Bo Jackson says he would run 350+ on Saints (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emmitt Smith: 1990-2004, 5'9"-221lbs
95.5 yards per game

Walter Payton: 1975-1987, 5'10"-200lbs
111.9 yards per game

Barry Sanders: 1989-1998, 5'8"-203lbs
118.9 yards per game

Bo Jackson: 1987-1990, 6'1"-227lbs
82.5 yards per game

The top three running backs in the history of the NFL played in the same era or earlier than Bo Jackson. They were all physically more comparable to Alvin Kamara. They were all head and shoulders above Bo Jackson. If Bo Jackson was that good why is he so far behind the very best?
LMAO

Jackson was walking in the door playing half seasons with no training camp.

Let's do yards per carry and yards per catch:

Emmitt Smith: 4.2/6.3

Walter Payton: 4.4/9.2

Barry Sanders: 5.0/8.3

Bo Jackson: 5.4/8.8

All those other guys were getting 20 carries a game, Bo about 14.

Remember, no training camp, just walking onto the team in week 6 after baseball. Which means he's a smart dude, picks up the offense in a heartbeat.

Smith ran behind one of the best OL in NFL history and to me is WILDLY overrated.

Payton grinded on a lot of mediocre teams, and deserves his props.

Jim Brown always gave Sanders credit as the one guy he admired (much more so than Smith).

But there was only one Bo Jackson.

LMAO

Jackson was walking in the door playing half seasons with no training camp.

Let's do yards per carry and yards per catch:

Emmitt Smith: 4.2/6.3

Walter Payton: 4.4/9.2

Barry Sanders: 5.0/8.3

Bo Jackson: 5.4/8.8

All those other guys were getting 20 carries a game, Bo about 14.

Remember, no training camp, just walking onto the team in week 6 after baseball. Which means he's a smart dude, picks up the offense in a heartbeat.

Smith ran behind one of the best OL in NFL history and to me is WILDLY overrated.

Payton grinded on a lot of mediocre teams, and deserves his props.

Jim Brown always gave Sanders credit as the one guy he admired (much more so than Smith).

But there was only one Bo Jackson.

I'm supposed to give props to a guy who didn't make himself available to his team? Who caught one pass per game on average? Who's supposed to be the best player on offense but they only gave him the ball 14-15 times a game? Nah. The funny thing about averages is they tend to go down as volume increases. Bo Jackson never got the volume and yet his per game averages are so far below the best that he doesn't even compare to Alvin Kamara.

K

Attachments

• 6566A970-3812-4CDF-81F7-6449688E8C48.jpeg
    6566A970-3812-4CDF-81F7-6449688E8C48.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2
Reminds me of when they interviewed the all time Cardinal baseball great, Stan Musial, after expansion had watered down the pitching so bad in MLB.

Reporter: “Hey Stan! What do you think you would hit against today’s pitching??”

Stan: “Oh I don’t know.....maybe .304 or .305”

Reporter: “But Stan!! You are a lifetime .330 hitter”

Stan: “Yeah but you have to understand, I’m 67 years old”

Ummm...Bo was that good. Not to mention that he is from a generation that worked extremely hard, had grit, and heart. Athletes these days are coddled, sensitive, and soft as baby poop. He would either truck someone or just run right past them. Just like he did in an era that actually allowed hard hitting. Lots of dirty and borderline dirty hits back then. You can’t tell me that what AP did when he came into the league (crap ton of 200+ games) and still gashing defenses are the age of 80 years old, that if Bo was in his prime he couldn’t do the same or better. Heck, look at Derrick Henry. Defenses are scared to hit that guy

Yes Bo was good but he was not that good to make such an asinine statement that he could run for 350-400 yards a week against todays athletes playing in the NFL!!

350 yards a game x 16 games.............................well..............do the math and realize how stupid that really sounds!!

Yes he was a great back but he was and is human and the human that could accomplish something like that hasn't been born yet.

As I said before.........................................Bo was a great athlete but his train has definitely taken a detour to fantasy island.

What is our current streak for holding a back to less than 100 yards again?

And furthermore defenses have been strapped in about every way possible. Defensive backs have it the worst but any player trying to tackle a running back now has to be careful of helmet to helmet - no matter if the running back is the one who initiates it or not. So defenders basically have to aim for the hip and lower just to avoid a penalty, ejection, or fine. Probably why we are seeing more running backs leaping over defenders now.
The record is 53.

We are currently at 44.

We would break the record in the last game of this season.

All I did was say Bo played in a much more physical era and another guy can't wait to throw some more "stats" about it. Whatever. I missed the part where I said he was the greatest ever or something... 🙄

And Emitt Smith, seriously?

Bo is delusional. Great athlete but wake up.

He ran for 2,762 in his four years. Mario Bates ran for 2,554 his first four years. Cmon Bo.

Bo wasnt on pace to do anything special on the ground yardage wise.

In those 4 years he played in 38 games and never attended a training camp since he didn't report to the Raiders until the Royals season was over. He also split time with Marcus Allen. In those 38 games he rushed for an average of 72.68 yds but I firmly believe he would have had much more with training camp and not having split time with Allen while he was playing.

I will also say that he is right in that todays players just don't know how to tackle. It isn't taught at the NFL level anymore and they don't practice it. Teams are only allowed I believe 13 padded practices during the season and in the traning camps that I have atttended plays are stopped as soon as it LOOKS like sometime is going to be taken to the ground. Many defensive playes tend to throw a shoulder and hope to knock the runner down or go high without watching the hips. Hit the runner at the WASTE and WRAP the hell up!

Yes Bo was good but he was not that good to make such an asinine statement that he could run for 350-400 yards a week against todays athletes playing in the NFL!!

350 yards a game x 16 games.............................well..............do the math and realize how stupid that really sounds!!

Yes he was a great back but he was and is human and the human that could accomplish something like that hasn't been born yet.

As I said before.........................................Bo was a great athlete but his train has definitely taken a detour to fantasy island.
People tend to exaggerate wording to enhance what they are saying. Just as if you said “I tried a million times” when actually you tried 10 or 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 tries. It’s still a form of great number, but that is just the style of communication that we have all come to use. What Bo is actually saying is that he would straight gash today’s defenses in terms of dominance on his part. That could be to the tune of 100+ or 150+ or 200+ 250+ or even 300+ a game. You have zoned in on one part of what he was conveying, instead of actually understanding what he was saying, by the way he was saying it. Let me help break it down in a better sense. Bo’s lowest ypc was 4.3 and that was his worst BY FAR. Think about that. The bench mark for good/great RBs is 4 ypc. His other years were 5.5, 5.6, and 6.8 as a rookie. So, in 4 years, his worst was 4.3. Now, imagine if that guy actually focused on playing just football and had a full season of workload. So, no Bo has not wandered off to fantasy land. He knows he was a bad Mofo and he would indeed wreck shop in today’s game

Emmitt Smith: 1990-2004, 5'9"-221lbs
95.5 yards per game

Walter Payton: 1975-1987, 5'10"-200lbs
111.9 yards per game

Barry Sanders: 1989-1998, 5'8"-203lbs
118.9 yards per game

Bo Jackson: 1987-1990, 6'1"-227lbs
82.5 yards per game

The top three running backs in the history of the NFL played in the same era or earlier than Bo Jackson. They were all physically more comparable to Alvin Kamara. They were all head and shoulders above Bo Jackson. If Bo Jackson was that good why is he so far behind the very best?
Do you realize that he was splitting arries with Marcus Allen? Less touches by a wide margin than those you mentioned😂

From the article:
"Over his four-year career in the NFL, Jackson averaged 73.2 yards per game."

That's just rushing. He averaged 9.3 yards receiving per game, so 82.5 yards per game.

For reference, not including this year, Kamara has averaged 99.5 yards per game through 45 games, rushing and receiving while being 10-15lbs lighter than Bo Jackson.

Walter Payton averaged 111.9 yards per game in the same and an earlier era.

So no, no Bo Jackson would not average anything close to that. This is just "back in my day!" nonsense.
He was also a part time player and shared the backfield with Marcus Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom