Bo Pelini? DC??? (1 Viewer)

I could be wrong, but I believe Pelini fielded a top 5 defense every year during his first stint as LSU DC.
So.........

Pelini ran a 4/3 scheme at LSU and Nebraska. The biggest complaint against his defenses is he tried to run a two gap scheme for his DT which was too complicated. However, I assume LSU had to run a two gap scheme in the 3/4 as well. So, the adjustment may not be so hard?

He had a top 3 defense 3 years in a row. That won't happen again because of the offense we run now, but he will produce a lot more turnovers and sacks than we had the last few years. He was a very respectable head coach at Nebraska with at least 9 wins every year. It has been a dumpster fire since they let him go.

That is exactly why they were ranked top 5 D while he was here. Getting the players to understand every aspect of every D call and knowing it without hesitation/thought.

IF he can manage that again, we will be just fine.

That is exactly why they were ranked top 5 D while he was here. Getting the players to understand every aspect of every D call and knowing it without hesitation/thought.

IF he can manage that again, we will be just fine.
Use four men to put pressure on the passer and use the rest to cover the field.

1) See ball.
2) Get ball.

Unfortunately the DL personnel is "heavy" for the type of linemen he likes to throw out there. I am hoping he is willing to be more multiple than in the past as well, as a base 4-3 is not the best alignment to combat the spread.
Andre Anthony, Ray Thorton, Travez Moore, Soni Fonua, etc can all play WDE with their hand in the dirt. Glen Logan can play outside at SDE well as Justin Thomas, Nelson Jenkins, Jacquelin Roy, etc. I'm sure I'm leaving out some names. NT is really the only true "fit" that's difficult to find and they have two really good ones. Shelvin and Ika can slide right over to the 1-tech and push upfield instead. They played plenty with 4 down linemen under Aranda. No one plays a true 3-4/4-3 anymore anyway. It's all multiple fronts and matchups today. Even under Aranda they rarely saw 4 LBers on the field. You typically saw 3 DL + Chaisson, 2 LBers and 5 DBs. Chaisson seemed to be 50/50 on the line/off the line because he was so athletic.

Its going to be interesting...

I'm waiting for someone to ask him why he didn't offer a scholarship to Joe Burrow. Lol
The very reason he is back to DCing for another school. :scratch:

I love Bo. I thought that the Huskers let him go for no good reason. ( Just like they did with Frank Solich ) His players would run through walls for that man. His fiery competitiveness is exactly what we needed and yet since Tom Osbourne was so cool and reserved, Husker fans didn't know how to accept his temperament. We got spoiled on success through T.O's quiet mentoring techniques that anything else seemed undignified. The truth be told, if I had to get in a back alley fight, I want that guy on my side. I wish him much success at LSU. Maybe the Def Coord gig will allow him to restart his career.

He had a top 3 defense 3 years in a row. That won't happen again because of the offense we run now, but he will produce a lot more turnovers and sacks than we had the last few years. He was a very respectable head coach at Nebraska with at least 9 wins every year. It has been a dumpster fire since they let him go.
As a Husker fan, I agree with you. Nebraska's Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst and before Eichorst, Steve Peterson, have screwed up everything Tom Osbourne built and rebuilt. TO hand picked Frank Solich to replace him when he retired and all Frank did was win at least 9 games / year. (except 2002 7 wins ) Tom then had to come in out of retirement and fix Peterson's fork up and hire Bo Pelini. All Pelini did was win at least 9 games/year and return to respectability. Then Eichorst Tom's pretty much too old to do it again so hopefully Scott Frost and some throwback Huskers can rebuild that program again. In the meantime, I hope Bo is successful at LSU. And don't get me started on the Joe Burrow topic. LOL. Adrian Martinez and/ or Luke McCaffery better have a break out season or the pitch forks will be out in Huskerland.

• 1Like
Reactions: MLU
Well the Pellini Era off to a terrible start. We have given up over 600 yards twice in 3 games (Moo State and now Mizzou)

Well the Pellini Era off to a terrible start. We have given up over 600 yards twice in 3 games (Moo State and now Mizzou)

I understand we only returned 3 starters to the defense. I get that but this defense is historically bad, the players look confused out there. I think Pelini should be on the hot seat already....we just gave up 45 points and 600 yards of offense to freakin Mizzou....what do you think will happen when Bama, Auburn, Florida and A&M play this sad excuse for a defense.

I knew LSU would struggle at times this season but this defensive ineptness is way beyond the pale....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom