Blackened Flounder? (1 Viewer)

I normally do this outside of the house, way too much smoke to do inside..... and on a good day, yeah...the butter flames would not be good inside the house.

Basic steps:
1) trimmed, cleaned fillets....warmed to room temp
2) get pan, black iron skillet HOT. I use a laser thermometer and strive for +700degF depending on weather conditions that day.
3) melt butter and coat fillets
4) liberally apply K Paul's seasoning
5) put fillets onto hot pan, flip once...done.. Timing is function of pan temp and fillet thickness.

I've done sacalait, perch, catfish, redfish, specks, shrimp, mushrooms, chicken breast...veggies. Pretty much anything is fair game...

I normally do this outside of the house, way too much smoke to do inside..... and on a good day, yeah...the butter flames would not be good inside the house.

Basic steps:
1) trimmed, cleaned fillets....warmed to room temp
2) get pan, black iron skillet HOT. I use a laser thermometer and strive for +700degF depending on weather conditions that day.
3) melt butter and coat fillets
4) liberally apply K Paul's seasoning
5) put fillets onto hot pan, flip once...done.. Timing is function of pan temp and fillet thickness.

I've done sacalait, perch, catfish, redfish, specks, shrimp, mushrooms, chicken breast...veggies. Pretty much anything is fair game...

def would go outside for any blackening. One of the most convenient uses of a grill with a side burner (hopefully with a lot of ports else it might not get as hot as you’d like)

all of KPauls blackened mix recipes can be found online if you don’t have any store bought. And they are pretty spot on. He was never overly protective of any of his recipes.

def would go outside for any blackening. One of the most convenient uses of a grill with a side burner (hopefully with a lot of ports else it might not get as hot as you’d like)

all of KPauls blackened mix recipes can be found online if you don’t have any store bought. And they are pretty spot on. He was never overly protective of any of his recipes.

I use my crawfish burner for blackening and searing steaks, works beautifully.

No doubt this would be done outside after searing some steaks inside a while back. The wife grabbed the dog and went outside after the smoke alarms went off.

I have two choices. One is a Blackstone and the other is a cast iron skillet on my fish cooker. I already have KPauls blackened seasoning.

Generally I use my fish burner turned up as high as it will go. Through necessity I had to get a black iron skillet (15"?) as my black iron pot was too deep and it looked like a batch of Halloween witch's brew being made... I couldn't even see the meat. The skillet is much better.

Admittedly, part of the allure of blackening is the opportunity to create intense crackling sizzles, fire and huge plumes of smoke that waft through the neighborhood... Certainly the kids and their buds thought it was cool.

Generally I use my fish burner turned up as high as it will go. Through necessity I had to get a black iron skillet (15"?) as my black iron pot was too deep and it looked like a batch of Halloween witch's brew being made... I couldn't even see the meat. The skillet is much better.

Admittedly, part of the allure of blackening is the opportunity to create intense crackling sizzles, fire and huge plumes of smoke that waft through the neighborhood... Certainly the kids and their buds thought it was cool.

yea it’s too hard to work with the high lip of a pot. A large fajita plate is awesome as it’s easy to get under the fish. And fish is so delicate you don’t want to be coming at it on much of an angle.

I've never done it with flounder and don't think I would, unless you get a huge one, the filets are too thin and delicate IMO....

made that mistake many years ago, thinking my lil overhead exhaust could handle.

not. even.close.

Spent the next 4 hours opening every window and door only to find one of the rare WINDLESS nights. So had to put fans to create flow.

like Loose cannon- burner and cast iron skillet...i wait til white hot - 30 seconds each side. serve.

yea it’s too hard to work with the high lip of a pot. A large fajita plate is awesome as it’s easy to get under the fish. And fish is so delicate you don’t want to be coming at it on much of an angle.

I have a 1/4" piece of sheet steel I put on my BGE and leave the lid and vent wide open. It'll get 750 degrees which is more than hot enough and works fine. I've had better results using an upsdie down cast iron pan on a crawfish burner at much lower temps. 600 or so I'd bet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom