Bill O'Reilly, Was he right or wrong? (1 Viewer)

New Orleans is corrupt. O'Reilly is a tool.

Nothing new to read here.

You know, it is not the politically correct thing to say but I do agree with him to some extent, I wouldn't go as far as to say "Wasteland", that is a bit too harsh. I grew up around N.O.P.D cops, many who went on to be high ranking through the years. I have overheard their conversations, many of them refer to New Orleans as "3rd world war-zone" many said it's an "Animal House". As bad as Katrina was, it allowed the city to get a do-over, what came from that? An indicted mayor, a bunch of politicians going to jail for corruption.

At crawfish boils, many of these same cops laughed at how bad the leadership was at all levels, many cops currently think Serpas is a moron.

We have a guy running O.P.P who has 0 background in law enforcement prior.

Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriff (2004-2013)
City Councilman, District D (2000-2004)
City of New Orleans, Chief Administrative Officer (1994-2000)
Director of Property Management (1984-1986)
Director, Office of Minority Business Development
Louisiana Department of Revenue and Taxation
Regional Tax Attorney
Orleans Parish Civil Sheriff’s Office Staff Attorney
Attorney, Private Practice
N.O. Business Development Center- Executive Director
Southern University of New Orleans Adjunct Professor, Business Law and Finance

A politician running the prison, just blows my mind that even could happen.

I could probably go on and on, it is disappointing that Katrina allowed the city to start anew and all that did was prolong the plague from returning(Corruption)

The sad part is idiots will keep voting in the same crooked politicians in over and over again. Just because of the political party association. No change will come until voters stop thinking with their *** instead of their brains.

Asking if O'Reilly is wrong is like asking if a professional baseball player got a hit in an at-bat -- even on his good days, he misses more than he makes contact.

On this issue It is no different. He and Rivera just talked up caricatures and right-wing stereotypes of New Orleans. Yes, there is corruption in New Orleans as in many if not all larger cities. Yes there is extreme poverty and gun crime. But "vast urban wasteland?" He does himself a disservice to fall back into incendiary rhetoric that is better suited for chain emails than news and opinion journalism.

He's not below the Mendoza line but he's no Ty Cobb.

As is usually the case with the media, their perspective lacks any useful subtleties. That's said, there is a devastating amount of truth to their comments. While they completely ignore the strides in business and neighborhood environments, it is impossible to deny the prevalent culture of drugs, violence, and corruption.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Well, the area just outside the quarter is a bit of a wasteland.. but then you get into uptown, mid city, and the marigny and bywater are all good. Clearly, they're talking from experience being drunk and on foot.

But find me one city that doesn't have that?

Bring up crime and I'll bring up Chicago with their largest gang population in the country (60k). Or how LA, Long Beach, Oakland, Oklahoma City, and Newark have the most gang related killings and drive byes.

Now, would stronger police and criminal justice deter crime? Probably. In all honesty, there were articles about those displaced from Katrina in Houston and how they got a rude awakening about crime and jail time. Violent crime needs to be dealt with better.

Also, there are multiple reasons for the dip in crime in the months after Katrina, but the "martial curfew" we were under was a big part. Not saying that's the solution, but don't ignore it.

Asking if O'Reilly is wrong is like asking if a professional baseball player got a hit in an at-bat -- even on his good days, he misses more than he makes contact.

said better than i was going to

the essential problem with the O'Reilly thing is that he has no intention of being helpful/insightful - and now people who were starting to move towards reform have an excuse to pause now

You know, it is not the politically correct thing to say but I do agree with him to some extent, I wouldn't go as far as to say "Wasteland", that is a bit too harsh. I grew up around N.O.P.D cops, many who went on to be high ranking through the years. I have overheard their conversations, many of them refer to New Orleans as "3rd world war-zone" many said it's an "Animal House". As bad as Katrina was, it allowed the city to get a do-over, what came from that? An indicted mayor, a bunch of politicians going to jail for corruption.

At crawfish boils, many of these same cops laughed at how bad the leadership was at all levels, many cops currently think Serpas is a moron.

We have a guy running O.P.P who has 0 background in law enforcement prior.

Orleans Parish Criminal Sheriff (2004-2013)
City Councilman, District D (2000-2004)
City of New Orleans, Chief Administrative Officer (1994-2000)
Director of Property Management (1984-1986)
Director, Office of Minority Business Development
Louisiana Department of Revenue and Taxation
Regional Tax Attorney
Orleans Parish Civil Sheriff’s Office Staff Attorney
Attorney, Private Practice
N.O. Business Development Center- Executive Director
Southern University of New Orleans Adjunct Professor, Business Law and Finance

A politician running the prison, just blows my mind that even could happen.

I could probably go on and on, it is disappointing that Katrina allowed the city to start anew and all that did was prolong the plague from returning(Corruption)

NOPD has plenty of corruption of it's own to deal with so maybe they should look within before throwing stones. Which is part of the reason many of the rank and file don't like Serpas. He has stopped a lot of the crap, including some funny stuff with details that was going on.

And, while many politicians were busted post Katrina, you now have a City leadership that appears to more or less not be corrupt and trying to do the right thing despite highly limited resources. Although I'm sure some funny stuff still goes on especially in the mid-level of the City government.

Beyond that you can't find a city or town in America, or the world for that matter, that does not have corruption and some bad leadership. So, while O'Reilly is both an idiot and correct with some of what he says, it's not like it's totally unique to New Orleans.

That being said, I totally agree that Gussman has no business being the Criminal Sheriff. He has zero qualifications for the job. The truth is that there is no real reason to have a separate Civil Sheriff, Criminal Sheriff and Police Department. They should all be under the control of one appointed Police Superintendent or a single Sheriff. But, they are not because having three different entities allows for more political patronage jobs and more elected officials.

He was wrong in that he was making gross, exaggerated overgeneralizations.

To call New Orleans a "vast urban wasteland" is simply not true. And to assume that New Orleans's citizens are simply accepting of public corruption and ineptitude. I've lived in a few other cities, and New Orleans has by far the most civic pride and activism in my experience. Part of the problem is that New Orleanians have been subjected to politicians who can't stay on the straight and narrow.

Plus, the fact that those OPP tapes saw the light of day at all is reflective of the fact that New Orleanians are not going to sit back and take this type of performance from our public officials anymore.

But being an apathetic wasteland would certainly seem to contradict the facts that New Orleans is the fastest growing city in the U.S. for people under 30. It is the entreprenurial capital of the US. It is regarded as the best city to start up a business. It is the most desirable place in the U.S. to hold major sporting events. And it's recently been voted as the best travel destination in the U.S. by Travel and Leisure Magazine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom