Bioshock Infinite (1 Viewer)

I loved the first Bioshock. One of my favorites.

The second was not made by the same developer(I believe Ken Levine) and it showed.

The 2nd Bioshock was terrible and it was obvious whoever was the developer was just attempting to copy the design and direction of the first one without having any ability to be artistic themselves and come up with any ideas- or have any ability to execute them properly.

Thankfully Ken Levine is back for this one so I'm expecting a great game.

it looks interesting....the skyhooks could be a lot of fun or a complete disaster

i'd rent it

My question is after a year ago of seeing this why is there nothing new on this? What is the hold up?

Well they're keeping details to a minimum(which is a good thing). So many big titles give so much away during the promotional period, there's no surprise when you actually buy the game. Most companies do this to build anticipation and buzz, but since infinite already has those things, they haven't had the need to divulge any unnecessary spoilers.

To those worried about understanding this, the sequels, etc:

This game has nothing to do with the other two outside of name and general theme. The first one took place in an Objectivist, Ayn Rand wetdream (PUNS!) called Rapture, during the 1960's,

This one is the opposite. A hyper jingoistic, capitalistic flying city called Columbia. And it takes place in 1912. The main character is a former Pinkerton.

Ken Levine (creator of BioShock) has said that he regards it more as a series of ideas and themes instead of interlinking plot and characters. As such, you need to know nothing of the first one to play this one.

And as for BioShock 2 being a steaming pile, it was a cash-in sequel. Levine had nothing to do with it, as he was doing preproduction on Bioshock Infinite during that time. This is the "true" inheritor to the original, with the guys who did the first game working on it.

but would playing the first one help in understanding why they have powers (or whatever it is they have)?

I think even the source of the powers is different in this one. In the first one it was via plasmids. Basically consumable generic augments that allowed temporary powers like telekinesis or the ability to generate fire. They were designed by the superscientists living in Rapture.

In this one, they're called vigors and tonics (to go along with the 1912 setting). Not sure if how they've been created has been revealed yet, though.

but would playing the first one help in understanding why they have powers (or whatever it is they have)?

It would give you a sense of style of the creator and some of the mechanics that he uses (that he may or may not use in the new game).

Regardless, the first Bioshock is a pretty good play-through. It's one of the few games I've finished in the last several years.

it's just a FPS with clown pants on

great is not a word that comes to my mind

If you're going to play an FPS, better to play one with atmosphere and actual ideas than "Frat boy's idea of hardcore spacce marine fights generic aliens" or "There's one guy in the military who gets all the cool jobs". The game is basically a well argued indictment of Objectivism from beginning to end. You're not going to get that in Halo or Call of Duty or Gears of War. I don't think anyone involved with any of those games even knows what the word philosophy means.

If you're going to play an FPS, better to play one with atmosphere and actual ideas than "Frat boy's idea of hardcore spacce marine fights generic aliens" or "There's one guy in the military who gets all the cool jobs". The game is basically a well argued indictment of Objectivism from beginning to end. You're not going to get that in Halo or Call of Duty or Gears of War. I don't think anyone involved with any of those games even knows what the word philosophy means.

you could have just said "i like cooler games than you" :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom