Bill Cosby (Update: PA Supreme Court overturns conviction) (2 Viewers)

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Actor Bill Cosby won’t be paroled this year after refusing to participate in sex offender programs during his nearly three years in state prison in Pennsylvania.

The 83-year-old Cosby has long said he would resist the treatment programs and refuse to acknowledge wrongdoing even if it means serving the full 10-year sentence.

This is the first year he was eligible for parole under the three- to 10-year sentence handed down after his 2018 conviction.

Cosby spokesperson Andrew Wyatt called the decision “appalling” and said Cosby “vehemently proclaims his innocence.”.........

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Actor Bill Cosby won’t be paroled this year after refusing to participate in sex offender programs during his nearly three years in state prison in Pennsylvania.

The 83-year-old Cosby has long said he would resist the treatment programs and refuse to acknowledge wrongdoing even if it means serving the full 10-year sentence.

This is the first year he was eligible for parole under the three- to 10-year sentence handed down after his 2018 conviction.

Cosby spokesperson Andrew Wyatt called the decision “appalling” and said Cosby “vehemently proclaims his innocence.”.........

I obviously don't believe he is innocent

But if you were wrongfully convicted of his crimes or similar, would you refuse the 'treatment' knowing that taking part is pretty much an admission of guilt or would you stand on principle knowing that it would prevent you from getting probation?

Now obviously there are things that would affect that decision such as what you had on the outside that you were missing out on and just how bad things are for you in prison but I honestly don't know what I would do

Last edited:
I obviously don't believe he I'd innocent

But if you were wrongfully convicted of his crimes or similar, would you refuse the 'treatment' knowing that taking part is pretty much an admission of guilt or would you stand on principle knowing that it would prevent you from getting probation?

Now obviously there are things that would affect that decision such as what you had on the outside that you were missing out on and just how bad things are for you in prison but I honestly don't know what I would do
Yeah I was just listening to one of the Exonerated Five and he was saying how they would always get kicked out of their court mandated, group sex abuse sessions bc admitting to/talking about your crime was the first step - and since they did not rape the jogger...

Yeah I was just listening to one of the Exonerated Five and he was saying how they would always get kicked out of their court mandated, group sex abuse sessions bc admitting to/talking about your crime was the first step - and since they did not rape the jogger...
And you know an incredible amount of pressure was put on them to admit it so they could be 'fixed'

Interesting.

Obviously unpopular decision but probably correct on the merits - trial court letting 5 other alleged victims testify about other alleged 'bad acts' that were not part of the actual charges is pretty prejudicial.

I'm only part way into the decision, but it seems they notified Cosby's attorneys that they didn't intend to prosecute criminally so he couldn't take the 5th at his civil trial. Then they used that testimony when a later DA decided to prosecute him. If that's the basis for the decision (like I said, there's more to read), it seems reasonable.

I'm only part way into the decision, but it seems they notified Cosby's attorneys that they didn't intend to prosecute criminally so he couldn't take the 5th at his civil trial. Then they used that testimony when a later DA decided to prosecute him. If that's the basis for the decision (like I said, there's more to read), it seems reasonable.

Yes, I deleted by post because I was focused on the prior bad acts testimony but having now read the opinion all the way through they didnt even address that issue in the end because they overturned based on his reliance on that non-prosecution agreement.

I hate seeing Cosby go free but seems like the rush to get his scalp on the wall cut too many corners.

Personally I would've been fine overturning based on the prior bad acts argument as well. Can't just have a parade of people talking sheet about the defendant on unrelated bad acts.

Does this mean we have to pull our pants up now?
Depending on your proclivities, now might be the time to make sure they are pulled down and make sure you are willing to drink whatever a has been comedian puts in front of you

Yeah if i were a lawyer i think i would totally understand the reasoning for letting him go free, based on the deal he made originally…. But as a human being, it seems like a pretty trivial reason for a convicted scumbag to walk free.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom