FA Biggest Offseason Needs (1 Viewer)

Saintsfan8989

SaintSational
Reaction score
First off, I am totally focused on this season. Yet, I always have an eye for the future too. Personally, I view WR, TE, & defense help on back end as priorities. Obviously they cannot necessarily fix all of these areas in one draft. Might need to look at free agency too.

What do you view as the Saints top priorities? What route would you utilize to fix said needs?

As well as some main positions, I also hope we do something about special teams. I’m talking about returning and covering kicks/punts. All our returns seem to barely make it to the 25 and we haven’t a reliable kick returner in too long. I’m also nervous when the other team is returning that I could break all the way. I think we have been sub par on special teams in that regard for a long time so hopefully we can do something about it. Of course Lutz and Morstead are exempt from everything I’ve just said because they are beasts.

Bridgewater, Ingram, Teo, Josh Hill, Watson, Craig Robertson, Banjo, PJ, Davison, Crawly, TLL, -
All these folks are in their last year of their contract.

I assume we keep some, but to me we definitely need:
CB, Slot CB, TE, RB (hope we keep Ingram), LB, OL depth

Anyone want to give their opinion on why they don't agree with this? I have put a-lot of thought into this:

1. DT next to Rankins. I love Onyemata and Davison. They are great rotational players who can come in the game and contribute as a starter. However, I would love to see a player (like Hicks now) next to Rankins that just collapses the opposing O-Line allowing Okafor, Davenport, and Jordan eat the QB. The reason why I am making an argument to go after another DT is because the team has shown that they wanted one--Or else, we wouldn't have tried to pursue Suh or Wilkerson in the offseason. They didn't succeed, but what's mind boggling is that they stopped trying to find a DT after that. I could see Gerald McCoy placed on the trading block, but Tampa wouldn't trade him here.

2. Speaking of DE, I would love to see us go after another DE--However, a veteran DE that can contribute as a rotational player with Okafor and Hendrickson (assuming Jordan and Davenport starts and progresses) will do. Will Ziggy Ansah be the Answer Ansah?

3. I love Davis and Anzalone. But, I do believe that another LB here is needed (insert Mack/Garrett/Miller DE/OLB type). <--I believe this is the missing piece. Hard to find those hybrid type of players though...

--Side note, can you imagine both Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith become free agents in two years-Lmao, imagine Davis at the Will, Jack at the Mike, and Smith at the Sam. Anyways, I've digressed.

4. CB or S. Let's call spade a spade. We are just not 100% sold on the secondary. I am still seeing issues that we have had since 06. We'd constantly give up 15, 20, 25 yard plays and don't play disciplined because I am constantly seeing pass interference called on us in the secondary...Can't tell if it's the coaching, the lack of pass rush, or just simply we need another secondary guy who can cover. However, I do believe getting another player (CB or S) who can cover is of great help.

5. O-Line depth always is of need. I don't care if you are the best football team in NFL history. O-line need is an always.

6. TE. TE. TE. TE. TE. I can't stress this enough. I love Arnold and Watson. But, let's be real here--A dominant TE like JG in his prime would elevate this offseason. Automatic TD in the redzone.

Last edited:
Anyone want to give their opinion on why they don't agree with this? I have put a-lot of thought into this:

1. DT next to Rankins. I love Onyemata and Davison. They are great rotational players who can come in the game and contribute as a starter. However, I would love to see a player (like Hicks now) next to Rankins that just collapses the opposing O-Line allowing Okafor, Davenport, and Jordan eat the QB. The reason why I am making an argument to go after another DT is because the team has shown that they wanted one--Or else, we wouldn't have tried to pursue Suh or Wilkerson in the offseason. They didn't succeed, but what's mind boggling is that they stopped trying to find a DT after that. I could see Gerald McCoy placed on the trading block, but Tampa wouldn't trade him here.

2. Speaking of DE, I would love to see us go after another DE--However, a veteran DE that can contribute as a rotational player with Okafor and Hendrickson (assuming Jordan and Davenport starts and progresses) will do. Will Ziggy Ansah be the Answer Ansah?

3. I love Davis and Anzalone. But, I do believe that another LB here is needed (insert Mack/Garrett/Miller DE/OLB type). <--I believe this is the missing piece. Hard to find those hybrid type of players though...

--Side note, can you imagine both Myles Jack and Jaylon Smith become free agents in two years-Lmao, imagine Davis at the Will, Jack at the Mike, and Smith at the Sam. Anyways, I've digressed.

4. CB or S. Let's call spade a spade. We are just not 100% sold on the secondary. I am still seeing issues that we have had since 06. We'd constantly give up 15, 20, 25 yard plays and don't play disciplined because I am constantly seeing pass interference called on us in the secondary...Can't tell if it's the coaching, the lack of pass rush, or just simply we need another secondary guy who can cover. However, I do believe getting another player (CB or S) who can cover is of great help.

5. O-Line depth always is of need. I don't care if you are the best football team in NFL history. O-line need is an always.

6. TE. TE. TE. TE. TE. I can't stress this enough. I love Arnold and Watson. But, let's be real here--A dominant TE like JG in his prime would elevate this offseason. Automatic TD in the redzone.
Good post, however I don’t think we would go after Ziggy. Too expensive just to be a rotational player.

Our priority needs to be retaining Ingram, Lutz, TB, and maybe Teo... everyone else is replaceable. We also need to solidify WR2 beit Dez or whoever but whoever it is they need to be strong, crisp and sure handed.

We cant afford to be adding players in free agency with the contracts we are about to give out to retain our best players. This offseason we are in good shape but next year we will see a cap crunch. Better to save now so we dont lose any key free agents.

We cant afford to be adding players in free agency with the contracts we are about to give out to retain our best players. This offseason we are in good shape but next year we will see a cap crunch. Better to save now so we dont lose any key free agents.
Very true. We have 16 million in cap room for next season. That’s not that much at all. Especially when we have to pay key players like you say.

Agreed.
We need to make our 2nd round pick this offseason count. And I think we will.
CB2 TE WR for me.

Assuming obviously that Drew plays next year, which I think he gives us one more year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom