N/S Biggest choke artists of all-time (#1 on page 8) (1 Viewer)

Marcus Williams’ missed tackle, Saints vs Vikings, 2017-2018 NFC division playoff game
FWIW, while I did think of this as a choke, it wasn't the 'flop' that really got me. Yes, it looked terrible, but I always felt that the choke was him being that far out of position in the first place. The thing was, that was probably going to be a catch whether Williams made the tackle or not. The missed tackle, of course, led to the touchdown. But if the catch was made and tackled at the spot, the Vikings were still in field goal range and their kicker had been money all day. So, even if Williams made the tackle, Saints still probably lose the game.

I always wondered if Williams knew that and was trying to make a hard hit to dislodge the ball.

FWIW, while I did think of this as a choke, it wasn't the 'flop' that really got me. Yes, it looked terrible, but I always felt that the choke was him being that far out of position in the first place. The thing was, that was probably going to be a catch whether Williams made the tackle or not. The missed tackle, of course, led to the touchdown. But if the catch was made and tackled at the spot, the Vikings were still in field goal range and their kicker had been money all day. So, even if Williams made the tackle, Saints still probably lose the game.

I always wondered if Williams knew that and was trying to make a hard hit to dislodge the ball.
Vikes had no timeouts left, so if Marcus makes the tackle and keeps Diggs inbound, the game is over. No way they have enough time to line up for a FG.

No way Williams should be #2. Recency bias at it's finest right here. The stage just wasn't big enough. Had it happened in a Super Bowl then sure, but a divisional round playoff game?

Everson Walls failing to tackle Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship would be a good replacement. He was a rookie DB at the time just as MW was, but Walls’ blown coverage resulted in a dynasty while the Vikings fail in the playoffs as usual.

I haven't really studied the Williams play much at all because it stings but looking at it today it looked like Williams would've arrived before the ball had he not put his head down and did well, whatever he did. I don't even know what to call it.

Gary Anderson’s missed FG, Vikings vs Falcons, 1998 NFC Championship Game

Interesting that the top 2 on the list both worked against the Saints. I was surprised that Anderson won in such convincing fashion. 88 voting members, with over a quarter voting for Gary Anderson as the biggest choke artist in NFL history.

Context is really important on this one. Gary Anderson truly is one of the great kickers in NFL history. If he had missed a kick in about two seasons before missing this kick, there is no way that he is #1 on the list. It really was a kick that Anderson should have made. A 38 kick for a legendary kicker does suggest that it could have been a choke. But at the same time, the Vikings had a 7 point lead at the time, and their defense couldn't hold it. And then they couldn't help them again in overtime.

I know you chose not to include team efforts, but 28-3 is by far the biggest choke in sports history.

I know you chose not to include team efforts, but 28-3 is by far the biggest choke in sports history.

I did quite a bit of research putting together the top 15 individual chokes in NFL history before including them in the poll. While doing so I had to sift through numerous other team related chokes, coaching coaches, and ref chokes. I also went through a ton of other sports chokes as well, because I built my list primarily based on more broad lists of all sports.

And you would be correct, though there may be some recency bias, the Falcons collapse is widely perceived as a top 3 choke in all of sports on more recent lists. You will also see Pete Carroll's name mentioned near the top.

Regarding the biggest individual in all of sports...golfers are typically near the top. And they are low hanging fruit...it's not a team sport...and it's probably the most psychological sport there is. I mean...anyone who has ever played golf before knows just how frustrating that it is and how things can unravel on you in a hurry. I witnessed both the Greg Norman and Van de Velde chokes and man...you can't help but to feel for them. It was like watching the movie Titanic...you knew the collapse was well underway and you had to experience it play out over the course of hours.

I did quite a bit of research putting together the top 15 individual chokes in NFL history before including them in the poll. While doing so I had to sift through numerous other team related chokes, coaching coaches, and ref chokes. I also went through a ton of other sports chokes as well, because I built my list primarily based on more broad lists of all sports.

And you would be correct, though there may be some recency bias, the Falcons collapse is widely perceived as a top 3 choke in all of sports on more recent lists. You will also see Pete Carroll's name mentioned near the top.

Regarding the biggest individual in all of sports...golfers are typically near the top. And they are low hanging fruit...it's not a team sport...and it's probably the most psychological sport there is. I mean...anyone who has ever played golf before knows just how frustrating that it is and how things can unravel on you in a hurry. I witnessed both the Greg Norman and Van de Velde chokes and man...you can't help but to feel for them. It was like watching the movie Titanic...you knew the collapse was well underway and you had to experience it play out over the course of hours.
top 3?
it ties with the Battle of Agincourt as the biggest choke of all time

Recency bias. This should've been on the list:
October 25, 1965, Minnesota Vikings DE Jim Marshall recovered a fumble and ran 66 yards in the wrong direction to score a safety FOR the San Francisco 49ers.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom