Black Hole to be created in Lab, could destroy Earth "We are all going to die thread" (1 Viewer)

derick76

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
DISCOVER.com Science, Technology and The Future

FOXNews.com - Scientists Create Artificial Black Hole in Lab - Science News | Science Technology | Technology News

Nation or destroy the Earth? | Seattle Times Newspaper

Science is once again sticking it's head where it shouldn't, in an effort to learn about the universe some scientist on Earth could destroy the planet or even the universe with something created in a lab.

I can't beleive this has not been discussed...

An excerpt from one of the stories linked....

The world's physicists have spent 14 years and $8 billion building the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), in which the colliding protons will re-create energies and conditions last seen a trillionth of a second after the big bang. Researchers plan to sift the debris from these primordial re-creations for clues to the nature of mass and new forces and symmetries of nature.

But Walter Wagner and Luis Sancho contend that scientists at the European Center for Nuclear Research, or CERN, have played down the chances that the collider could produce, among other horrors, a tiny black hole, which, they said, could eat the Earth.

Or it could spit out something called a "strangelet" that would convert our planet to a shrunken dense dead lump of something called "strange matter."

This would happen right before the Saints win the Super Bowl.

Exactly what I thought of, I mean Geez, at least let the Saints win it first so at least the Saints fans can die happy. Is that too much to ask?

I have no idea who you are, but you're the only person in the history of the EE board who has grasped the interface between science and religion without sounding like a screeching moron.

Not likely.
From Discover.com
DISCOVER.com Science, Technology and The Future
Further, if these risks were real, they would be much more likely to happen in nature than at the LHC. Cosmic rays, traveling at far higher energies than those that will be produced at the LHC, have been bombarding Earth for billions of years and we’re still here.

Not sure where the fear is coming from.

LS

Yeah they mention something about Radiation evaporating the small black holes, but the problem with that is no one truly knows what will happen with a black hole, I just know it is something you don't want to create in a lab. The Discovery Article is from March 7th, the story from Seattle is the same one that was on the front page of today's Times Picayune, some scientist are taking this very seriously, after all if there is a small risk in destroying the Earth should the research on this go on?

from today's Times Picayune article on the subject of the Cosmic Rays that bombard the planet constantly...

What is different, physicists said, is that the fragments from cosmic rays will go shooting harmlessly through the Earth at nearly the speed of light, but anything created when the beams meet head-on in the collider will be born at rest relative to the laboratory and so will stick around and thus could create havoc.

The new worries are about black holes some think could appear at the collider.

Docof1955.JPG

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!

I read the article and was actually going to start a thread. Our technology is freaky.

I don't necessarily believe that this particular situation poses a threat (I wouldn't know), but certainly future developments might. What about nanotechnology? Out of all of these self-replicating robots they're going to create to eat our arterial plaque or clean up oil spills, it only takes one to mutate and start producing renegade nano-bots that eat everything in sight. What about the ability of Joe Six-pack to manipulate viruses? Will there be a day when it becomes as easy to create a life-threatening virus as it is to create a home-made bomb? And what about physics experiments gone wrong? It seems to me that if you cannot rule out, with absolute certainty, that you're not going to create thousands of tiny black holes which destroy earth then I'm going to be a little worried. I'm not going to lose sleep over something so remote, but it does pose an interesting and somewhat frightening possibility.

On the plus side, we could create FTL travel and gain control over matter and gravity. The Earth is doomed either way, but if there's a possibility we won't be hanging around here to see it, (Having already colonized the Western Spiral Arm) I'm all for it.

Yea and how did that creating a mini sun thing work out for doc ock. Ill pass on the premier of this black hole.:wallA:

What difference does it make? It'll all be over in less than a second. You'll just be going about your day and then *blip!* everything's gone. You won't even realize it happened. No pain, so sense of realization that "it" is happening. I say, go for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom