Blockbuster Video (1 Viewer)

A lot of people don't realize it but there's still a market for renting movies/games in rural areas. Streaming is unreliable and expensive when you have satellite internet.

Redbox just realized you can fit a sheetload of DVDs in a lot less space if you don't feel the need to have giant displays of everything.

But yea Blockbuster had everything. I remember on "special" weekends I could rent a game system since parents wouldn't allow me to have one for a while.

used to be awesome going to blockbuster on a friday night to get movies/games for the weekend. once i got married we bought a bunch of movies when they had their sales for 4 for $20 and stuff.

Blockbuster was okay, but I have fonder memories of the 80s local video stores. It wasn’t huge walls full of 50 copies of the same movie - much more random, fun stuff.

Plus, with a few of them, there was always that chance you could take a quick peek in that room behind the curtain - maybe catch a glimpse of a VHS box cover.

I worked at a Blockbuster Music when I was in college at LSU. The one that was on I-10 and college.

I worked at a Blockbuster Music when I was in college at LSU. The one that was on I-10 and college.

What years did you work there? I worked at the Finish Line OTB near there the summer of '93.

worked at Video Attractions in Lake Charles for years and then Major Video in Baton Rouge. I loved everything about working at video rental stores - well, mostly everything.

and I still miss a Friday afternoon browsing the aisles and planning a weekend.

When I was a kid, getting a VCR as a family was a momentous event. I remember buying it at Chic LeBlanc's in Lake Charles and renting our first video, there - The Flamingo Kid. I was transfixed by this technology and working at a video store was a dream job for high school and university me

RIP

The Last Blockbuster twitter account is a worthy follow, incidentally

Blockbuster was okay, but I have fonder memories of the 80s local video stores. It wasn’t huge walls full of 50 copies of the same movie - much more random, fun stuff.

Plus, with a few of them, there was always that chance you could take a quick peek in that room behind the curtain - maybe catch a glimpse of a VHS box cover.

Man, we had quite a few mom and pop rental stores in the parish when I was a kid. You could always find what you wanted cause most people went to Blockbuster first and the local stores were always cheaper.

worked at Video Attractions in Lake Charles for years and then Major Video in Baton Rouge. I loved everything about working at video rental stores - well, mostly everything.

and I still miss a Friday afternoon browsing the aisles and planning a weekend.

When I was a kid, getting a VCR as a family was a momentous event. I remember buying it at Chic LeBlanc's in Lake Charles and renting our first video, there - The Flamingo Kid. I was transfixed by this technology and working at a video store was a dream job for high school and university me

RIP

The Last Blockbuster twitter account is a worthy follow, incidentally

That sounds like a lot of fun. I really like working at Blockbuster Music too. I remember we had the listening station in the middle of the store where you could pick out any CD in the store and we'd open it up and let you set there and listen to it first to decide if you wanted to buy it. I was so lost when I first started, lol.

We'd get people coming in with a verse or a part of the name of the song or who they thought the artist was wanting me to help them find it and I'd be totally lost. Like a deer in the headlights. I realized then that I liked listening to music, but I didn't know crap about artist, song names, discography's, etc. It took me about 3 months, but after a while, you could give me 2 words from a song and I'd know instantly what it was. I used to feel so proud when the customer would be so happy because they thought I wouldn't know what they hell they were talking about, but I'd figured it out within a few seconds. Lol, good days.

Ahh. The days when your parents could buy a VCR for close to a grand, and they could own a movie for about a hundred bucks.

I'm happy with streaming movies on my 60 inch Smart TV.

I don't understand how this works. Is there still a corporate office somewhere managing the franchise agreement and spearheading initiatives? Who owns the Blockbuster name and are they actively contracting with these people?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom