Black Coaches in the NFL (Mod Edit: Moved to EE due to widening discussion) (1 Viewer)

The point is, MV2 said that we all know how we got here, but that's not true and it's not really fair either. I am an example of that. You may look at me as a successful white man who makes a good living & your assumption would probably be that the color of my skin and that of my ancestors likely played a part in my success. But what about my history tells you that I benefitted at all from slavery or Jim Crow?

So, I ask again, what is the solution we're discussing here? If football teams, corporations, government, successful white people in general are basically new forms or beneficiaries of the plantation system where white people continue to build their wealth and success on the backs of the black people, how do you remedy that short of indiscriminate removal of wealth and positions of power and ownership from white people and give it to black people? In the situation of black NFL ownership, what is the solution? Do you expand the NFL and only allow black ownership of the new teams? Do you force current white owners to sell their teams to black owners? What if no black owner is willing or able to pay the cost of franchise ownership, Should an exception be made?
But that’s sort of the inverse of saying ‘bc Obama was president, we’re past racial discrimination’
A few anecdotal instances proves nothing about systemic inequity

The system is still very much in place, the system needs to be fixed if not dismantled

The point is, MV2 said that we all know how we got here, but that's not true and it's not really fair either. I am an example of that. You may look at me as a successful white man who makes a good living & your assumption would probably be that the color of my skin and that of my ancestors likely played a part in my success. But what about my history tells you that I benefitted at all from slavery or Jim Crow?
Serious point: I don't know your personal history, but I am highly confident that you did not personally benefit from slavery or the Jim Crow laws that followed.

I am also going to assume that you are a reasonably hard worker and probably a little more honest than most, and that your advancement in life doesn't rely on, say, having been somebody's nephew.

What people are saying is that the way our culture works right now, even with people trying generally to be a lot more fair than they were 50, 30, 10 years ago, there are additional factors in the way that minority folks have to overcome, such as

the mirror-mirror problem -- without even realizing it, people are more comfortable hiring and promoting folks that look and sound like them and have similar cultural habits, even if the merit on paper is equal; doesn't sound like a problem until you remember that because this has been going on for a while, there is a far disproportionate number of white people with more money and power because of issues like this. And the cycle begins again.

Again, that's the "fault" of nobody in this discussion, but we should recognize it.

the generational wealthy issue -- again, for reasons that are none of our faults, even into the 70s, mortgage lenders engaged in "red-lining" where they decided that poor black areas weren't worth giving mortgages too, because housing prices wouldn't sustain because those weren't neighborhoods that people move back to. Now, because of the tax code, home ownership is a great way to slowly build wealth and opportunity over time, and after 3-4 generations, there's been a source of wealth generation that has zero to do with talent and hard work and a lot to do with circumstance. And the cycle begins again.

Again, this the "fault" of nobody in this discussion, but we should recognize it.

the access problem -- being wealthier (and this is just more likely to be white people) means you probably have more money, and your family in the past had more money, that allowed you to get in to superior schools, which leads to superior networking and exposure to larger and more lucrative future opportunities, between your classmates and the "Nice Private University Name" on top of your diploma. Which means you are far more likely to get into one of the higher "launching points" into life in your early 20s, as opposed to a student elsewhere who might have worked just as hard with just as much brains.

Now, we all know about the "evils" of affirmative action, but do you know who benefits from it even more? Children of legacies (schools favor children of alums) and children of big donors. That's the REAL affirmative action -- all you have to as a legacy or donor child is to have been sufficiently successful in HS so that the college is not embarassed to let you in. And the cycle begins again.

Again, this the "fault" of nobody in this discussion, but we should recognize it.

There are other issues, but this is already one of the longer walls of text in SR history.

Does this mean the deck is rigged in favor of white people? Well, yeah, a little, especially when you put all these factors together and run them through the whole wash cycle every generation.

And that's what people mean by "white privilege." Doesn't mean ANYBODY handed you ANYTHING. We all work hard, and we're all pretty honest. It just means that on balance, minorities have more obstacles to hurdle to get ahead with the same effort and talent.

And it's not really anybody's fault, but it is there, and if we are a just and fair people, we should work harder to recognize it in order to stay true to our American dream.

As always, YMMV. Peace.

Serious point: I don't know your personal history, but I am highly confident that you did not personally benefit from slavery or the Jim Crow laws that followed.

I did, even though I grew up dirt poor in a rural area.

Every police officer in my parish was white. Half of them were related to me. Despite about 40% of the people in my parish being black. The reason that was the case absolutely had to do with slavery and the Jim Crow era.

I never had to worry about paying a speeding ticket. Once when i was 17 i got pulled over, and was definitely too drunk to be driving. The officer saw my name, apologized for pulling me over, and then followed me home to make sure i was safe. I doubt a random black kid would had the same outcome.

This is one of thousands of examples of where i have benefitted from being a white kid in the south overrun by systemic racism.

Every police officer in my parish was white. Half of them were related to me. Despite about 40% of the people in my parish being black. The reason that was the case absolutely had to do with slavery and the Jim Crow era.

I never had to worry about paying a speeding ticket. Once when i was 17 i got pulled over, and was definitely too drunk to be driving. The officer saw my name, apologized for pulling me over, and then followed me home to make sure i was safe. I doubt a random black kid would had the same outcome.

This is one of thousands of examples of where i have benefitted from being a white kid in the south overrun by systemic racism.
I'm just happy that it looks like somebody might have gotten through my whole post without falling asleep.

Although I did notice you only quoted the first line. :hihi:

There are other issues, but this is already one of the longer walls of text in SR history.
But well worth it.

If folks can just think about the issues you've raised for a bit without reacting defensively, and recognize that those facts are NOT an indictment of anyone personally or denigration of the hard work that anyone has put in to get what they have, then just maybe we can start making some progress to change things for the better.

Indeed. And SaintJ's post didn't even mention all of the negative health issues that are exacerbated by the additional base level of lifetime stress that often accompanies driving (or walking, for that matter) while black. Or the poorer diets, poorer health care availability and poorer health care outcomes associated with being black.

Growing up in the Parish in the '60s, it was common (and, sadly, accepted) knowledge that after a certain time of night, a black man walking around was going to get stopped and questioned by the sheriff's deputies just for being black. And, in quite a number of neighborhoods there, the time of day didn't even matter.

These things are all real and have tangible effects on the track of people's lives, even if you can't trace the base cause back as clearly as 1+1=2.

I don't feel personally guilty in the slightest, but it doesn't make it any less true that I had more likely opportunity to advance than the average black man. Nor does it negate the financial struggles and social discrimination that any of us pasty white folks have faced or our hard work to get ahead. But it's still real.

Except I have already shown you that 28% of the teams are owned by minorities or women. I will say this though if this is a form of slavery sign me on for whatever position Chase Daniels plays.
Except that the original point of the thread is "Black coaches in the NFL" which renders minorities and women irrelevant for the purpose of this thread.

Coaches are 90% white

Venn diagram overlap to some of this discussion

Emphasis on ‘it hurst everybody INCLUDING the racists’
The very epitome of cutting off your nose to spite your face

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom