Bill Cosby (Update: PA Supreme Court overturns conviction) (2 Viewers)

What some celebrities are saying:

"Told you so on #BillCosby. He was convicted by a court so tainted by public opinion and social pressure that it allowed obviously prejudicial evidence and improper witnesses. He may be a bad guy, but in this case he was railroaded by the mob. Cosby served two years on a case that a previous prosecutor promised would never be brought. And to allow the testimony of five other accusers was-legally speaking-outrageous. And if you're p*ssed off now, wait until the Appeals Court in NY reverses #HarveyWeinstein's conviction." --Geraldo Rivera

"FINALLY!!!! A terrible wrong is being righted- a miscarriage of justice is corrected!," Phylicia Rashad

#BillCosby being released from prison on a technicality is a complete miscarriage of justice & will never be an exoneration for the brutal crimes he committed against women. The world is now woke & women will no longer be silenced. You should be ashamed of yourself," Gretchen Carlson

I am furious to hear this news. I personally know women who this man drugged and raped while unconscious. Shame on the court and this decision. I don't want to hear anything about how cancel culture ruined men's lives during the MeToo era reckoning for women and survivors. How we went too far. Today's news that Cosby's conviction is being overturned is proof we haven't gone far enough. Our justice system MUST change." Amber Tamblyn

For a criminal defendant, victory on appeal is rare. A decision barring further prosecution, as the Pennsylvania Supreme Court handed down Wednesday when it vacated Bill Cosby’s conviction, is rarer still.

For Cosby, this is a huge win. For the women who have accused Cosby of actions ranging from groping to sexual assault to rape, it’s a devastating blow. For other victims of sex crimes and would-be defendants, it’s virtually meaningless. This ruling has little, if any, precedential value because nothing similar to this is likely to ever happen again.

Bill Cosby was always a special defendant, and the state Supreme Court ruling was, therefore, a special case. When celebrities or the megarich are involved, the traditional policies get thrown out the window — not just at the Montgomery County Courthouse but in every courthouse in America.........

As the court opinion stated, “Having determined that a criminal trial likely could not be won, D.A. Castor contemplated an alternative course of action that could place Constand on a path to some form of justice. He decided that a civil lawsuit for money damages was her best option.”

This is not normal. District attorneys don’t usually make decisions about whether to charge a defendant — or decline to do so — in an effort to affect the outcome of a civil case. Instead, prosecutors will seek restitution, an order in a criminal case for the defendant to pay a victim to make them whole. But that’s part of the criminal case.

Prosecutors will tell you they don’t care about civil cases. After all, they’re prosecutors; they wouldn’t have joined the DA’s office if lawsuits were their thing. But special defendants get special treatment.

It’s not always because the judge or the attorneys are starstruck or intimidated by fame. Quite the contrary: Prosecutors assigned to a celebrity case bring their A-game, knowing their careers could rise or fall with this one high-profile case. The heightened sense of security and the presence of cameras on the courthouse steps also make the jurors sit up straighter and listen harder.

Here, it seems a prosecutor felt pressure to make an out-of-the-ordinary maneuver to satisfy a public unusually attuned to a given case and demanding action. This is not necessarily injustice. It’s just … different.

When you use a different rule book, it can end up backfiring............

and any way you look at this it was a technicality - this has nothing to do with innocence

Please stop saying things like this
=========================

"It's a beautiful day, not just for Bill Cosby because this is about all Americans, making sure that they get justice," Cosby's spokesman Andrew Wyatt told the Post. "It's a beautiful day, also for women."........

They need to go on a show with an AA woman host (who is not Candace Owen) and try this nonsense

Bill's first interview since being released
============================

In his first radio interview after being released from prison on Wednesday, Bill Cosby appeared to describe his case as a win for those who have been wrongfully accused or imprisoned.

The 83-year-old comedian, whose 2018 sex assault conviction was thrown out by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, had a brief conversation with Detroit radio host Frankie Darcell about how people like him feel “powerless” when faced with false accusations.

“Take advantage of this situation,” he said, “and play it like you have never played something before because your audience needs the truth. They need clarity. They need guidance. And they need to know where to go, and how to join, and how to do things.”

Cosby went on to speak about people he met in prison who cannot afford a good attorney.............

Bill's first interview since being released
============================

In his first radio interview after being released from prison on Wednesday, Bill Cosby appeared to describe his case as a win for those who have been wrongfully accused or imprisoned.

The 83-year-old comedian, whose 2018 sex assault conviction was thrown out by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, had a brief conversation with Detroit radio host Frankie Darcell about how people like him feel “powerless” when faced with false accusations.
giphy.gif

One of his attorneys on TMZ saying this is a great day for black men in the country. Pretty terrible thing to say, this doesn't change the fact he was guilty at all. Just a procedural error that lets him get released.
Yeah, guess we're just gonna forget what a "great day for [women}" it is .

Yeah if i were a lawyer i think i would totally understand the reasoning for letting him go free, based on the deal he made originally…. But as a human being, it seems like a pretty trivial reason for a convicted scumbag to walk free.
It's not trivial, though. It's like the whole foundation of our country or some such like that.
That's why I try not to let myself get too up in my feels over how things "should" be. I'm not saying I TRUST in the process, but it's our process and we've got to let it run its course.

what's the over/under on how long it takes for the Lifetime movie?
Heck, they've already done The Lori Vallow Daybell story and though the two are in jail, nobody's actually been convicted yet.

Heck, they've already done The Lori Vallow Daybell story and though the two are in jail, nobody's actually been convicted yet.
I think we should get Tarantino to do it for his last movie in a historical fiction style like Once Upon A Time In Hollywood just so Samuel L Jackson can play Cosby

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom