a big $ FA signing it;s gonna be a CB . We went after Josh Norman and were interested in Joe Haden And I think that should be our #1 FA priority

If we make a big $ FA signing it;s gonna be a CB . We went after Josh Norman and were interested in Joe Haden And I think that should be our #1 FA priority

Agree.

I think we'll go after a solid starting CB. Breaux, Williams, Swann, Moore, and even Webb and Crawley would all be in camp. We'd have our #1 and #2, the rest will compete for slot corner, depth, and special teams.

LB is a little tricky. Which LB do we need the most? MLB? That would be my thought. Ellerbe and Roberston at WLB and SLB... A solid starting NFL middle linebacker, like we were hoping we were getting when we signed JL.

DE.... draft draft draft.

OL - Would definitely make me feel better going into next season.

KR/PR... draft draft draft.

Yeah probably AJ Bouye, Gilmore, Johnson, Caliborne and Kirkpatrick are all good options. Obviously, Gilmore and Johnson are the expensive ones, but the rest are solid.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom