N/S Biggest choke artists of all-time (#1 on page 8) (1 Viewer)

Jackie Smith's dropped pass, Cowboys versus Steelers, Super Bowl XIII

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbO2wlxYeWw

I know many people who feel that this moment should be higher on the list. I personally think that this is the worst drop pass in the history of the NFL. The ball hit him in the numbers and it’s almost like he completely forgot how to move his body with the ball approaching him. It was also an ENORMOUS moment in the Super Bowl. I think that this one is hurt a bit because it is an old moment and not everyone was around to see it. Also, who exactly is Jackie Smith? Most of the names on this list are players that the average football fan would know even if there wasn’t a dramatic choke job associated with them.

This play happened in the 3rd quarter and would only have tied the game. Dallas did not lose the game because of this play. Imo, the
biggest mistake was Randy White recovering a short kickoff and trying to return it with a cast on his left hand in the 4th quarter. He
fumbled a gave the Steelers great field position. The Steelers scored a TD to take a 35-17 lead and pretty much put the game out
of reach. Tom Landry also has to take blame for bad coaching. Tony Dorsett was running at will against that defense in the
1st quarter and early 2nd. Landry went away from what was working and became pass happy. That was not a smart idea against
one of the best pass rushing defenses of all time. I'm showing my age, but I remember this game vividly and was happy Dallas lost.

This play happened in the 3rd quarter and would only have tied the game. Dallas did not lose the game because of this play. Imo, the
biggest mistake was Randy White recovering a short kickoff and trying to return it with a cast on his left hand in the 4th quarter. He
fumbled a gave the Steelers great field position. The Steelers scored a TD to take a 35-17 lead and pretty much put the game out
of reach. Tom Landry also has to take blame for bad coaching. Tony Dorsett was running at will against that defense in the
1st quarter and early 2nd. Landry went away from what was working and became pass happy. That was not a smart idea against
one of the best pass rushing defenses of all time. I'm showing my age, but I remember this game vividly and was happy Dallas lost.

I agree. I personally wouldn't have had the Lett play in my top 10. Lett's problem wasn't that he choked...the guy just made really poor decisions. So far of the three that I have listed, Carney, Smith, and Lett...I would probably rank them 1) Carney, 2) Smith, 3) Lett. But, of course, I'm biased and that may be feeding into the Carney ranking a little bit. There are a number a few that fell just outside of the top team that I felt were clearly bigger "chokes" than Lett's fumble.

Its going to be lost in time for people who didn't witness the Carney XP miss, that it was when XPs were from the 2 yard line - a ridiculously short distance that would eventually be deemed as both too easy and a waste of time.

I agree. I personally wouldn't have had the Lett play in my top 10. Lett's problem wasn't that he choked...the guy just made really poor decisions. So far of the three that I have listed, Carney, Smith, and Lett...I would probably rank them 1) Carney, 2) Smith, 3) Lett. But, of course, I'm biased and that may be feeding into the Carney ranking a little bit. There are a number a few that fell just outside of the top team that I felt were clearly bigger "chokes" than Lett's fumble.
Faceman was talking about the dropped TD pass, not Lett

Its going to be lost in time for people who didn't witness the Carney XP miss, that it was when XPs were from the 2 yard line - a ridiculously short distance that would eventually be deemed as both too easy and a waste of time.

Physics suggest that it is actually sort of hard to miss an FG from 2 yard line as long as it is semi-straight and has enough height. You
Faceman was talking about the dropped TD pass, not Lett

Oops.LOL I should read better. You're correct

Redskins kicker who missed the chip shot against us in 2009 which would have sealed the game We were undefeated at the time and the Redskins were turrible.

Physics suggest that it is actually sort of hard to miss an FG from 2 yard line as long as it is semi-straight and has enough height.

It wasn't even close. Someone mustve told Carney he can get 2 points and the win if he kicks it through the goalposts at Foxborough.

Brett Favre’s INT, Saints vs Vikings, 2009 NFC Championship Game

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UUeqvquXZI

A moment dear to all of us. Just everything that led up to that moment was incredible. The multiple turnovers by the Vikings that kept the Saints in the game. The roughing up of Brett Favre. The penalty immediately proceeding the play. Favre's INT is easily one of the top 5 moments in Saints history. Did he choke? I'm not sure. Favre always played very agressive and felt he can make every throw. So INTs like this one weren't completely out of the norm. There was also a little bit of pressure on him considering that it was 3rd-and-long. I think that it is likely a little bit more of more decision making than Favre being overcome with anxiety about the moment.

Scott Norwood missed FG, Bills versus Giants, Super Bowl XXV

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFZCGgjDSg

47 wide right. This is honestly my first specific memory of NFL football. I had wanted football games before but I can't remember anything. It speaks to the magnitude of that moment in many people's lives. I honestly have a tough time saying for sure that Norwood actually choked. Yes, it was a big moment and a kick that he should have probably made, but it was a 47 yard kick.

Huh, Looks like I'm basically getting them right. I almost included the Jackie Smith dropped pass, but I didn't think any WR's would make the list over the more obvious QBs and kickers.

The Lett fumble surprised me. That's kind of what he does, so it wasn't a big surprise, and the regular season meant the stakes were low.

Scott Norwood missed FG, Bills versus Giants, Super Bowl XXV

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPFZCGgjDSg

47 wide right. This is honestly my first specific memory of NFL football. I had wanted football games before but I can't remember anything. It speaks to the magnitude of that moment in many people's lives. I honestly have a tough time saying for sure that Norwood actually choked. Yes, it was a big moment and a kick that he should have probably made, but it was a 47 yard kick.

47 yard FG is not a choke, it's 50/50

Re: #8 IMO that Super Bowl featured two of the best teams in NFL history and was the best Super Bowl matchup as well.

Re: #6 Thank you twelfth man in the huddle! If not for that, they run Peterson one more time to set up the field goal. That penalty made it just outside of comfort range and they needed to get those five yards back.

Earnest Byner’s fumble, Browns vs Broncos, 1987 AFC Championship game

Was young while it happened so I don't remember this game. After watching the clip, this is another situation that I'm not convinced that Byner "choked". I think that he was a little bit careless with the football and was trying to do too much with the football. It's really unfortunate because Byner looked really good on that drive on the plays before. He was a very talented runner. Many Browns fans feel like this fumble somehow cursed their organization and is responsible for their LOL worthy decades of sadness (after the move to Baltimore). It was a big moment and a big mistake, and that is often good enough for someone to call it a choke.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom