Bills V Titans (1 Viewer)

Hmm, have to disagree. They already stuffed them once on that call. Should have gone for OT but if dead set on trying for the win then would have been a good time to fake that and pull back out for a pass to TE sneaking into end zone.
Good point. With the formation It almost looked like they were trying to lull the defense into thinking it was going to be a hard count attempt - which I suppose makes sense: offsides is a dead ball first down and if it’s a delay, you kick the FG for OT. Allen went from shotgun to center and immediately took a rushed snap. The execution was very poor.

But I still believe that in a hostile environment with Henry in full 4th quarter/OT form - you do what you can to end it without OT. It failed unfortunately.

Soooooooo i know I'm getting ahead of myself but how do you see the Saints against both of these teams that they will have to play in later weeks 9 against Tennessee and week 11 against Buffalo?

A fully healthy Saints team matches up extremely well with Tennessee. They'd be able to slow the run and we've already seen what happens to Wholio when Lattimore is on him. The formula for the Titans has always been "don't lose to Derrick Henry". Yes that is an extremely tall order, but we've seen it two years in a row now in the playoffs: a team slows down Henry and forces Tannehill to carry the offense, and he has yet to do so.

The Bills... well let's hope we have a fully healthy defensive line for that one.

Payton pulls this kind of move and this website would crash
Thats because most of the criticism he would undoubtedly be on the recieving end of such a braindead (and very controversial) late-game last-second 4th and goal 4th quarter decision to try and QB sneak for a 1st down with a solid, potent passing Pro-Bowl QB but isn't the best at sneaking in on 3rd or 4th and goals against very stout, big, burly, 325-pound DTs all too willing to eat him, much less then stop him on such short downs, instead of kicking an easy game-tying FG to make it, 34-34, and sent it into OT. I think most Saints fans commenting on this game thread on SR and on similar ones tonight know why McDermott decided to go for it on 4th down and goal instead of a game-tying FG was because he didnt think his defense could face off against a indominable, next-to-impossible bruiser in Derrick Henry if Titans won the OT coin toss, receive the ball and then drive Henry all the way down the field in maybe 5-6 minutes, broken up briefly by a few short 3rd and short passing conversions to A.J. Brown or maybe Julio, Buffalo's run defense was unable.to really stop Henry bashing their D-line and secondary like Marshawn Lynch's angry, separated-at-birth distant cousin.

Does that analogy or narrative description or indictment kind of nicely sum up how to effectively explain this abysmal ending to what had been a very entertaining, exciting, follow MNF game to last week's Wire Indy/Baltimore thriller game. I include the word "indictment" because unlike great potential HOF-worthy or future NFL HC's like Payton, Tomlin, or Reid, Sean McDermott makes rash, or sometimes in contrast, calculated strategically dumb crucial in-game decisions occasionally during big games and his inability or lack of real, sincere trust in his defense, particularly his run defense's ability to stop or perhaps contain Derrick Henry maybe God forbid one time and that they'd come through for him and surprise him, once, maybe.

Very good, if not great HC's, can't or don't take unnecessary chances because they doesn't always trust or believe certain players or units on their teams can come through in dire, playoff game situations where smart, concise decisions are needed to help their teams make progress and win games, that take good teams to the next SB-CALIBER level. Right now, Buffalo is a very young, good, talented team that due to NE's decline because of Brady's departure, leaving or trades of talented supporting players via FA, trades for bags of chips(Gilmore trade), or in Julian Edelman's case, retirement, and a gradual, rebuilding movement is underway so Bills will probably own and dominate the AFC East for the next couple of seasons, so there's time to systematically develop more talent to complement the great roster they already have.

Looks like Allen has a tendency to pull outside his guard on those sneaks. He’s a big man,,just stay behind your center and push that nose guard back.
Brees, a much smaller person, have never been stopped on short yardage. At least to my knowledge. Teams have seen it many time and see how he did it by leaping high on top and not one team was able to stop it. Even he did a spin against Atlanta one year and scored. Weird Allen can't do that with half a yard.

Thats because most of the criticism he would undoubtedly be on the recieving end of such a braindead (and very controversial) late-game last-second 4th and goal 4th quarter decision to try and QB sneak for a 1st down with a solid, potent passing Pro-Bowl QB but isn't the best at sneaking in on 3rd or 4th and goals against very stout, big, burly, 325-pound DTs all too willing to eat him, much less then stop him on such short downs, instead of kicking an easy game-tying FG to make it, 34-34, and sent it into OT. I think most Saints fans commenting on this game thread on SR and on similar ones tonight know why McDermott decided to go for it on 4th down and goal instead of a game-tying FG was because he didnt think his defense could face off against a indominable, next-to-impossible bruiser in Derrick Henry if Titans won the OT coin toss, receive the ball and then drive Henry all the way down the field in maybe 5-6 minutes, broken up briefly by a few short 3rd and short passing conversions to A.J. Brown or maybe Julio, Buffalo's run defense was unable.to really stop Henry bashing their D-line and secondary like Marshawn Lynch's angry, separated-at-birth distant cousin.

Does that analogy or narrative description or indictment kind of nicely sum up how to effectively explain this abysmal ending to what had been a very entertaining, exciting, follow MNF game to last week's Wire Indy/Baltimore thriller game. I include the word "indictment" because unlike great potential HOF-worthy or future NFL HC's like Payton, Tomlin, or Reid, Sean McDermott makes rash, or sometimes in contrast, calculated strategically dumb crucial in-game decisions occasionally during big games and his inability or lack of real, sincere trust in his defense, particularly his run defense's ability to stop or perhaps contain Derrick Henry maybe God forbid one time and that they'd come through for him and surprise him, once, maybe.

Very good, if not great HC's, can't or don't take unnecessary chances because they doesn't always trust or believe certain players or units on their teams can come through in dire, playoff game situations where smart, concise decisions are needed to help their teams make progress and win games, that take good teams to the next SB-CALIBER level. Right now, Buffalo is a very young, good, talented team that due to NE's decline because of Brady's departure, leaving or trades of talented supporting players via FA, trades for bags of chips(Gilmore trade), or in Julian Edelman's case, retirement, and a gradual, rebuilding movement is underway so Bills will probably own and dominate the AFC East for the next couple of seasons, so there's time to systematically develop more talent to complement the great roster they already have.
so basically you said all that to say McDermott trusted his offense to get a few inches as opposed to putting a tired beaten defense out there to stop Henry, which is actually the smart thing here it just didnt work out. He made the right decision.

Good point. With the formation It almost looked like they were trying to lull the defense into thinking it was going to be a hard count attempt - which I suppose makes sense: offsides is a dead ball first down and if it’s a delay, you kick the FG for OT. Allen went from shotgun to center and immediately took a rushed snap. The execution was very poor.

But I still believe that in a hostile environment with Henry in full 4th quarter/OT form - you do what you can to end it without OT. It failed unfortunately.
Head Coach McDermott said it perfectly he trusted his offensive starters and Josh Allen to get the win. He said he would do it 10 times out of 10.

He made the right call. It was a grueling road game. Try to win it rather than fatigue your team more from tying it. If the FG attempt turned out to be no good that would have been a devastating outcome.

Bills know they are going to win thier division. They were trying to play for another week when going all or nothing at the end of the game.

Last edited:
Head Coach McDermott said it perfectly he trusted his offensive starters and Josh Allen to get the win. He said he would do it 10 times out of 10.

He made the right call. It was a grueling road game. Try to win it rather than fatigue your team more from tying it. If the FG attempt turned out to be no good that would have been a devastating outcome.

Bills know they are going to win thier division. They were trying to play for another week when going all or nothing at the end of the game.
You do realize he was essentially calling out his own defense, which has also been pretty tough, stingy unit the past few seasons and filled with a few Pro Bowlers that by going for it late it in the game instead of tying it and maybe having his defense surprise him for once, he shows, "I can't and don't trust you 100% right now at this moment that if we go to OT, you'll be able to complement effectively stop Henry and force a punt so maybe we win the game in a potential TD and FG later on." That can't be a strong, motivating sign of confidence or reassurance if I'm a Buffalo Bills D-linemen, Terrell Edmunds, Micah Hyde, or White in the secondary reading these comments in their overall significance in the specific context of critical late-game win-loss moments.

Why do I have this nagging subconscious feeling that more than experienced NFL HC like Mike Tomlin, even Andy Reid with his still-explosive, Chiefs offense might have done things differently and been more cautious if faced with extremely-similar late-game situations like last night's and most of us know Reid's playcalling history in Philly and now with KC that he's a pass-happy, HC who wouldn't shy away from taking chances?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom