Bill would limit full-contact football practices:Texas (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Bill would limit full-contact football practices | www.statesman.com

Even on the football field, lessons in physics are inescapable. When two football players collide, the force can equal that of a head smashing against a wall at 20 mph. Hits that serious can cause concussions or more serious brain injuries.
If national averages hold true, about 8,000 of the 168,000 high school football players in Texas will be diagnosed with concussions each year, and untold numbers more will suffer head injuries that aren’t discovered.

One of the phenomena I discovered in moving to Austin years back was the insanity over Texas High School Football. College fans in Texas and even Cowgirls fans are lame. My son finally got to see what real college fans are like at an LSU game. UT football fans are like opera fans with white gloves. They are great people to party with and listen to live music, but as real football fans......

But Texas High School Football is a different beast. The movie Friday Night Lights did not do the fans justice. Odessa Permian and Midland Lee are literally events where the parents and uncles get tanked like Mardi Gras and literally go looking for fights in the parking lots- LITERALLY!

For Texas to be considering legislation to ban full contact in practices is a harbinger of the NFL product we will see in a few years. This is serious stuff.

The more I am exposed to high school football, the more I am in favor of legislation such as this.

High school football as a whole is pretty big in the South. I really wish all of these legislators put the same effort into finding funds for better helmets and safety equipment, as they do trying to pass bills that will only hurt the game. I understand they get their name out there more with a bill than a funding request, but they should think about the people involved instead of just thinking about their own future fame.

This is dumb, "feel good" lesilation. <5% concussion rate is pretty good considering its a contact sport, IMO, but you can't have it both ways. You would have to ban all contact to eliminate injury. If they would coach the kids better tackling fundamentals and deemphasize the glory of so-called "remember me shots", we would have a much safer prep game.

One of the phenomena I discovered in moving to Austin years back was the insanity over Texas High School Football. College fans in Texas and even Cowgirls fans are lame. My son finally got to see what real college fans are like at an LSU game. UT football fans are like opera fans with white gloves. They are great people to party with and listen to live music, but as real football fans......

Truth! Of course your son won't admit to that right?

not shocked that someone proposes this but I am shocked it is coming from Texas. North Louisiana take HS football similarly and this would not be popular in either place.

Illinois and a few other states are doing the same thing. In order for the sport to continue this is a necessity. Look for other sports such as soccer, LaCrosse and others to face the same rules.

Well-intended bill, with parameters of time limits and how much equipment can be word are still being negotiated. No brainer for Perry, but you know how that goes.

The only exposure I've had to any football fans out here is at Shoal Creek, and I tend to stay to myself even then.

This is a high school stadium they just built a few miles north of me. Yes, they take High school football pretty serious around here.

Attachments

• allen-stadium-001.jpg
    allen-stadium-001.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 23
This is a high school stadium they just built a few miles north of me. Yes, they take High school football pretty serious around here.

Man, that is super nice. The high school stadium I do my football public address announcing in has a 15K capacity but it was built back in the 30's and looks like it even though we put 500K worth of artificial turf in it this past year.

Vince Young tat? :covri: Yikes!! :hihi:

I used to belong to then same golf club as Darrel Royal, Earl Campbell (a sad, painful story to watch, really good guy, limping veg with the smarts of a 4 year old after his career), and Crenshaw. These guys bled burnt orange. I would always wear my LSU colors and cap on UT game day. I loved the abuse and these 3 were all really classy guys.

Darrel Royal, "Coach," took a liking to my son Loose Cannon when he was 5 years old. His real name was Bradford, but Coach called him Bradley, and it stuck. When coach took "Bradley under his wing," his blood turned from purple and gold to Burnt Orange. I tried shock treatment but his blood stayed Burnt Orange.

And about VY, he did a Jemarcus Russell total implode when he signed his pro contract. But the NCAA championship game against Pete Carole's SC Trojan's was likely the greatest NCAA championship game by a single player in history.

I just don't understand why he doesn't invite me to his $300k borrowed parties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom