Black bear in the neighborhood. (1 Viewer)

krushing

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Over the last week, the neighbors and even motorist's passing by have spotted a big black bear by my house. (Actually one spotting was in my yard). Anyone know how dangerous these critters really are? I'm mainly worried about my dogs. The wife and I always carry a pistol and are very skilled with them so I think we can handle just about anything. How dangerous are these things when they hang around neighborhoods. I think the critter tore down my bird feeder. Something took the whole bib limb down. Anyone have any experience with these critters?

Louisiana Black Bears are indigenous to Southern Mississippi. They are also on the Federal Endangered Species list.

They are among the smallest of the bear species, but very strong for their size. They, like all bears, are omnivores. And a wild animal. You might want to contact the Wildlife and Fisheries Department for your state to relocate the bear.

Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks

I'm fine with him as Long as he leaves my dogs alone. Hopefully their barking will send the critter on his way. A warning was put out to the school a few miles north. Not sure what that was about.

I'd contact the DNR. Your dogs may not be safe, and if you shoot it you could end up on some trouble, especially since you have had prior notice it was in the area and it is endangered.

Also, you may insult the bear by calling him a critter, which would normally be associated with small nondescript animals. You never know who reads SR.com. It's a small world and you don't want trouble with a bunch of e-thug bear posse.

They aren't very dangerous. Just take away all food sources - which definitely includes bird feeders -and scare them off with loud noises if you see them.

What does his color have to do with anything? Why do you feel the need to even bring that up?

I'd contact the DNR. Your dogs may not be safe, and if you shoot it you could end up on some trouble, especially since you have had prior notice it was in the area and it is endangered.

You could end up in a lot of trouble if you kill the bear.
If you really don't wanna call Wildlife get some of that bear pepper spray, it works well on account bears have 10X the nose humans do

You could end up in a lot of trouble if you kill the bear.
If you really don't wanna call Wildlife get some of that bear pepper spray, it works well on account bears have 10X the nose humans do

That will work, but if you contact the DNR they will handle it for you in a safe and humane way. I'm not sure how strong bear pepper spray is, but when I was in the gas chamber in the military it wasn't much fun.

Krushing, where are you located? I had a friend say they spotted it a couple days ago in their backyard on Village Cir. I'm a little north of that, just south of Old Woolmarket.

I'm fine with him as Long as he leaves my dogs alone. Hopefully their barking will send the critter on his way. A warning was put out to the school a few miles north. Not sure what that was about.

It doesn't seem to me that black bears attack dogs very often - they seem to be more into food and garbage. I'm talking about of my *** based on a general sense of it, I don't have any real knowledge of it. But here's what the New Hampshire state fish and game office says about black bears:

Will a bear attack my dog?
Bears will not intentionally attack dogs, but they can sometimes be startled or surprised by a dog if they are sneaking around a house looking for birdfeeders or following the smell of pet food. Bear will often run and tree when disturbed by dogs, but a parting swat can't be ruled out in close quarters. An exception to this would be a large male bear or sow with cubs, which may attempt to fight rather than run away if cornered. Keep your dog on a leash when walking your dog in areas of known bear activity. A mother bear may chase an unleashed dog in the protection of her cubs. The dog will probably run back to you for protection.

Frequently asked bear questions

you'd be crazy not to either, feed it and keep it as a pet or shoot it and mount in on your wall lol. Actually I have been looking for one in the wild my whole life... I am jealous. See if yah can get some pics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom