Blu Rays saved to Hard drive (1 Viewer)

Big_L

Team Big Pimpin'
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Is there a legal, economical way to download and save Blu Rays I own onto a hard drive? I want to do this so I can pack away my discs, but still access my movies should I feel the need.

I do this to keep from wearing out my disks, but technically, it's against the law. You aren't even allowed to rip your own movies for your own use by law.

The moment you crack DRM (Digital Rights Managemnt) to rip the DVD, you've violated Title I of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. 17 U.S.C. 1201 prohibits circumvention of DRM . . . Some courts have tried to leaven this rather harsh rule, but most have not. While it's typically hard to detect small-scale circumvention, the question is whether bypassing DRM is legal. The statute sets up some minor exceptions, but our ripper doesn't fall into any of them. So, the moment a studio protects the DVD with DRM, it gains both a technical and a legal advantage—ripping is almost certainly unlawful.

Damn, I thought you were ok if you owned the disc. Thanks for the heads up.

you can rip it with makemkv.com then if you want to convert it to MP4 and/or make the file smaller use handbrake to convert it.
I did this with most of my dvd's/blu rays, especially the kids disc's because they are animals and destroy everything.
I have everything on a synology nas and use plex to stream it to all the tv's, works very well for us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom