Blockbuster: Johan to the Mets (1 Viewer)

As a Mets fan, I love this deal because Omar totally ripped Smith off with the Twins. Smith played poker, went all in, and lost, waiting on the best prospects from the Yanks and Sawks. I love it b/c the Mets still have Fernando for the future. That kid is going to be an absolute BEAST! :D

Damn, Damn, And Double Damnet!!!!! I hate the Mets. Go BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate that Andrew had to have a bad season and is now in LA.

AP

Ummmm...........anyone know Carlos Gomez? That dude was coming on strong at the end of the year. Good glove and speed that I haven't seen since Willie McGee. He is faster than Reyes. I can't wait to see this guy on turf. I'm glad they kept Fernando.

My Braves/Mets fandom just swung heavily towards the Met bandwagon. Eh, I go about 20 times a year anyway.

Thats just great somebody else has gone to the dark side.

Where is Ted Turner(Obi Wan) when you need him.

I guess the Emperor must have took him out already.

Ummmm...........anyone know Carlos Gomez? That dude was coming on strong at the end of the year. Good glove and speed that I haven't seen since Willie McGee. He is faster than Reyes. I can't wait to see this guy on turf. I'm glad they kept Fernando.

My Braves/Mets fandom just swung heavily towards the Met bandwagon. Eh, I go about 20 times a year anyway.

1) Having seen Gomez when he was with the Zephyrs. He is super fast, always hustles, good arm, no patience, and has a level swing (which hinders you).
2) How can you have both Braves and Mets fandom?

Yeah, how can one be both a Mets and a Braves fan? Not attacking you, just curious how the heck that happened???

Folks think I jumped on the Mets 'wagon. But, I grew up watching the Jackson Mets, seeing pro baseball for the first time around 81 or so, watching the guys that went on to become the 86 Mets. Been hooked ever since. My hatred is more towards the Braves' wagon fans that jumped on that team in the mid 90's after never supporting that team when folks like Dale Murphy were there. I try to go to Hotlanta once a year to see a Mets series. I loved it that the AAA affiliate was in NO last year. Went down then and will again this summer. But, I know they will relocate in '09 to Syracuse. At least I got to see them for a little while, right?

Yeah, how can one be both a Mets and a Braves fan? Not attacking you, just curious how the heck that happened???

Folks think I jumped on the Mets 'wagon. But, I grew up watching the Jackson Mets, seeing pro baseball for the first time around 81 or so, watching the guys that went on to become the 86 Mets. Been hooked ever since. My hatred is more towards the Braves' wagon fans that jumped on that team in the mid 90's after never supporting that team when folks like Dale Murphy were there. I try to go to Hotlanta once a year to see a Mets series. I loved it that the AAA affiliate was in NO last year. Went down then and will again this summer. But, I know they will relocate in '09 to Syracuse. At least I got to see them for a little while, right?

So do you hate me been a braves fan since I can remember, became one in the 90s.

Jackson Mets

Yeah, me too Tony...I met Daryl Straw in Jackson in '81. He paused from doing pregame long toss to sign an autograph for me. How about these former Jackson Mets from those days: Straw, Mookie, Lenny Dykstra, HoJo, Jodie Davis (later with the Cubs), Kevin Mitchell, Tufel, Jeff Reardon, Mike Scott (later with the Astros), Agulera (sp), Sid Fernandez, Ron Darling, Wally Backman, Coach Davy Johnson, pretty much that whole '86 Mets team besides Doc Gooden.

I'm a Mets fan who grew up in Bandwagon Braves territory.

Did you know Mookie was married at home plate at Smith-Wills stadium while he was a Jackson Met?

I've still got a homerun ball hit by his brother Johnny Wilson.

Let's Go Mets!!! Viva Johan!!!

Mookie got married in the Minor League Baseball style wedding, at home plate in Smith Wills Stadium in '79. Wish I were there, but I was only 3 at the time :) . I told LSU31always that I had many pictures with those guys you mentioned, but they were lost with an accident in our home when a limb went through the roof. I can say though that I was in Smith Wills the night Darryl "hit one to the Marlboro Man". For those that don't know, out in right field, there was the tall Marlboro Man sign. Darryl Strawberry hit a homerun that was still climbing as it went over the Marlboro Man. I don't know how far he hit it, but I remember it sounding like a rifle went off with the crack of the ball on the bat. Believe this or not, but we still have some of the old Jackson Mets plastic cups from way back when. I think they used to offer $1 night on homegames on Tuesday nights. I remember going to many of those games with my baseball teams over the years

Well, as confused as y'all are, try tripling my confusion.

I have been a Braves fan all of my life while also liking the Cubbies and Cards. No AL teams for me. But, not having a true home team has allowed me flexibility I suppose. When I moved to NYC, Queens area, my brother (who lives here too) and I talked sports over a few beers about who I was gonna bandwagon.

First of all, I don't know what it is, but I am NFC/NL kinda guy. So, I went with the Mets first especially because I can't stand the spoiled Yankmee mentality from the owner to the players to their fans. So, I'm in Queens about a 15 minute ride from Shea and they're in the NL, so I went with them.

Initially, I went against my NFC/NL love affair and chose the Jets as my team, but that went away pretty fast. Just couldn't gel with them. I can't say I am a Giants fan even though I've been to two games there. Both Saints games and both free. Can't say those experiences got me liking the Giants or their fans. I still say that "home" game was the worst sporting event I have ever been to.

When I pick a team to root for (not like per se), I base it on how the organization is from top to bottom. Front office, coaches, and players. Current, I really like the team that Cleveland has and can't wait to see if they can continue that success this year. When it comes to the Mets, they had some awful management, but it all changed with Manaya and Willie. They brought in the right guys (for the most part) and had all these farm system guys coming up. In these days of FA, it's really nice to see farm guys making it with their pro team and not being shuffled off elsewhere. I actually like the Mets fans too at the game. It's a blast with them. Language very familiar to me.

I feel that I FINALLY have a home team. Something I have never experience ever except the Saints of course. On top of that, I've never been in a city that had just won a championship. I'm not sure if I've been in a city with a winning team. NOLA till '87. Moved to Tampa and we all know how bad they were. Moved backed to NOLA in '00. Moved out of NOLA to NYC in '01. I always seem to miss it. Yes, I do see a pattern. Therefor, I can never live in NOLA again. I missed the Saints good years with Mora. I was in Tampa before Gruden, but Dungy was just really getting that team on track. Got to NY just after the last Yankmee WS (which I am so thankful for).

I want to be a part of a winning team for once. The Mets have that chance, but I truly have to wonder if it will happen. At this point, the closest I have come to being in a winning city was when Brazil and Italy won the World Cup(s). There are so many Brazilians and Italians in my hood, it felt as if I were there. Let me tell you something. When they celebrate, they celebrate.

I doubt this actually answers the questions, but it was a nice ride this early in the morn.

I think the Twins would have been better off to take one of the deals from Boston or New York and I hate that the Mets got Santana. Of course, I was hoping the Mets would have to give up too much in the deal if they got him, but the Twins didn't get enough IMO. Forget the guys at the bottom of the deal. No one I know would rather have Gomez and Humber over Hughes and Cabrera or Lester and Ellsbury. The Twins should have held out for Martinez and Pelfrey or no deal.

The thing about it is that Johan forced the trade over the weekend. Supposedly, his agents told the Twins to trade me now or I will not approve the trade during the season. Not wanting to lose him with only getting 2 picks in the '09 draft, the Twins had to trade him. Smith got greedy back in the owner meetings and thankfully since I am a Mets fan, had to trade him when only the Mets were serious about him.

The thing about it is that Johan forced the trade over the weekend.

Did he? ESPN reported Johan and his agent have been very professional about this whole thing. I don't remember them saying anything about Santana forcing them to make a deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom