Blue Collar, Lunch Pail Guys Thru the Years (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking of some of the players that we've had on this team that weren't exactly superstars but guys who always brought the hard work ethic and solid play game in and game out back through the years.
I can't really do the 60's but here are a few from the decades I can remember. I'm really looking forward to some of your responses;
ones that will make you think "Oh yeah I remember him".

Derland Moore, Tommy Meyers, Wayne Wilson, Eugene Goodlow,
Buford Jordan, Fred MacAfee, Jim Wilks, Wayne Martin and one guy I personally really miss and think was undervalued: Willie Whitehead

Def: LaRoi Glover, Renaldo Turnbull, Vaughn Johnson, Sammy Knight

Off: Ironhead, Joel Hilgenberg, Hoby Brenner

Spec: Beerman, Tyrone Hughes

Gil%20Fennerty.jpg

Gil Fennerty

Hokie Gajan, Wayne Wilson, Bruce Clark

Steve Gleason anyone?

Jerry Fontenot
Deuce (he was really only a superstar in NO)
Terrelle Smith (see name above)

RICKY!!

Wow! What memories!

Robert "Pig" Goff
Floyd Turner
Quinn Early
Frank Warren
Vaughn Johnson
Eric Martin
Guido Merkins

Conrad Dobler was a great OL in St. Louis with Don Coryell pre-San Diego teams, but he's always struck me as a guy who despite his celebrity status and "dirtiest NFL player" persona, avoided press attention only when it exaggerated his "evil, diabolical" image from Cossell and others on MNF. Like Stan Brock, Dombrowski, he took pride in the anonymity O-lines get tagged with, was a huge reason our O-line finally improved and Archie had his best seasons as QB, its a shame there weren't 5-6 Dobler-types on those defenses, otherwise we, instead of Atlanta, would've won some division titles in the late 70's/early 80's before Montana came along. Atlanta had Glanville's Gritz Blitz with a good O-line, Bartkowski(who was good but not as talented as Archie), we had 2 of these 3 things but what we lacked kept us from going further. Nolan's Flex defense works with system players placed in to develop gradually, our 78, 79, especially 80 teams didn't have that. Its a shame but that what happens when any team's chemistry gets destroyed by drugs and internal dissension, the 1980 Saints, were early poster boys for the drug problems that plagued many NFL teams throughout the 80's.

I'll add Hebert, Wesley Walls, La'Roi(wished we'd kept him over Johnson), Fontenot, Lance Moore, maybe Shockey more so now then in NY, Will Smith, Beerman, and Wayne Martin.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom