Bo Jackson says he would run 350+ on Saints (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Emmitt Smith: 1990-2004, 5'9"-221lbs
95.5 yards per game

Walter Payton: 1975-1987, 5'10"-200lbs
111.9 yards per game

Barry Sanders: 1989-1998, 5'8"-203lbs
118.9 yards per game

Bo Jackson: 1987-1990, 6'1"-227lbs
82.5 yards per game

The top three running backs in the history of the NFL played in the same era or earlier than Bo Jackson. They were all physically more comparable to Alvin Kamara. They were all head and shoulders above Bo Jackson. If Bo Jackson was that good why is he so far behind the very best?
Of these, I would take Barry Sanders. The most underrated running back of any era. He was different, special. He wasn't surrounded by talent at all but he really did make defenders miss and slide off of him like that clip of Bo Jackson from Tecmo Bowl game

What a lot of you fail to see is how special Bo really was. Bo and his former coaches have stated that Bo barely worked out in a gym setting. Heck, there were times when he didn’t even get to practice bc of his obligation to playing two sports. That dude’s muscle composition, power, speed, and agility was touched by the hand of God. And if anyone knows anything about sports and nutrition, then you would understand that if Bo had access to all of the health information, and equipment that athletes have today, then maybe he would have been even more incredible than he was back then. Plus, what many don’t understand is that different sports uses different body movements. So, you have to work out different muscles in order to train. Bo didn’t work out or train. He just went out there and only made Pro Bowls and All Star games). Plenty of athletes have played multiple sports, but no one made them look as easy as Bo did. Not even Neon Deion, who was a truly gifted athlete as well. That is how incredible that guy was. Now, you put a guy with the size and speed (like Bo) in the soft, non tackling era of football that we have today, he would in fact dominate. Players back then wanted no part of Bo and those guys made a living on laying the lumber, with intentionally trying to knock players out of the game. This era of football is so watered down to previous eras that it’s appalling

He just went out there and only made Pro Bowls and All Star games).

That would be Pro Bowl and All Star game. He had some amazing highlights and some great commercials, but as far as his career went... if you blinked you missed it. The legend has far outpaced the reality.

That would be Pro Bowl and All Star game. He had some amazing highlights and some great commercials, but as far as his career went... if you blinked you missed it. The legend has far outpaced the reality.
No, defenses blinked they missed. Doesn’t matter that his career was cut short. I can say that his ability only adds to the legend that was Bo. That guy suffered an injury that ENDS careers in all sports. He continued to play baseball. Though not at the level he was before, but that is extremely impressive in its own right. Same injury as Tua (is probably what you are thinking), but Bo’s was worst and medical advancement was not the same back then as it is now. Look, you guys can nitpick how short his career was or lack of touches he had, but what you can’t nitpick the fact that he was so darn special that he WAS and still IS legendary. The sports world was robbed by his injury and as I can see, many failed to truly appreciate how insane that guy was while playing. Plus, since you want to simply state only one Pro Bowl and only one All Star game, he’s the only athlete in history to ever get the nod for both.

Last edited:
Bo will probably be the best athlete that ever played in the NFL and no one will remember in 20-30 years because he doesn't hold any records. He is my generation's Gayle Sayers.

If somebody has that game from 1988 when the Raiders came to the Dome to play the Saints, they need to share it with these youngsters. Let them know that what’s up.

You read my mind :)

Below is the only version I've seen on YT has the first three quarters in one video, then the same channel owner has the fourth quarter in a separate video. Bo was fresh off the baseball season with the KC Royals and wasn't in football shape yet. He had two runs in the first quarter that had the Dome Patrol on its heels, but then strained a hammy and didn't play again the rest of the game.

That's a possibility but this is a trend with old, retired players and they always use it to claim players today are too soft. Modern players are better athletes than 99% of old players were because they devote their lives to the game. Modern medicine, nutrition and bigger paychecks allow them to do that.

Right let's just dismiss their say. I mean after all, they only actually PLAYED in the NFL. What do they know?

lol @ "nutrition". They ate steak and fried chicken slathered in gravy made of rubber bits and shrapnel, drank all night, and smoked on the sidelines. Then they went and played both offense AND defense the whole game with guys literally trying to KILL them. Better athletes? Meh, debatable, but they were certainly better MEN.

lol @ "medicine" !!?? They huffed smelling salts instead of going to the wussy blue "concussion" tent. They injected anti-freeze and chewed on batteries when they needed a boost. They didn't need no stinking medicine.

Last edited:
You read my mind :)

Below is the only version I've seen on YT has the first three quarters in one video, then the same channel owner has the fourth quarter in a separate video. Bo was fresh off the baseball season with the KC Royals and wasn't in football shape yet. He had two runs in the first quarter that had the Dome Patrol on its heels, but then strained a hammy and didn't play again the rest of the game.

Heck Ya!!!! There it is at the 1:22.00 mark. BANG! Lol

Thanks for posting that! I was in the stands with my Dad right above the end zone where Ironhead ran that one in. Great memory.

Last edited:
Right let's just dismiss their say. I mean after all, they only actually PLAYED in the NFL. What do they know?

lol @ "nutrition". They ate steak and fried chicken slathered in gravy made of rubber bits and shrapnel, drank all night, and smoked on the sidelines. Then they went and played both offense AND defense the whole game with guys literally trying to KILL them. Better athletes? Meh, debatable, but they were certainly better MEN.

So it's a **** waving contest.

Dismissal of an answer

I'm not going to dignify a ridiculous ad hominem, SweetT. If you can't handle someone not idolizing an old player who didn't produce much in his career then that's your problem, not mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the privilege of seeing Bo Jackson play in college 1985 against my Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns (USL back then) I was on the sidelines. He was a man amongst boys back then. Had close to 200 yds in the first half alone. Didn't play in the 3rd, and I think only had 2-3 carries in the 4th. Finished the day with around 240 yds. He was truly amazing to watch. After the game, we went on the field to meet him. He was as nice as he was great. Not saying Bo would run for 350+ on the Saints defense, but then again, I wouldn't have bet against it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom