Blockbuster expands options for online customers (1 Viewer)

landshadow

All-Pro
Reaction score
Blockbuster is changing its online movie rental program to allow online customers to return DVDs to Blockbuster stores.

The new program, called Blockbuster Total Access, takes effect Wednesday, Nov. 1.

Dallas-based Blockbuster (NYSE: BBI) said it would automatically upgrade current online customers to the new plan.

As an added bonus, when online customers return movies to the stores, they will receive a coupon for a free in-store rental.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stories/2006/10/30/daily24.html

Cue blockbuster sucks, Netflix rules comments.

Ever since they started that "no late fees" garbage, there's been nothing on the shelves because no one returns the movies on time.

I'm thinking about going back to Blockbuster. I visited their site yesterday and was intrigued by their new plan. I had their free online trial for a month and their service was excellent. I had a 1 day turn around for movies and could get 6 a week.

I just switched to Netflix this month because they have a lot of movies that Blockbuster doesn't. Mainly some old ECW pay per views that I've been dying to see. The bad apart about it is that I'm lucky if I get 2 movies in a week. They are throttling me.

Their distribution center is in Baton Rouge just like Blockbuster and for some reason it takes 3 days for them to receive my movies. Then it takes another day for them to ship me one out. When I had Blockbuster, they would receive it the next day I mailed it and they would send the new video out the same day. Plus Netflix is sending me freaking movies from California and New York. Usually they send 2 from across the country and then send one from Baton Rouge. I'm fixing their butts though because I pile all the movies up and send them back in the Baton Rouge envelope.

When this month is up, I'm dumping Netflix and going back to Blockbuster. I'm sick of Netflix throttling me.

And I agree with Wisdom Tooth about there being no movies on the selves at Blockbuster. I'm lucky though because I'm able to get there Tuesday morning and pick up the New releases. I'm think I'm the only person that brings back my movies on time.

Last edited:
I kno we don't bring back movies on time. We have that plan where you pay and get 2 a day or something like that, don't know my kids use far more than I do.

I also was supposed to get two movies from Netflix today. Never got them.

As far as I'm concerned, Blockbuster has abandoned us. (Metairie) ----- I will now be going to Major Video. fwiw

I've had better service from blockbuster than netflix recently.

We just cancelled our Netflix membership. The quality of the DVD's had gotten terrible. It had gotten to the point that nearly all of the DVD's we were receiving couldn't even be viewed. We just joined Blockbuster & every DVD so far has been in "new" condition with no scratches, nicks, dirt, etc that made the Netflix DVD's unwatchable. Their list of movies available is fine for us.

Jan

I received half a roach (insect) in a recent netflix dvd. Had a lot of unplayables and received discs from Hawaii/New Hampshire/California/etc while all the Blockbuster discs arrive from BR.

I haven't been to Blockbuster or physically rented a DVD in almost 2 years. On-Demand through Cox cable's digital service is the best thing since sliced bread. With one click of a button on my remote I can "rent" a movie without ever having to go to Blockbuster. I believe the cost of the movies for On-Demand are cheaper than Blockbuster. I never have to worry about late fees and I can permanently record the movies if I wish on my DVD recorder.

I sent them a movie Monday and they still haven't gotten it. Their service is crap. I think I'm a victim of this "throttling" too.

So I should go with Blockbuster as opposed to Netflix?

So far our experience has been great. We have 6-7 movies out at a time. We generally get new releases when we drop stuff off and have them mail us older stuff and tv season DVD's.

I'm spending less than I used to on movies and getting a lot more so it's so far so good. My only complaint is sometimes with TV Seasons they will email you a later DVD before a more current one. The other day they sent us disk 3-4 of 24 Season 2 when they hadn't sent disk 2 yet. However, I had a movie to drop off so I picked up disk 2 for free when I did.

Blockbuster's new system is awesome, I get my movie in the mail, if I don't feel like watching it, I bring the mailer to the store find something I want to watch and switch them out. As soon as Blockbuster scans my mailer I get the next movie on my list. I think the Blockbuster system is awesome, you pay $19.95 get three movies at a time, you can go through over 20 movies in a month combined with instore rentals that's $1 per movie, beat that!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom