Blockbuster: Johan to the Mets (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2008-01-29-twins-mets-santana_N.htm
The New York Mets have agreed to a trade for two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, giving up four prospects to acquire the left-handed ace of the Minnesota Twins, according to two high-ranking Twins officials with knowledge of the talks and a person close to Santana.
The deal is pending the Mets and Santana reaching agreement on a six- or seven-year contract extension and that Santana passes a physical; they have been granted a 48 to-72-hour window to do so. Santana has a no-trade clause that he will waive if agreement is reached on a contract extension.

The Mets paid a high price in prospects to land Santana, agreeing to send the Twins outfielder Carlos Gomez and pitchers Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey.

Thats too bad, I was hoping the Yankmees would empty the farm for him.

In the famous words of Macho Man Randy Savage "OOOOOOOOOOHHHH YEEAAAHHHH!!!!!" Geaux M-E-T-S Mets Mets Mets.

Sucks for my Braves but the Mets still have a lot of question marks surrounding their rotation. On paper though it looks very strong.

Pedro a year older and coming off a serious injury. If you've followed Perez during his career you'd know he's anything but consistent. Was last year a fluke regarding John Maine's performance? Their 5th starter will be either Hernandez, Sosa, or Pelfrey... not exactly intimidating.

I'll go into any, ANY, series with Johan, Pedro, Maine, Perez, and Pelfrey/Hernandez/Hernandez as the 5th. OOOOOOOOHHHHhhhhh YEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! What's even better is that they got him without giving up Fernando Martinez!!!! Amazin!!!

I'll go into any, ANY, series with Johan, Pedro, Maine, Perez, and Pelfrey/Hernandez/Hernandez as the 5th. OOOOOOOOHHHHhhhhh YEEAAAAHHHH!!!!!!! What's even better is that they got him without giving up Fernando Martinez!!!! Amazin!!!

Livan is not going to the mets. They lowballed him with the offer trying to send a messege to the twins.

Several reports stated that they were close on the deal, but the Mets backed off, in anticipation of the Santana deal. Plus, Livan and El Duque want to pitch on the same staff. We'll see.

Several reports stated that they were close on the deal, but the Mets backed off, in anticipation of the Santana deal. Plus, Livan and El Duque want to pitch on the same staff. We'll see.

That was one report that other outlets published as part of the AP. The report came out of Colorado. Why would it come out of Colorado and not New York? Livan's agent leaked it to show teams he has an offer.

Am I the only one who thinks the Twins got screwed off this one? IMO the Yankees' and Red Sox' earlier offers were both better than this. They kept asking for more prospects from all three teams and it came back to bite them in the *** when the Yankees pulled Hughes from the deal and the Sox pulled Lester. They should have at least swung Fernando Martinez in a deal for the best pitcher in baseball. Sad day to be a Twins fan. Sadder year to be a Minnesota fan.

Am I the only one who thinks the Twins got screwed off this one? IMO the Yankees' and Red Sox' earlier offers were both better than this. They kept asking for more prospects from all three teams and it came back to bite them in the *** when the Yankees pulled Hughes from the deal and the Sox pulled Lester. They should have at least swung Fernando Martinez in a deal for the best pitcher in baseball. Sad day to be a Twins fan. Sadder year to be a Minnesota fan.
Met fans are laughing, Twins fans want to kill Bill Smith. Everyone thinks the Twins got hosed. Bill Smith wanted to play chicken and he blinked first.

If you've followed Perez during his career you'd know he's anything but consistent. Was last year a fluke regarding John Maine's performance? Their 5th starter will be either Hernandez, Sosa, or Pelfrey... not exactly intimidating.

I'd go with no as far as them being flukes last season. Perez is actually a solid pitcher who was on a bad team without really good coaching. Maine is a very solid up and comer. I dunno about Pedro though. I don't think he has much left. I see him as the 4th starter. As far as a 5th starter goes, I don't think there is a team in the league with a concrete, solid 5th starter.

I would've rather seen Johan go somewhere else, but IMO, the Mets now have one of the top rotations in the league. I could see Johan winning 23-25 with this Mets team barring injury, which is rare for Santana. I had him on my fantasy team last year. He had 1 or 2 stinkers, but every other game he was pretty solid with no run support most of the time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom