Biggest offseason need: Explosive playmaker at WR (1 Viewer)

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Look at the four teams left:

Buffalo (Diggs and Brown)
Chiefs (Hill, Hardman, etc)
Bucs (Brown, Godwin)
Packers (anyone Rodgers throws to)

They all have multiple guys who can stretch the defense. They make offense look easy.

We didn’t have that. When you can stress the defense vertically, it makes the underneath stuff much easier.

Obviously we won’t be able to get one of the big 3 in this draft unless we trade up, although Waddle would be perfect if he slipped a little.

A guy I like is Kadarius Toney at UF. But UF’s offense was more about getting it in his hands and making plays instead of going deep.

Marquez Stevenson at Houston is intriguing.

Tamorrion Terry from FSU is big and fast and his lack of production can be attributed to poor OLine and QB play.

Rondale Moore could be a special player, but his size and injuries scare me a bit. Plus, like Toney, he seems to do a lot of his damage after the catch instead of just taking the top off the D.

Anyone else?

Sean Payton's offense was at its most unstoppable when he had 2 burners outside to take the top off defenses (Devery and Meach). A couple possession guys to work the seams and underneath (Colston and Lance Moore). A TE that's a legit threat and can win one-on-one matchups (Graham). Running backs that can be legit threats as receivers out of the backfield (Reggie, PT, and Sproles). Oh and a QB that can make every throw (Drew before father time got him).

Until we get that roster of skill position players we won't be that explosive Saints team that we've come to love. We some pieces in place... Mike T can be Colston. Calloway and maybe TQS can be the burners outside but I doubt they're as fast as Devery and Meach were. AK is the ultimate mismatch out of the backfield. Trautman has potential at TE.

I think Jameis can be a solid QB for us and he can definitely make all of the throws. We just need to get rid of all the big receivers that can't get open, and replace them with fast guys that can.

We have the dbs to cover we need the line to get there quicker. Some lbers that play with speed and instinct. On o we get pushed around way to easily. We don't bull with the bulls very well. We have to scheme our run game a lot. We have a bunch of big tall sure handed guys at wr but we could use another Harris .quick shifty threat after the catch guys were sorely lacking in 2020.

I don’t think WR is a huge need. I would rather LB, TE, OG, or OT. And likely a Safety.

Edit —I forgot a QB.

I would put a pass catching TE or Defensive Lineman as a bigger need.

This year has shown the decline of Cameron Jordan, while we do have Davenport he hasn’t proven to me that he can play a full 16 games.

Games are won and lost in the trench’s

Literally Godwin and Brown did absolutely nothing vs us all season, including in the playoffs.
Patriots never had a burner when they were winning all those super bowls.
Hardeman???
It's about an offense. All 11. The coaching. The execution. The OL. The QB.

It's not about a burner WR.

We've got plenty of guys that are fast enough to get downfield if the play is designed well, blocked well, and the QB gets it to them.

You mentioned GB burners. Here are 40 times for GB and NO.

Valdez Scandling 4.37
Emmauel Sanders 4.41
Trequan 4.49
Lazard 4.55
D Adams 4.56
M Thomas 4.57

There's absolutely no difference. It's about so much more than "having a burner"

It's low on my list. MT, Sanders, Harris, Trequan, and Callaway all under contract, I think the next QB has options. We saw that if you take Brees out, suddenly Sanders is making spectacular deep catches.

We do need a threat at TE. I'm not sure what we have in Trautman yet.

Literally Godwin and Brown did absolutely nothing vs us all season, including in the playoffs.
Patriots never had a burner when they were winning all those super bowls.
Hardeman???
It's about an offense. All 11. The coaching. The execution. The OL. The QB.

It's not about a burner WR.

We've got plenty of guys that are fast enough to get downfield if the play is designed well, blocked well, and the QB gets it to them.

You mentioned GB burners. Here are 40 times for GB and NO.

Valdez Scandling 4.37
Emmauel Sanders 4.41
Trequan 4.49
Lazard 4.55
D Adams 4.56
M Thomas 4.57

There's absolutely no difference. It's about so much more than "having a burner"

Godwin and Brown did nothing against us because we game planned to take them away. But their presence is something teams must account for and it allows other guys to get open. That’s the point.

I don’t care about 40 times. I care about playing speed. We need guys who can get open downfield in pads and helmets, not just run fast in shorts.

Harris is a start. But can he beat press coverage when it comes down to it? TB was playing 10 guys at the line for the last quarter and a half and we couldn’t beat them.

And for those saying QB, of course. But we already know Taysom will be here and Jameis likely will be. So I’m looking at needs based on what a roster built around one or both of them will need to win the division again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom