Bitcoin and Crypto Talk (Merged)(includes NFT) (2 Viewers)

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/25/nasdaq-is-open-to-becoming-cryptocurrency-exchange-ceo-says.html

"Certainly Nasdaq would consider becoming a crypto exchange over time," Nasdaq CEO Adena Friedman told CNBC's Squawk Box Wednesday. "If we do look at it and say 'it's time, people are ready for a more regulated market,' for something that provides a fair experience for investors."

A key roadblock for the Nasdaq and other institutional investors is regulation, which Friedman said needs to be ironed out before the company would add an exchange. But she was bullish on the future of digital assets.

"I believe that digital currencies will continue to persist it's just a matter of how long it will take for that space to mature," Friedman said. "Once you look at it and say, 'do we want to provide a regulated market for this?' Certainly Nasdaq would consider it."

Consensus 2018 (pretty much the biggest blockchain conference) is taking place in NYC next week, should see some big announcements.

Two coins I own (VeChain + Fusion) are major sponsors next to huge tech companies like IBM and Microsoft. Pretty excited.

This is sort of funny. Analysts predicts bitcoin won't survive 100 years. I'm not even sure the human race is going to survive 100 years.

Nobel Prize-winning economist Robert Shiller is drawing parallels between the world's leading cryptocurrency and the dinosaurs.

According to the Yale professor, bitcoin could go extinct within the next 100 years.

"Bitcoin won't look anything like it is today. It will have a different name, if it exists," Shiller said Tuesday on CNBC's "Trading Nation." "There will have been many hard forks changing it and changing it. And, it'll be a matter of dispute whether it exists or not."

Even though bitcoin's potential doomsday may feel ages away, it doesn't mean the emerging asset won't continue to struggle.

Bitcoin could be extinct by 2118: Yale's Robert Shiller

Anyone riding the BTC train (or other crypto)? I've been thinking about getting into it, but think I should get a cold storage wallet first... any recommendations?

Can anyone explain to me how Bitcoin is able to gain $6000 in just 24 hours? How is this a viable currency? It was $40,000 for a bit... I don't understand how it is gaining so fast with relatively little purpose at the moment.

Can anyone explain to me how Bitcoin is able to gain $6000 in just 24 hours? How is this a viable currency? It was $40,000 for a bit... I don't understand how it is gaining so fast with relatively little purpose at the moment.

It's a theoretical hold of value with a clearly defined and limited supply. The recent jumps in value are due to institutional investments.

Supply and demand. There’s not a lot of it and bigger institutions are starting to accept it (cryptocurrency) as more mainstream.

Obvious answer is it's speculation. Drivers for it's value going up is uncertainty in the US, potential inflation, things like that.

It's a market I don't understand very well, so I stay away from it. I think we'll see a fair number of swings as people figure out how to appropriately price it.

A guy I used to work with at a customer was a huge advocate for bitcoin about 8 years ago. I seen him working at a gas station a few weeks ago. I guess he sold it all before it took off :oops:

A guy I used to work with at a customer was a huge advocate for bitcoin about 8 years ago. I seen him working at a gas station a few weeks ago. I guess he sold it all before it took off :oops:

I remember when the first paper came out and there was information on how to mine it yourself, and I went through the trouble of figuring out how to mine it, but then never actually did any of the mining b/c I didn't really understand why anyone would ever use it. :rolleyes:

I have a friend who claims that he did mine about 50 bitcoins but lost the wallet for it.

I bought an extremely partial share of a Bitcoin just to mess around.

If it keeps going nuts I might play for real.

Speculation and FOMO. Not for the feint of heart but if you don't mind the opportunity that comes along with extreme volatility it's a great thing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom