Bluray - under investigation for patent infringement (1 Viewer)

The Mongoose

Porkers?
Reaction score
Blu-Ray Under Investigation for Patent Infringement? news from 1UP.com

When Toshiba bowed out of the HD-DVD game last February, most people believed that we'd seen the last salvo in the acrimonious format wars. Sony's Blu-ray format -- and by default its iconic blue laser -- would embrace its destiny as the physical hi-definition medium of choice in the 21st century.

But hold on -- what's this? According to an announcement posted over at the website of the US International Trade Commission, a widespread investigation has just begun into the legal particularities of several huge companies intimately involved in the Blu-ray hardware and electronics business. Up for debate? Whether or not all that fancy blue laser technology in your hardware may actually violate several previously undisclosed intellectual property patents. In other words: potentially big trouble for the electronics industry...

I doubt it. Most likely just big payouts to any patent holders or big time lawyers. There is too much money tied up across many industries to let this sink Blu-ray.

"blu-ray is the debil"

Attachments

• bluraydebil.jpg
    bluraydebil.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 138
i can't read the full article at work...doesn't who owns these "intellectual properties"?

From the link in the article:
NEWS RELEASE 08-027; March 20, 2008

The investigation is based on a complaint filed by Gertrude Neumark Rothschild of Hartsdale, NY, on February 20, 2008. The complaint alleges violations of section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930 in the importation into the United States of certain short-wavelength light emitting diodes, laser diodes, and products containing same that infringe a patent owned by Rothschild. The complainant requests that the ITC issue exclusion orders and cease and desist orders.The ITC has identified the following as respondents in this investigation:

Avago Technologies of Singapore;
Bacol Optoelectonic Co. Ltd. of Taiwan;
Dominant Semiconductors Sdn. Bhd. of Malaysia;
Everlight Electronics Co., Ltd., of Taiwan;
Exceed Perseverance Electronic Ind. Co., Ltd., of China;
Guangzhou Hongli Opto-Electronic Co., Ltd., of China;
Harvatek Internaional Inc. of Taiwan;
Hitachi, Ltd., of Japan;
Kingbright Electronic Co., Ltd., of Taiwan;
LG Electronics of Korea;
Lite-On Technology Corp. of Taiwan;
Lucky Light Electronics Co., Ltd., of China;
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd., of Japan;
Motorola, Inc., of Schaumburg, IL;
Nokia of Finland;
Opto Tech Corporation of Taiwan;
Pioneer Corporation of Japan;
Rohm Co., Ltd., of Japan;
Samsung Group of Korea;
Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd., of Japan;
Seoul Semiconductor Co., Ltd., of Korea;
Sharp Corporation of Japan;
Shenzhen Unilight Electronic Co., Ltd., of China;
Shinano Kenshi Co., Ltd., of Japan;
Sony Corporation of Japan;
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications AB of Sweden;
Stanley Electric Co., Ltd., of Japan;
Toshiba Corporation of Japan;
Vishay Intertechnology, Inc., of Malvern, PA; and
Yellow Stone Corporation of Taiwan.

I thought that this happened last year already?

grabbing for straws..

No, not really. Just trying to spark some discussion on the otherwise nearly-vacant video game board.

Even if this suit has merit, I doubt it will affect Sony or the PS3 very much. So they would have to pay some penalty in the worse case. Microsoft paid $1 billion to fix bricked consoles -- didn't really change anything in the console war.

I just brought it up to get some sort of discussion going. This place has been dead lately.

i think everyone is either watching blu-ray movies or waiting to get their x-box back from microsoft :hihi:

lol. I think the entire board goes off to get their fixes on other sites during the slow offseason.

you know he too busy watching all the movies he bought for 7.99 in glorious 1080p HD! to worry about blu-ray.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom