Bill Simmons on Why Colston Slipped to Round 7 (1 Viewer)

albionmoonlight

Can. Shall. Will.
Reaction score
5. I have a friend that we'll call Someone Who Knows These Things. Let's just say he's connected with the league. I asked him how Marques Colston could slip to the seventh round last year and, apparently, SWKTT said that he would have gone higher but he feuded with his Hofstra coaches and they apparently bad mouthed him to all the NFL teams. This stuff happens more than you would think before the draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061117

5. I have a friend that we'll call Someone Who Knows These Things. Let's just say he's connected with the league. I asked him how Marques Colston could slip to the seventh round last year and, apparently, SWKTT said that he would have gone higher but he feuded with his Hofstra coaches and they apparently bad mouthed him to all the NFL teams. This stuff happens more than you would think before the draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061117

Bongo lives.....................................

Bongo lives.....................................

That....................................................... ......................is......................

very......................... ..........................funny!!!>.............................

I have a friend who'se front lawn is related to the turf. He says that it was because Colston played for a HOFSTRA! The turf knows.......

Remember: Page 2 on ESPNs website is for the "bloggers" and not credible journalist. I mean seriously, "Someone Who Know These Things"? LOL

With that said, wasnt one of the main things SP focused on character?

DeVito is a beast

Q: I'm 99 percent positive that Randolph and Mortimer Duke recently wagered $1 that they could turn the funniest, most successful stand-up comic into a disturbed bum on the street and turn a random unfunny guy off the street into the hottest comic in the land with TV specials and a feature film. How else can you explain the fall of Dave Chappelle and the rise of Dane Cook? It is the only answer. Looking good Dane Cook! Feeling good Dave Chappelle!
--DeVito, Washington

SG: There's still a month left in 2006, but that's the E-Mail of the Year so far.

Remember: Page 2 on ESPNs website is for the "bloggers" and not credible journalist. I mean seriously, "Someone Who Know These Things"? LOL

I totally agree. A humor columnist says that "an un-named inside source" told him something. We should give it the credit that it deserves. It might be true; it might not be true. But it is something about which to talk.

I think that people just need to find some reason that 32 teams spending millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours scouting college players could make a mistake this big. So maybe they just start making reasons up.

I recall an interview with his college coach where he gave nothing but praise to Colston. From some other site...

come on people...it was because he didn't have a nickname

"He’s a quiet, but focused young man. He is also focused on what his priorities should be. Here at Hofstra, he wasn’t a “party” type of guy. He’s also a good judge of character, and didn’t run with the wrong crowd. You’ll find that he’s a team guy, and will blend well with the team chemistry."

This from his WR coach at Hofstra, Jaime Elizondo.

google the coaches name for the link to the interview.

if other teams will use a high draft pick on talented trouble makers like Moss, then why wouldn't anyone pickup a talented 1st down machine like Colston? I can't see how all the teams would pass on talent like that for that reason. I guess I have to believe it cause it happened.

small college. bad senior week, decent senior bowl game, bad combine. a tweener, some teams wanted to make him into a TE. that's why the man slipped that far in the draft. A lot of players come from obscurity. Brady, Terrell Davis, Hasselbeck, among many others were late round draft picks. Somebody eventually had to get superlucky with one of these types of players and it happened to be us.

Even though the Saints picked him the 7th round and are looking like geniuses for doing such, remember, he was passed on by New Orleans at least six times in the draft before they finally took a shot on him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom