Bills defensive staff should be fired (1 Viewer)

Even if they had squib-kicked it, who's to say a Chiefs ST defender doesn't catch it on his own 40, kneel it and all Mahomes has to do is complete one 20-25 passing play to Hill or Kelce, call a quick timeout to allow Butker to come in and kick a longer(but still makeable FG) that ties it and sends it to OT, anyway.
Don't like squib kicking it. They should kicked it high and short like Romo suggested. I'm pretty sure we did this a few years ago with Morstead. Worked out perfectly.

Don't like squib kicking it. They should kicked it high and short like Romo suggested. I'm pretty sure we did this a few years ago with Morstead. Worked out perfectly.
I don't like any kick that takes 0 time off the clock, so IMO either would have been preferable to what actually happened.

In that spot the only way you have any control over the clock is by kicking it in the field of play. Even if it just runs off 3 seconds that's a must.

And I would have all my DBs and LBers in the game. No rushers. I'll never understand why they keep rushers in the game at that point. They usually rush 3 and drop 8. Lol why not drop 11? Let Mahomes stand there all day trying to find one of his 5 eligible receivers against my 11 defenders. He might complete a pass but it's not going to be a quick strike and it's not going to be a deep ball. And he might take off running but that's eating up the seconds.

As Saints fans we know what a bad beat looks like and that was a bad beat. They had it won until they lost. It's a terrible feeling.

Just when I'd almost managed to forget what a game day thread feels like, this topic pulls me back in. The horror.

Just like the Minny Miracle. I said the Bills should have had all 11 defenders be DBs and LBs and play a 6-5. 6 at 15 yards and 5 at 25 yards. Every rusher in that situation is wasted. Who is going to get open? As an alternative they should have held every receiver which would have only been a 5 yard penalty but clock would have run some seconds off.
Jam the receivers at the line and waste seconds. Make them run a 3 yard pattern on 3rd and 8 then fight for yardage if the catch is even made. Defense cannot allow the receivers to run a 10-yard pattern in that situation

They're not firing the coach.

Jam the receivers at the line and waste seconds. Make them run a 3 yard pattern on 3rd and 8 then fight for yardage if the catch is even made. Defense cannot allow the receivers to run a 10-yard pattern in that situation
Yeah, if Iā€™m da DC here, I already KNOW Pat is gonna try to go to Kelce r Hill. So go press man on both. With the NFL rules now explained on here, hell, go ahead n HOLD both of em n take dat 5 yd lick for the 5-6 seconds off the clock! Well worth it. Next play, 3 man rush, tight man coverage on both***
n everybody else in zone 15-25 yds downfield. Clock should probably run out by then.

***Iā€™m so old, when God said, ā€œLet there be lightā€, I was the one who flipped the switch! šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚

So safe to say, Ive watched LOTSA football in my timeā€¦..

And Tyreek Hill is the fastest football player Iā€™ve EVER seen!!! šŸ‘šŸ¾šŸ‘šŸ¾šŸ‘šŸ¾

No coach will be fired. And I get that the Buffalo fedense was exhausted. But the coaching staff performed poorly in the last 13 seconds and may have cost the Bills a real chance at a Super Bowl win. And rushing four against a quarterback you could not contain all day makes little sense with 13 seconds.

One day a team will rush no one, have two defenders spying on the quarterback and drop back nine.

Even if they had squib-kicked it, who's to say a Chiefs ST defender doesn't catch it on his own 40, kneel it and all Mahomes has to do is complete one 20-25 passing play to Hill or Kelce, call a quick timeout to allow Butker to come in and kick a longer(but still makeable FG) that ties it and sends it to OT, anyway.
While that's certainly a possibility, I would think the odds are longer in your scenario than giving Mahomes 2 plays to get into FG range.

Last edited:
Me too. Then to sit there and watch the Bills' D give the Chiefs' two best receivers all that open space was just mind-numbing. I would have fired Frazier on the spot.

On the question of a squib kick though, I don't think that would have helped either. Couldn't they have just called a fair catch or take a knee? I've seen that done before.
They can, but would get the ball where he took a knee, which would have been another 10-15 yards further back. That would have made it so they need two 25 yard plays in less than :13 seconds. Doable, but much less likely.

Didn't Buffalo use timeouts on defense after they saw the Chiefs alignment? And STILL didn't defend the field properly.

And to play devil's advocate on the squib or short kick off, there is still the possibility of a return for TD. A long shot, I know, but if that had happened we'd be on here posting that they should have kicked it into the endzone and not risk a return, because there's no way they can go down the field in 13 seconds. šŸ˜

Last edited:
No coach will be fired. And I get that the Buffalo fedense was exhausted. But the coaching staff performed poorly in the last 13 seconds and may have cost the Bills a real chance at a Super Bowl win. And rushing four against a quarterback you could not contain all day makes little sense with 13 seconds.

One day a team will rush no one, have two defenders spying on the quarterback and drop back nine.
Just think of all the alignments you could use if you had 11 dudes to stop passes in these late game situations. Instead of wasting those three guys trying to get a QB, drop them back into a mid to short zone. If Mahomes takes off then okay, you have enough speed on the field to limit a huge run. More than likely though Mahomes is going to waste a lot of time scanning the field looking for a throw that shouldn't be there against 11 guys.

At some point math has to enter into into it. With 11 guys in coverage you can do a lot to contain 5 eligible receivers. Double Kelce and Hill and boom, you still have 7 other defenders to account for the other three receivers.

This year could have been Allens best chance at getting a SuperBowl title. Unlike Mahomes and Burrow, Allen has aging WRs. Mahomes is going nowhere, Burrow and Herbert are only going to get better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom