Biggest offseason need: Explosive playmaker at WR (1 Viewer)

Step 1 - fill vacant coaching positions
Step 2 - release and restructure player contracts to get under the CAP
Step 3 - evaluate what remains (players and position depth)
Step 4 - possible free agent signings (don't expect much)
Step 5 - another draft like 2017

I mean, we won 12, 13, 13 and 11 games with a limited offense that couldn’t stretch the field.

The teams left in the playoffs have QBs and playmakers that force defenses to defend all over the field. Which opens up more windows underneath and makes offense easier.

Our offense simply had to be too precise to make things work. When everything tightens up in the playoffs, that didn’t work for us anymore.

I’m not saying we sacrifice assets to jump up for one of the big 3 in this draft. But there are a lot of guys who can bring the element we’re missing without moving up.

There's just no way we keep all of our current pieces that make us the most well rounded team in the NFL...and some of our keep players, like Cam Jordan, looks like they are worsening. Jenkins will be another year older as well, and there were quite a few times (including in the playoffs) that he looked slow out there.

I don’t think it’s the sole reason a all. But when you have to orchestrate a 10-15 play drive with meticulous precision, almost every possession...it proves difficult. As we’ve seen in the playoffs the last few years, defenses don’t respect the long ball so they squat on the under and smother us.
Saints were one of the teams with the least number of turnovers in the NFL this season and that is with some changes at QB due to injury this season. We were, by far, the lowest in 2019. I realize that the last game had many turnovers and that has left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, but not sure our offense could be seen as a huge negative.

There's just no way we keep all of our current pieces that make us the most well rounded team in the NFL...and some of our keep players, like Cam Jordan, looks like they are worsening. Jenkins will be another year older as well, and there were quite a few times (including in the playoffs) that he looked slow out there.

We actually can keep most or all of the key contributors. Underhill’s article lays it out really well.

Agree on Jordan’s pass rushing, but his run stopping was steal near the top of the league. I thought Jenkins actually played faster as the year went on.

Saints were one of the teams with the least number of turnovers in the NFL this season and that is with some changes at QB due to injury this season. We were, by far, the lowest in 2019. I realize that the last game had many turnovers and that has left a bad taste in everyone's mouths, but not sure our offense could be seen as a huge negative.
Good points. I’ll clarify, I think our style of offense is bound to fail in the playoffs. As we’ve seen the last few years. Not necessarily turnovers, just our overall inability to score in the post season.

Good points. I’ll clarify, I think our style of offense is bound to fail in the playoffs. As we’ve seen the last few years. Not necessarily turnovers, just our overall inability to score in the post season.

Exactly.

We can point to our great turnover ratio in the regular season. But in the postseason, it was turnovers that lost us games against Minnesota and Tampa and kept it close against Chicago.

Bottom line: you can’t rely on timing and rhythm alone when every defense in the postseason is laser focused on throwing off timing and rhythm. And, if we’re completely honest, the game gets more physical because officials let them play more on both sides.

I agree that going forward we could use another true burner. We haven't really needed one the past few years though. We could've had Randy Moss and Joey Galloway but that speed means nothing if the QB physically can't throw a football 20+ yards.

That's about to change though and I like where your head's at. I wouldn't say it's our biggest need but it's certainly something I'd like to see. There will be a place for speed merchants in this offense again. Surely. Right?

That Scary Terry fella looks intriguing. He just became my first draft crush.

Last edited:

I think our offense failed this year because Brees' arm has had it (and he may have been playing with a tear in his rotator cuff) and the fact that Taysom Hill and Murray were both out so we had no power running game. Hill, in particular, was very important to creating mismatches in the current offensive scheme.

And, I don't buy this overall because the offense has been different every year in the playoffs. Some years it has been reliant on the joker back in the form of Kamra or Bush creating the mismatches, sometimes it was all about slants to Mike Thomas, sometimes it's been about blowing the top off the defense with speed at WR, etc. It changes every year to fit what we have in the way of players on offense. But, to the extent that the offense has struggled, and I don't think it really has other than against Minnesota last year and Tampa this year, it's because when you get in the playoffs, you are usually playing some of the best defenses in the NFL. They will expose your weaknesses.

We should be looking at DL - Barmore from Alabama. It's been said he has played out on the Edge. The man is a stud.

I think our offense failed this year because Brees' arm has had it (and he may have been playing with a tear in his rotator cuff) and the fact that Taysom Hill and Murray were both out so we had no power running game. Hill, in particular, was very important to creating mismatches in the current offensive scheme.

And, I don't buy this overall because the offense has been different every year in the playoffs. Some years it has been reliant on the joker back in the form of Kamra or Bush creating the mismatches, sometimes it was all about slants to Mike Thomas, sometimes it's been about blowing the top off the defense with speed at WR, etc. It changes every year to fit what we have in the way of players on offense. But, to the extent that the offense has struggled, and I don't think it really has other than against Minnesota last year and Tampa this year, it's because when you get in the playoffs, you are usually playing some of the best defenses in the NFL. They will expose your weaknesses.
All fair points.
I don’t think our offensive struggles in the playoffs have just been against Minny and Tampa tho. I may misremember but I don’t recall a dominant offensive performance since our 11 run. 09 we smoked folks too.

Either way I hope we get it figured out, thankful for the great records in the regular season but would love some playoff success. I don’t care if we win every game 2-0. Just win.

I think that's a luxury. Building the lines is the best long term investment unless a stud LB falls.

I'd say draft needs:
1. BPA
2. BPA
3. BPA
4. BPA
5. Safety just because we always do.

All kidding aside Id hope that a side line to side line stud Middle Linebacker will be high on our list.
I agree with this. I’d take Lavigne David, Deion Jones, Devin White type LB over any WR in draft. That LB gives you coverage skills as well as pass rush skills. Every year other than QB my favorite player is that fast type LB. Demario getting up there and we have nobody else. If they think they can get one in 2nd round I’d trade down to get an extra pick since we are short of picks and have no money to sign free agents.

I agree with this. I’d take Lavigne David, Deion Jones, Devin White type LB over any WR in draft. That LB gives you coverage skills as well as pass rush skills. Every year other than QB my favorite player is that fast type LB. Demario getting up there and we have nobody else. If they think they can get one in 2nd round I’d trade down to get an extra pick since we are short of picks and have no money to sign free agents.
I’d like a trade down but have we ever in the SP era?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom