Bo Jackson says he would run 350+ on Saints (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I said he could’ve. Why are you arguing this so hard? Are people in here saying Bo is the most productive Running Back ever? He was arguably the most talented football player ever and if he committed to it, no telling what he could’ve done. 5.2 yards a carry by someone off the street is remarkable. He was Tyreek Hill in Derrick Henry’s body.

Bo Jackson himself said he could run 350-400YPG on today's defenses. Nothing he did in his career indicates this is even close to true.

Once again, I do not care what a player looked like. I do not care how much talent he may or may not have had. I do not care if he was the greatest athlete to ever walk the earth. What he actually did is all that matters. Saying if he had more touches, if he cared more, if he hadn't been injured is completely irrelevant. He didn't get more touches, he didn't care more, and he got injured. He accomplished what he accomplished and there's nothing to indicate he would have done more.

If we're going to say but if this and this and that and that then we might as well say Bo Jackson could rush for 1000YPG with an entire front seven literally on his back. If we aren't going to judge a player by what they actually did then what's the point? It's nostalgia and people whining that the game has become "soft."

That’s a bit of a stretch. Maybe 250.

But only because he’s 58 and has a fake hip.

Bo Jackson scored 18 touchdowns in his entire NFL career. Dalton Hilliard did that in 1 season.

The problem is durability. Bo Jackson couldn’t stay on the field. And it was due to injuries of the non-contact variety. He’d still be pulling his hamstrings and dislocating his hip in today’s NFL.

In his first three years, he had 23 starts in 28 possible games. So it's not like he was constantly unavailable.
Of these, I would take Barry Sanders. The most underrated running back of any era. He was different, special. He wasn't surrounded by talent at all but he really did make defenders miss and slide off of him like that clip of Bo Jackson from Tecmo Bowl game
Agree 100% on Sanders. Also harder to bring down after contact than people realize. Mike Lupica called him, with some justification, "Michael Jordan in cleats."

Man, how I have to come back to check you!!!
Bo was so good that he ate into Marcus Allen’s touches. Bo wasn’t “second fiddle” in 89 (Allen was injured) and 90. He could have been the clear #1 had he not divided his time to playing two sports😂. In 90, Bo beat Allen in rushing yards despite having 54 less carries and 5 less games. Show yourself the door man. What did Bo ever do to you?!?! If Bo was not all that (like you claim), then why would an organization allow him to play another sport, with the hopes that he even consider playing part time? He was THAT GOOD.
End/thread

You're asking why Al Davis of all people would pay a highly marketable player with an (apparently) cult like following to get people in the seats when the Raiders were going 8-8, 5-10, 7-9, 8-8 and finally 12-4 in Jackson's last season? The same Al Davis who was a meme before there were memes because he prized speed above all else in a player?

Context is everything. If you read the article Bo was simply making a point. Obviously he was exaggerating.

“It’s like this — and I watch technique — I don’t see nobody hitting or wrapping up. Everyone is running into each other and using their shoulder pads to knock the ballcarrier down. And I’m like, if I played during this era, I would be averaging 350-400 yards a game.”

He's absolutely right. The tackling in the NFL is atrocious. Does anyone think he literally meant that he would average 350-400 yards a game?

Context is everything. If you read the article Bo was simply making a point. Obviously he was exaggerating.

He's absolutely right. The tackling in the NFL is atrocious. Does anyone think he literally meant that he would average 350-400 yards a game?

I didn't bother addressing this because the tackling wasn't really any better then than it is today. The only difference is today you get flagged for spearing, leading with the head and throwing your shoulder. The NFL has always been about the hit instead of good, proper tackling. The NFL made a fortune on "big hits." If you want good tackling then watch rugby and Aussie football. American football is still a good ten years away from seeing proper tackling at the professional level because the first generation of kids to grow up learning to play that way aren't that old yet. The guys we see today grew up being rewarded for hitting not tackling and now they aren't allowed to hit.

You're asking why Al Davis of all people would pay a highly marketable player with an (apparently) cult like following to get people in the seats when the Raiders were going 8-8, 5-10, 7-9, 8-8 and finally 12-4 in Jackson's last season? The same Al Davis who was a meme before there were memes because he prized speed above all else in a player?
It’s 100% clear that you are trying to throw crap on a wall, hoping that something sticks. It’s been fun bantering with you. Don’t worry, I won’t hold any ill will towards you in the future.

It’s 100% clear that you are trying to throw crap on a wall, hoping that something sticks. It’s been fun bantering with you. Don’t worry, I won’t hold any ill will towards you in the future.

This from a guy who wanted to know how old I was like that matters. I'm sorry I find one of your idols' production so lackluster. I don't award extra points for effort or potential.

I didn't bother addressing this because the tackling wasn't really any better then than it is today. The only difference is today you get flagged for spearing, leading with the head and throwing your shoulder. The NFL has always been about the hit instead of good, proper tackling. The NFL made a fortune on "big hits." If you want good tackling then watch rugby and Aussie football. American football is still a good ten years away from seeing proper tackling at the professional level because the first generation of kids to grow up learning to play that way aren't that old yet. The guys we see today grew up being rewarded for hitting not tackling and now they aren't allowed to hit.

Much respect for the insight here. Like a lot of fans, I grew up watching fierce defenses led by fierce men, like Ronnie Lott and Steve Atwater. Today's game is a joke on defense compared to previous eras. But you're indeed correct about the difference between "tackling" and "hitting."

This from a guy who wanted to know how old I was like that matters. I'm sorry I find one of your idols' production so lackluster. I don't award extra points for effort or potential.

Because you write like a dumb kid with no respect for what came before you. You probably think LeBron is better than Michael Jordan too....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom