Black Friday thread (1 Viewer)

6ft throw would be about 46" with this projector if you have a white wall. Otherwise, a floor mounted screen would take up too much space, and look funny with that small picture. It's nice to have the option of going from 46" to say 110" in your backyard for Saints games and barbecues, etc.

Here's something I'm confused about. We used to have Black Friday and Cyber Monday. If you were going to make an online purchase, you waited until today.

But we noticed this year that many online retailers (especially online storefronts for brick and mortar stores like Home Depot, for example) had "Black Friday" sales that ran the whole weekend, expiring at midnight last night. Then, today, it's all about Cyber Monday.

On Home Depot, it appears that the discounts are the same. But I think it makes it hard to know what to do. Should you buy on the Black Friday sale before it expires, even if it's an online purchase? What if some retailers use the Black Friday sale data to decide which items to discount even further on Cyber Monday to move the inventory?

It seems like we're in a bit of a transition point here and maybe it will all just be Black Friday deals that run through the end of Monday or until inventory is gone? I don't know.

I just sat down in front of my new TV, from about 9 feet away it's right on the verge of being overwhelming at 55 inches. I read a piece that said optimal size for 9 feet away is 70 inches but I can't even imagine that.

Crazy talk.

I dunno. I am only about 6 ft from the TV... My living room is not that big.

40" is fine for that. However consider 1080p HD instead of 4k UHD. 4K resolution is not a huge deal on a 40" screen IMO. 4K is really there to give a great picture to much larger screens (60" or above) You may save a lot more money if you go 1080p. Also, as mentioned before, there is very little 4k content available anyways.

Here's something I'm confused about. We used to have Black Friday and Cyber Monday. If you were going to make an online purchase, you waited until today.

But we noticed this year that many online retailers (especially online storefronts for brick and mortar stores like Home Depot, for example) had "Black Friday" sales that ran the whole weekend, expiring at midnight last night. Then, today, it's all about Cyber Monday.

On Home Depot, it appears that the discounts are the same. But I think it makes it hard to know what to do. Should you buy on the Black Friday sale before it expires, even if it's an online purchase? What if some retailers use the Black Friday sale data to decide which items to discount even further on Cyber Monday to move the inventory?

It seems like we're in a bit of a transition point here and maybe it will all just be Black Friday deals that run through the end of Monday or until inventory is gone? I don't know.

I think last year, we saw the Unified Theory of Creep in action (things creeping earlier and earlier). I saw deals on Amazon, Walmart, and BestBuy show up on Wednesday of last year, before Thanksgiving/Black Friday that we equal to, or in rare cases, better than, the black Friday deal. I got a doll house for the girl (which she now outgrew) for $10 less on amazon on Wednesday night last year, than the Black Friday Walmart deal.

This year, Amazon started "black Friday week", but the reality was that it was just their usual "deal of the day", but maybe for some slightly better stuff. Their actual Thanksgiving/Black Friday deals were pretty sweet, as was Amazon, Macy's, etc.

Using Amazon as a guide, most of the Black Friday deals expired, and now it's different things on Sale today. I thought it would be more of the digital media, but most of that was on sale all weekend. However, it looks like they added Kindle e-books to the list.

Also, there's this sweet ride, which makes me laugh more than it should.

https://www.amazon.com/Segway-Balan..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=WXSMB1XRYF22SJ5ZS6HN

Segway One S1 | One Wheel Self Balancing Personal Transporter with Mobile App Control (B01M1SFFNE) | Amazon price tracker / tracking, Amazon price history charts, Amazon price watches, Amazon price drop alerts | camelcamelcamel.com price compare, this is $100 cheaper than normal.

Me personally, I tend to watch things for a while, so when you see a good deal, you might as well just get it. Like when I see recent or new movies going for $7-10, I know it won't get cheaper. i.e. the New Star Trek movie on Amazon digital is $9.99. It's been that way since Friday. It won't get cheaper than that any time soon. If you bought it Friday, or buy it Today (if at all), you're not running the risk of missing the "lowest price".

40" is fine for that. However consider 1080p HD instead of 4k UHD. 4K resolution is not a huge deal on a 40" screen IMO. 4K is really there to give a great picture to much larger screens (60" or above) You may save a lot more money if you go 1080p. Also, as mentioned before, there is very little 4k content available anyways.

Completely agree, but if the price is right, it's not a bad decision. Also, you're really just paying for the HDR (high dynamic range), which is much better contrast ratios. You can't really see the difference between 4k and 1080p on a small screen unless you're inches away. However, you will see the contrast differences, on the average. But just shopping for the best rated TV's at a good price will do almost as good.

That being said, I've been out of the 'good TV' market for 6 years now, when I bought my Plasma. Which I still love.

all this because I want a Smart TV. It is my understanding that with a smart TV it will log on to my wireless network and I will be able to watch you tube. is this correct?

I love my Sony Bravia 40" I have had for 8 years... But want the wireless aspect.

That being said, I've been out of the 'good TV' market for 6 years now, when I bought my Plasma. Which I still love.

Same here. I've got a 55in Panasonic. The 'smart' part of the TV has aged a bit. But I've got it hooked to my PC and PS4 anyway. The image is still great.

all this because I want a Smart TV. It is my understanding that with a smart TV it will log on to my wireless network and I will be able to watch you tube. is this correct?

I love my Sony Bravia 40" I have had for 8 years... But want the wireless aspect.

Yes, a smart TV will be able to log into your wifi and you can get youtube, etc on there.

However, you could also just buy an Amazon Fire TV stick for $30 and stream Amazon videos, Youtube, Netflix, etc.. all you need is an open HDMI port and have it somewhat close to your wifi router (my son has one at the opposite end of the house from the wifi, and he only has occasional connection issues)

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire...qid=1480350824&sr=8-2&keywords=kindle+fire+tv

So, if you like your TV, don't want it bigger, and just want wireless, that's the easiest route.. or a Roku.

Same here. I've got a 55in Panasonic. The 'smart' part of the TV has aged a bit. But I've got it hooked to my PC and PS4 anyway. The image is still great.

Yes, my TV is wired internet only and is slow. So, I never use it. I have the PS4 for all that.

I have a Samsung 42" plasma that was a high-end model when I bought it (around $2000 10 years ago). The picture quality of my new LED TV simply does not measure up.

But for the wifi connectivity, the much bigger screen, blah blah blah, it's a very acceptable tradeoff and at my house at least, the wife and kids are the main TV watchers anyway.

Plus I get to keep the plasma, which goes into my man cave with all the surround sound stuff.

Does your current TV have HDMI ports? If so and you're happy with your TV, just buy an Amazon Fire Stick. They're on sale for $33 right now and it will do what you want.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom