Billy Kilmer was the running quarterback before RGIII, Kaepernick or Wilson (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
For the old-timers around here (which includes me), I thought this was an interesting read:

Before there was an RGIII, a Russell Wilson or a Colin Kaepernick, there was Billy Kilmer — a dynamic runner-passer who could give defensive coordinators fits.

Kilmer, who played in the NFL for 16 seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints and Washington Redskins, was a single-wing tailback coming out of UCLA in 1961.

“We ran, we threw, we kicked,” said Kilmer, 73, one of the many former sports stars participating in this weekend’s Mike Ditka/Jim Hart Celebrity Golf Invitational at the Golf Club of the Everglades. Proceeds from the event benefit the Foundation for the Immokalee Child Care Center.

“As a single-wing tailback, we did all that,” Kilmer continued. “Then I was drafted by San Francisco and we used Red Hickey’s shotgun, which isn’t the shotgun formation we see today, but is very similar to what the Kaepernicks and Wilsons, and RGIII is running today.

Rest of Article

There is not really anything "new" in football. Only so many things you can do with the football. The only thing new is the size and speed of the players doing it.

I'm old enough to remember Kilmer. He was a blue collar, tough as nails dude.

I was still glad when we got Archie to replace him though.

Good find by the way.

I loved Kilmer's fire -- old Furnace Face. But man he threw a lot of wobbly balls!!!

lol.. Kilmer's running days were long gone when he played for us.

The first real running QB I remember was Tarkenton.. that dude gave everyone fits.

What I remember most about Kilmer was the "We want Hargett" chant. Then Billy took the 'Skins to the Superbowl, led by the Over The Hill Gang.

lol.. Kilmer's running days were long gone when he played for us.

So were his passing days. An old Kilmer joke:

Most of his passes were called "option" passes, because the ball came to the WR looking like a kickoff, so the receiver had the "option" of catching it on either end! :hihi:

What I remember most about Kilmer was the "We want Hargett" chant. Then Billy took the 'Skins to the Superbowl, led by the Over The Hill Gang.

Ha! That's funny to me because I remember in the first season, fans chanting "We want Kilmer" because Gary Cuozzo was so bad!

With the Saints though it was more of self preservation when he ran.

Kilmer was in an automobile accident and seriously injured his leg. His doctors told him he might never play football again. A lot of people think they were right. (Old joke)

I loved Kilmer's fire -- old Furnace Face. But man he threw a lot of wobbly balls!!!

In a bar room brawl, of which Kilmer was in all the time in the French Quarter, you definitely wanted Kilmer at your side.

I am not exaggerating about the following. Kilmer had the worst QB fundamentals and running skills I'm ever seen. He literally threw multiple end-over-end passes per game. VY's shot-put throwing motion coming out of college looked like Manning compared to Kilmer's feeble attempts. Billly had no arm strength, terrible direction, couldn't spell spiral and couldn't read a blitz to safe his life - nor did he care.

He had no athletic running skills and was never in shape. When not on the field or asleep, 90% chance he was around Bourbon St so he had a beer gut, literally. He was small with short legs. But to give Billy credit, he ran with the meanness of Chris Ivory. His teammates loved him and followed him to hell and back, along with numerous Bourbon street brawls.

It frightens me to think he may have been the best QB the Saints had in their history until Manning. If AB had Billy's toughness and leadership, we may have been in the SB a decade earlier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom