Blood Bowl (1 Viewer)

kcirdor

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/index.php?rub=home

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/b...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

Have you ever thought that American football could use even more primal energy and a bit of fantasy violence? Have you ever thought, "This sport is fine, but what it really needs is a couple of rat ogres clawing at each other?" If so, good news: Blood Bowl is for you. This adaptation of the Warhammer-themed board game pits your team against another and encourages players to digitally pound each other into a pulp (oh, and perhaps even score a few touchdowns as well). It's fun and addictive because the board game is fun and addictive, so expect to spend many an hour glued to your monitor, cheering and cursing. However, an unfriendly interface, problematic AI, and a few other issues tackle Blood Bowl just short of the end zone.

This strategy game combines Football with the Warhammer universe in a brutal Pigskin Footbrawl type atmosphere. For strategy fans I highly recommend getting this game for your PC. It was released on Xbox and PSP as well. But I find strategy games better on PC. I purchased this game last week during the Holiday Sale on Steam. Logged plenty of hours getting addicted to this one.

There are several races to choose from ranging from Dwarfs to Elves to Goblins, etc.. Each race has their own unique abilities and classes. Each player has a set amount of move points to move along the board. Encounters with opponents are resolved by rolling attack/block dice. You get bonus to your roll when you surround your opponent before attacking/blocking. The game is a little difficult early on getting the strategy down. But once you get the hang of it, it is as addicting as Civilization.

I haven't encountered any real big issues or bugs playing the game. Just a few frustrating failed moves here and there, but that is the fun in it. Each move you make has risk/reward. If you fail a dice roll your turn is over. If you succeed in making a risky move you feel a sense of reward if you can capitalize into a score or a turnover. If you make the wrong move before you complete you turns strategy you can be left defenseless as the wood elves chuck the ball down field.

I haven't played online yet, but I believe the level of strategy offline makes for some great chess duels awaiting online.

I used to love Mutant League Football as well.

There is a "live" version of Bloodbowl you can play as opposed to the turn based rules. I haven't tried it yet. I started playing with the board game rules to learn how to play. Now, I am playing a campaign with a team trying to level up my team to try and use online. The live version seems like it could be similar to Mutant League.

It's pretty bad that I'll be heading to mom's after work to get the footlocker filled with the several metric tons of warhammer stuff. Figures, terrain...

I blame this thread.

It's pretty bad that I'll be heading to mom's after work to get the footlocker filled with the several metric tons of warhammer stuff. Figures, terrain...

I blame this thread.

My 12 yo got into Warhammer a few months ago. I started doing it with him to help him with the models. Next thing I know I have 3600 points of Eldar for myself and I'm at Games Workshop playing all the time. I'm starting to work on putting my own table at my house.

I have a clue as to what it is, I just have no clue what it is about. I just like their sport.

Care to elaborate Saint by the Bay or OhioSaintsFan?

I have a clue as to what it is, I just have no clue what it is about. I just like their sport.

Care to elaborate Saint by the Bay or OhioSaintsFan?

Taken directly from the Games Workshop website:
So, what exactly is Warhammer 40,000?

In a nutshell, each player collects an army of Citadel miniatures then, using the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook as a guideline, they fight epic battles against their fellow generals. Dice (like you'd find in almost any board game) are used to determine success and failure: to decide whether a bolter shell hits its target, or whether a lascannon blasts through the armour of a tank. Each game is played, not on a regular 'board' but on a special gaming area where models are not confined to 'squares' but are free to move as their controller wishes. Because Warhammer 40,000 is not played on a set game board, tape measures or rulers are used to see how far a miniature can move - an agile Eldar jetbike can travel faster than a foot-slogging Imperial Guardsman after all.

That all might sound a little complicated, but most Warhammer 40,000 players find that after just a short game or two they've grasped the basics. Seasoned Warhammer 40,000 generals find that the rules become second nature, and they seldom need to refer to the rulebook at all.

It's a blast if you enjoy strategy games. There are a number of different armies with different strengths and weaknesses and even within a single army type there are lots of different units to build your "list" from. Each person is allotted a certain amount of points and every unit has a cost. Generally I play at 2,000 points. You have everything from foot soldier cannon fodder to massive tanks that can fire clear across the table. You can play different types of games from annihilation (kill the most) to games based on capturing and controlling objectives placed on the table.

Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Just sounds rather expensive to get into.

Sounds like something I'd enjoy. Just sounds rather expensive to get into.

There's an initial cost but once you have your models there's hardly any ongoing cost unless you want to build more armies. I spent 300-400 to get my army together. That's models, paints, brushes, glue and all the other things needed for the "hobby" part of it. There are people who just do the hobby part of making and painting the models and don't even play. I even bought a paint gun and air compressor to hook it up to that I use to basecoat my models.

Once you have your army it's free to play at Games Workshop or any number of other hobby shops that have tables.

You can get entire 2500+ point armies on EBay in the $250 range. I'm going to start working on my second army (Chaos Space Marines) in the next couple of months.

SBTB, would you please ban me from this thread now? I will be in a big trouble if I get addicted to another :nerd: hobby.

Once you have your army it's free to play at Games Workshop or any number of other hobby shops that have tables.

I accidentally walked into one of these stores in the Mall of Georgia in Buford. I didn't now what "games workshop" was ended up finding it on the "you are here" map. My nephews wanted to check out the video games while we were there and I was trying to find a gamestop. There are no video games in games workshop stores... Ended up taking a quick walk through to look at the shop. The tables they had were pretty elaborate with little mountains and trees. They had rows of baskets with some figurines in them. With an assortment of other fantasy board games on a shelf by the register. The game definantly looks like a blast just from the figurines and the table they had set up. Plus playing Blood Bowl gives me a good idea of how the game works.

I knew I should have checked this before I left work. SbtB answered the questions really well.

I have this foot locker open and am just amazed. I'm going all Professor Frink geek. I think I could put together 2 5k point Space Marine armies.

:nerdgasm:

this has reached a whole new level of nerdom

carry on

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom